: Where to buy these mods?

v4meinsandiego
02-28-10, 01:30 PM
I am ready for my stage 2 mods. I am looking for the 9.55 crank pulley upgrade and heat exchanger. Who sells the best package for this that can be mailed out with all parts needed?

I have seen various supporters of the forum talk about their products including D3, Hennessey, Wait4me, and Lingenfelter. I know there are probably others who sell them too but what I would like to know is who has the best package going right now considering durability, amount of cars with the upgrades on the street, and price.

I know a lot of these supporters buy the crank pulley product from the same manufacturer and others make their own like D3. Any thoughts as to this?

I want to make close to 600rwhp so the 9.55 pulley and heat exchanger I am told will get me close, if not to this number. I have the Wait4me handheld tuner ready with these mods preloaded upload so I can upload them into my stock computer once I get them installed.

My car is a manual. My stage 1 upgrades were cat back exhaust, and a modified airbox, and Wait4me handheld tune. And since its been about 2 months (which is a long time to me) I am ready for these stage 2 upgrades. Let's get it on!

CASEY122457
02-28-10, 01:59 PM
No question, Jesse at Wait4Me knows more about this car and mods than anyone. Call him.

Karch
02-28-10, 02:12 PM
600 RWHP? That is a pretty good number indeed.

I imagine to get there properly, you are looking at some port work on the heads, a bit larger cam, headers, tune, and more boost.

If you figure the stock ones are about 450 rwhp, you are moving up 150, so you are getting close to 200 at the crank.

This is not mild, in my opinion, on the stock short block.

Have fun, but choose wisely.

Easy2speed
02-28-10, 02:38 PM
The manual cars make 500whp stock.

vjjack04
02-28-10, 04:21 PM
http://www.mtiracing.com/cts-v-engine-upgrade.html

check out mti.

Gary Wells
02-28-10, 04:51 PM
I think that '09 CTS-V *manual transmission* bone stock cars average overall about 481 RWHP & 485 RWTQ, depending upon what type of dyno, location, weather, including temperature especially, & altitude would be a major factor.
With what you have, headers might be a good choice, (maybe your choice of muffs depending upon what muffs you have currently, and maybe the supercharger snout polish. (not the upper pulley). I don't think that the supercharger snout polish will bring that much more RWHP, but I think that it alleviates the tranny lag, even after the TCM mod. I would leave the heads & cam packages alone until determining whether the new changes that you are going to make, in addition to the changes that you have already, make you happy RWHP & RWTQ wise. D3 in Signal Hill is not far from you, have an excellent rep, and have a long list of satisfied customers.
I intend to have them do mine shortly, something similar to what you have done and what I have recommended. HTH

Gary Wells
02-28-10, 06:07 PM
Oh, BTW, I am also planning on running Julio Don's (AlkyControl) alcohol / methanol injection as sort of a "safety factor" addition / edge to safeguard against that nasty, crappy, Kalif 91 octane. I run one on my turbo Buick and it runs great and beats the heck out of having to run 100 octane unleaded at a cost of about $ 7.50 a gal. 93 octane unleaded out here is available from a few speciality gas stations having 93 at the pump, but it is only somewhat less pricey than 100.

Gary Wells
02-28-10, 06:58 PM
FWIW, those aftermarket mods can be purchased from almost any vendor / supplier of aftermarket parts, but I believe in supporting the speciality shops / tuners / suppliers that support our hobby, and as much as possible, support this site. If I was on the right coast, I would be talking to LPE, Vette Doctors, Jesse Bubb (wait4m3), and PSRmark at PSR in Phoenix, and there's Hennesey and some other custom tuners in, and in the Republik of Kalif there's D3 Cadillac in Signal Hill.
You also might want to consider having a speciality shop such as D3 dial in your handheld even though it already has basic tunes in it, it's not the same as having Jesse Bubb or another tuner dial it in for the best outcome of safety and performance. Sorry for the long post and HTH.

v4meinsandiego
02-28-10, 08:50 PM
With what you have, headers might be a good choice, (maybe your choice of muffs depending upon what muffs you have currently,

I have a custom Magnaflow cat back set up now. I had Ed Hanson's Muffler in Spring Valley put it together for me. No drone but a better bark than stock. He also removed the resonators up front and got rid of the kinks in the system all the way up to the cats. The cost to do all of this was about $600.00 compared with Corsa Cat Back at $1600 plus installation.

