: It must be spring time, Honda lawn mower

creeker
03-01-10, 06:27 PM
Well it's time to mow my lawn, hopefully some one else has a honda lawn mower,I have a mod.# HRR216DC, it's a self propelled model, 6 years old, very good mower, it's sputtering a bit and I would like to find the fuel filter, it does not show it in owners manual, although in trouble shooting section it says to replace fuel filter, I also tried on google, no luck.
Does anyone know where fuel filter is located?, thanks.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-01-10, 06:52 PM
I'm surprised it has a fuel filter as most small motors don't. We have an old Briggs and Straton powered mower and it has no fuel filter. I just take the float bowl off the carb once a year and clean it out because that's where all the gunk gets caught.

Are you really having to mow your yard already? I still have about 5" of snow over mine.

Night Wolf
03-01-10, 07:17 PM
Unless it is an in-tank pickup with a small filter, then it would be inline somewhere, a pushmower would just have a screen, if anything.

Have you already replaced the spark plug with proper gapped plug, check/replace/clean the air filter, oil change, sharpen/balance the blade? Also you may have bad gas, try removing what you can from the tanka nd run fresh gas thru it. 6yrs shouldn't be old enough to need any carb attention, but ya never know.

creeker
03-01-10, 08:07 PM
Unless it is an in-tank pickup with a small filter, then it would be inline somewhere, a pushmower would just have a screen, if anything.

Have you already replaced the spark plug with proper gapped plug, check/replace/clean the air filter, oil change, sharpen/balance the blade? Also you may have bad gas, try removing what you can from the tanka nd run fresh gas thru it. 6yrs shouldn't be old enough to need any carb attention, but ya never know.

With the exception of fresh gas I did all that other stuff, big believer in preventative maintenance, I'll buy some new gas and drain the system.
thanks

creeker
03-01-10, 08:15 PM
I'm surprised it has a fuel filter as most small motors don't. We have an old Briggs and Straton powered mower and it has no fuel filter. I just take the float bowl off the carb once a year and clean it out because that's where all the gunk gets caught.

Are you really having to mow your yard already? I still have about 5" of snow over mine.

Yeh, imagine that and in canada too eh!, I have a few people that I
also mow their lawns, One customer phoned me in early february to
mow their lawn. I live near Vancouver british columbia and it's like spring here, lawns and flowers and stuff are growing, trees are budding, etc,
I will take off float bowl and drain system, thanks, we didn't have even a trace of that white stuff, snow I think it's called.

Skiller.
03-01-10, 09:38 PM
Mowing the lawn already?? The Winter Olympics were just held around there :D

eldorado99
03-01-10, 09:52 PM
I've already mowed twice this year. The weather has been amazing.

Stingroo
03-01-10, 09:52 PM
They had to truck in like, a record amount of snow for the winter games this year.

creeker
03-01-10, 09:57 PM
Mowing the lawn already?? The Winter Olympics were just held around there :D

That's right, I live about 30 miles (as the crow flies) from cyprus and
whistler mountains, anyone watching the games or the news would be aware that snow had to be trucked in from mountain areas, bundles of hay were layed as a base for the trucked in snow on the runs, this is an unusually warm spring even for us, whistler did not have to have snow trucked in, just cyprus.

Skiller.
03-01-10, 10:04 PM
Did not know that! Maybe it's because I only watched hockey and curling :lol:

creeker
03-01-10, 10:34 PM
Did not know that! Maybe it's because I only watched hockey and curling :lol:

Yes, actually the warm weather has been a blessing in disguise,the games still came off fine,and it's been a real eye opener for a lot of foreign visitors who were blown away with our climate, it's great for people to
learn that there's a lot more to Canada than it being the stereotypical
land of snow and ice,I haven't seen snow on the lower mainland (Vancouver) in years, thanks for the interest.

EcSTSatic
03-02-10, 08:27 AM
My postage stamp lawn is so small I buy the cheapest mowers. The last B&S powered mower lasted me 15 years. I almost bought an electric or battery powered one this time but I'm still skeptical. I would get a manual reel mower again but they don't work as well on fescue as they do on bermuda grass. I expect this B&S gas mower to last another 15. You can't get a better ROI than that.

fierodough
03-02-10, 12:58 PM
Yes, actually the warm weather has been a blessing in disguise,the games still came off fine,and it's been a real eye opener for a lot of foreign visitors who were blown away with our climate, it's great for people to
learn that there's a lot more to Canada than it being the stereotypical
land of snow and ice,I haven't seen snow on the lower mainland (Vancouver) in years, thanks for the interest.

My Igloo's walls as so thin, people can see inside! I get no privacy! :bouncy:

EcSTSatic
03-02-10, 01:36 PM
My Igloo's walls as so thin, people can see inside! I get no privacy! :bouncy:

Whatever do you mean??

http://www.cybersalt.org/images/stories/cleanlaugh/b/bearigloofridge.jpg

Eric Kahn
03-02-10, 05:07 PM
I have been using my cheap sears craftsman mower for 8 years now, hard to start and misses badly untill under load, maybe I should change the oil and give it a tuneup finaly
I also have a black and decker cordless electric that I bought after getting my first house, it had no problem cutting my 26 by 80 lot on one charge

creeker
03-02-10, 05:30 PM
My postage stamp lawn is so small I buy the cheapest mowers. The last B&S powered mower lasted me 15 years. I almost bought an electric or battery powered one this time but I'm still skeptical. I would get a manual reel mower again but they don't work as well on fescue as they do on bermuda grass. I expect this B&S gas mower to last another 15. You can't get a better ROI than that.

Those old briggs and stratton engines were great, thats all you could
get years ago when buying a mower,like from sears,the last sears mower I bought was garbage, lots of fly apart pot metal, and didn't even have a carb., fuel was fed by some phony osmosis design, I went in the back door of a sears about 5 years ago, there were mowers galore there being returned, I think they have gone back to B and S again.

Night Wolf
03-02-10, 09:38 PM
Hard to beat the old skool flathead Briggs..... of course the EPA steps in and says that mowing your lawn is increasing global warming, so now there are stricter emmissions on small engines. Flathead designs don't burn as clean, hence the switch to OHV and OHC. Also that they are going to smaller engines which produce the same HP but lack toruqe. Kinda like the little trick that the new lower end engines use to list their power, rated in ft-lbs tq instead of hp.

creeker
03-02-10, 09:47 PM
Hard to beat the old skool flathead Briggs..... of course the EPA steps in and says that mowing your lawn is increasing global warming, so now there are stricter emmissions on small engines. Flathead designs don't burn as clean, hence the switch to OHV and OHC. Also that they are going to smaller engines which produce the same HP but lack toruqe. Kinda like the little trick that the new lower end engines use to list their power, rated in ft-lbs tq instead of hp.

I had a honda that was 10 years old when I bought it, it was 25 years old when I retired it,mower still ran fine but could not get the self propelled gears to work again, my point is your right on the torque, both motors were the same size, but the old one had a lot more bull moose torque.

DILLIGAF
03-04-10, 05:16 PM
I had an old briggs that would seize up after about 30 minutes of mowing,Let it cool off,pull the cord,go for another 30 minutes.I have no idea how many times I ran that thing out of oil,it was a bunch.The thing that killed it was i ran over it on accident.

70eldo
03-12-10, 04:14 AM
They look F1 inspired, don't they?

http://www.hondapowerproducts.ch/data/img/500x500/hrx-537c-hz.jpg

Submariner409
03-14-10, 09:46 PM
Time to limber up the MTD/Briggs log splitter. We have finished (chain saw) stripping and cutting over 25 holly trees bent/broken by the Jan/Feb snows here. I'll be we have a good half cord of 6" - 8" holly log and a slew of smaller kindling to split.

70eldo
03-17-10, 09:38 AM
Time to limber up the MTD/Briggs log splitter. We have finished (chain saw) stripping and cutting over 25 holly trees bent/broken by the Jan/Feb snows here. I'll be we have a good half cord of 6" - 8" holly log and a slew of smaller kindling to split.

So you are well prepared, as in having enough logs for the fireplace for a next cold winter?

EcSTSatic
03-17-10, 10:56 AM
I have a chipper too. Nothing organic goes into the trash. Everything goes into the gardens or into the compost bin first. Even kitchen waste, peelings, coffee grounds etc get composted.

Submariner409
03-17-10, 03:26 PM
70eldo, yep - Karen and I live on 2 acres of heavily wooded land in the middle of 27 acres of private land - we have controlled cut permission for most of it. I try to keep 2 cords of hardwood split and stacked. Our primary heat is a big Carrier heat pump with the turnover set to 25 degrees - then it shifts to oil furnace (fossil fuel kit, not electric coils) - there's a 550 gallon oil tank in the ground which I refill each summer when the fuel oil prices drop. The woodstove is set up with the heating system return vents so with the woodstove up and running we turn on the inside furnace blower and can keep the whole house at 70 degrees in 10 degree weather, wood only.

Wood is economical - it heats you three times: when you cut it, when you split it and when you burn it !

Look past the OEM muffler shot - that's 2% of the yard ......you think I don't have wood - sustainable.........

orconn
03-17-10, 03:40 PM
The availabilty of wood for burning for heat here on the East Coast truly boggles a native Southern Californian's mind, particularly one who lived most of his life in the city. If I remember correctly the last time I bought a 1/2 cord of wood it was $250.00 (in 1970's money!). Since moving to Virginia I have not had to buy any wood for the fireplace, quite the contrary I have to pay a pretty penny to get someone to haul it away when too many trees have to come down.

Submariner409
03-17-10, 03:42 PM
Over here on the Shore split and stacked mixed hardwood (oak, maple, holly) is currently going for $110 - $140 a cord. A local good ol' boy maintains a wood lot at the north end of our road so we have an endless supply of kindling splinters and chips. That, coupled with an inexhaustible supply of pine cones for starters, makes the woodstove very attractive. Our electric bill in February was $115, we burned 20 gallons of #2 fuel oil, and the rest was $0 (not counting sweat equity) wood.