As for Headers, I want to avoid that for 2 reasons (1 the stock manifolds flow fairly good now and 2 they are illegal in CA and this will present problems if and when I sell).

Karch
02-28-10, 09:02 PM
I have a custom Magnaflow cat back set up now. I had Ed Hanson's Muffler in Spring Valley put it together for me. No drone but a better bark than stock. He also removed the resonators up front and got rid of the kinks in the system all the way up to the cats. The cost to do all of this was about $600.00 compared with Corsa Cat Back at $1600 plus installation.

As for Headers, I want to avoid that for 2 reasons (1 the stock manifolds flow fairly good now and 2 they are illegal in CA and this will present problems if and when I sell).

Did you have the tune recalibrated after the exhaust mods?

cbloveday
02-28-10, 09:16 PM
I have had several in depth discussions with Jeff @ Lingenfelter on the phone, did their LSA supercharger upgrade package via mail order. I had several in depth discussions with Jesse of wait4meperformance before spending 1.5 days with Jesse in person and had the mods done in my siggy. I can attest that both outfits are top notch. Either will get you the horsepower you crave safetly. I have heard alot of good things about Vette Doctors, Hennessey, and D3.

Because I have had first hand favorable experience with LPE, & W4me, they are the only 2 outfits I am comfortable recommending. .

I am not sure how many cars they have on the road, you will have to ask them that.

regards,

C

v4meinsandiego
02-28-10, 09:24 PM
Did you have the tune recalibrated after the exhaust mods?

Yes, the handheld tuner I bought from Wait4me has my current upgrades on it, plus another stage 2 tune for when I get the 9.5 pulley and heat exchanger installed. The car runs very good now with the few mods I have but I am ready to step it up a couple notches and get this car into the mid 11's.

GMX322V S/C
02-28-10, 09:46 PM
...He also removed the resonators up front
As for Headers, I want to avoid that for 2 reasons (1 the stock manifolds flow fairly good now and 2 they are illegal in CA and this will present problems if and when I sell).I agree that the stock manifolds flow pretty well (for stock manifolds, as Wait4Me has shown with dyno results), but just to let you know, those weren't just resonators...our cars actually have four cats: two close-coupled (literally bolted right to the exhaust manifolds), and two primary that look like typical high-flow cats or resonators. I've actually seen the inside of the latter and they indeed have a monolith inside...

Gary Wells
02-28-10, 10:26 PM
With your goals it is starting to sound like you are a prime candidate for heads and cam. Especially without headers, although I agree with your reasons for not going to headers.
If the Republik of Kalif gets any stricter with the EPA & CARB requirements, we are going to need to wear approved mufflers to break wind.

v4meinsandiego
03-01-10, 12:45 AM
I agree that the stock manifolds flow pretty well (for stock manifolds, as Wait4Me has shown with dyno results), but just to let you know, those weren't just resonators...our cars actually have four cats: two close-coupled (literally bolted right to the exhaust manifolds), and two primary that look like typical high-flow cats or resonators. I've actually seen the inside of the latter and they indeed have a monolith inside...

Not sure how much they do considering the 02 sensors were closer to the motor but good to know. They were certainly high flowing though because I didn't notice a sound difference removing those by themselves.

With your goals it is starting to sound like you are a prime candidate for heads and cam. Especially without headers, although I agree with your reasons for not going to headers.
If the Republik of Kalif gets any stricter with the EPA & CARB requirements, we are going to need to wear approved mufflers to break wind.

Classic comment and very true!

Karch
03-01-10, 12:55 AM

I think my wife might vote for that latter statement :)

GMX322V S/C
03-01-10, 02:30 AM
...They were certainly high flowing though because I didn't notice a sound difference removing those by themselvesIn my case, with Corsa Touring mufflers, they made quite a difference in sound--but they only cost me 1.2 HP on the dyno :thumbsup:

v4meinsandiego
03-01-10, 11:25 AM
In my case, with Corsa Touring mufflers, they made quite a difference in sound--but they only cost me 1.2 HP on the dyno :thumbsup:

So you actually lost power by removing the secondary cats, or what I called resonators? Sounds like you gained some better sound but lost power - am I reading this correctly?

cbloveday
03-01-10, 06:05 PM
I think by leaving them on he lost 1.2 hp. Correct me if I am wrong

GMX322V S/C
03-01-10, 07:59 PM
Yes, they were inadvertently left off. When they put them back on, she fattened up a little; after they re-optimized the tune, the net loss was only 1.2 HP.