: What do you use for oil?

Somefun
02-28-10, 10:00 AM
Guy's I'm picking up my new V tomorrow. There is 4500 miles on her. I run Amsoil in all my toy and plan on adding it to my V. What does the motor come with for oil? If it's not Synthetic when did you change over if you did?

Ross L
02-28-10, 10:11 AM
factory filled with Mobil1, thats what I run. BTW, you'll love the car!:)

Somefun
02-28-10, 10:25 AM
Thanks Ross!

Titaniumseeker
02-28-10, 12:24 PM
Mobil 1 factory filled but changed all fluids over to Amsiol at 1100 miles.

SlvrBullIT
02-28-10, 12:33 PM
Came with Mobil 1 changed to AMSoil as well, and the MPG improved. Also use Magfilter for Oil Tranny and Diff.

GM-4-LIFE
02-28-10, 01:26 PM
Congrats on your new V!

I also changed over to Amsoil. Mobil 1 is a very good synthetic. It's just that Amsoil is way better!

You can purchase Amsoil at wholesale pricing and save some cash.

The links are provided in my signature.

If you have any questions on Amsoil or how to get it, let me know.

Thanks!

SG

Z71
02-28-10, 01:46 PM
Not a V but I also have AMSOIL in my 2009 CTS4 3.6L. I also ran it in my 2005 CTS 3.6L. I use the 0W-30 in everything for the last 12 yrs. I also have my 2008 GMC SLT Z71 E. Cab running the SSO 0W-30 as well all synthetic lubes since about 1,000 miles, engine, trans, PS, TC and both axles are Amsoil.

I won't ever use anything else. I live about 200 miles from their hdqtr's in Superior, WI and been to there many times.

First started using it back in 1975....

Vrocks
02-28-10, 10:33 PM
I tried amsoil and now I'm back to mobil 1 - I didn't see any benefits with the amsoil (although it is great oil).

SlvrBullIT
02-28-10, 11:58 PM
No benefits??? I got 10% better gas mileage on mine

Caddyscat
03-01-10, 12:35 AM
10 percent of 18 is 1.8 mpg better than claimed. so that brings it up to 19.8 mpg on the car. I think your wallet suffers less without the increased cost of the amsoil versus mobil 1 so it all probably breaks even.
Been using Mobil 1 synthetic for years now.

SlvrBullIT
03-01-10, 01:00 AM
but I drive 200 miles a day and went 10K on the oil, do the math... I'm ahead on amsoil, thank you very much

SlvrBullIT
03-01-10, 01:00 AM
I will never do 10k on mobil1

SlvrBullIT
03-01-10, 01:01 AM
Also I got 20.4 mpg so slightly better than 10%

Gary Wells
03-01-10, 06:52 AM
I have run Mobil1 since about '86 or so in all of my vehicles. I did run Redline for a while, but when Jim Jones at Traco Engineering closed and I had to chase it, I went back to Mobil1. I have been considering changing over to Amsoil ever since owning the CTS-V though. Still not sure. I have always changed oil & filter every 3K miles though, regardless of the oil that I use and it's cost. That may not happen with Amsoil at it's cost.

cbloveday
03-01-10, 09:30 AM
Mobil1 here. I got the service contract from dealer so oil changes are free.

Vrocks
03-01-10, 10:33 AM
No benefits??? I got 10% better gas mileage on mine
I didn't see a mpg improvement. I averaged around 13.8-14.2 on Amsoil and I'm back on Mobil 1 and it's the same. I also switched back to the GM filter.

Z71
03-01-10, 10:57 AM
Which Mobil 1? Not all synthetics are the same.

Only the Mobil 1 Extended Performance is on par with the AMSOIL in that they are 100% synthetic PAO Gr. IV oils. Group IV is the best base stock available. It costs more, but it is the best.

Group III - Petroleum based mineral oil and refined through the use of Hydro cracking.
Most all oil company synthetics like Pennzoil, Q-A, Catrol Syntec etc

Group IV - Synthetic based and created through the use of chemical polymerization.
AMSOIL, Mobil 1 Extended Performance

Synthetics –PAOs or Poly-Alpha-Olefins are synthetic lubricant bases produced by a chemical
polymerization process. These bases exhibit exceptional properties even under demanding conditions.
There is little variation in viscosity as a function of temperature, very good fluidity at low temperature,
reliability under mechanical stress, and excellent chemical and thermal stability.

Z06ified
03-01-10, 11:03 AM
I'm sure Amsoil is a great product, but so is Mobil 1. I'm just wondering what Amsoil users are hoping to accomplish by using it? Mobil 1 isn't going to break down and cause engine wear in even the most extreme track conditions (I'm talking dangerously high oil temps of 350F). If you change the oil per the oil life monitor, or more frequently, the engine should last over 200k miles before requiring rebuild due to wear, using Mobil 1. How many people actually plan to put 200k miles on their V's? Will you get more miles before overhaul using Amsoil versus Mobil 1? Possibly, but I doubt it. And if you're not keeping your V that long, what does it matter? :confused:

Z71
03-01-10, 11:07 AM
For some of the same reason I buy a Cadillac. I could buy a Malibu but I prefer a Cadillac. I could buy Mobil 1 buy I prefer AMSOIL.

I want what I think is a better car and with AMSOIL I want to best oil. I don't want some product that is just made good enough to compete with other oils, I want the one that is the best. Also, AMSOIL is a USA owned company and not beholding to stock holders.

Z06ified
03-01-10, 11:29 AM
Also, AMSOIL is a USA owned company and not beholding to stock holders.

I'm not sure how that is relevant. ExxonMobil is also a USA owned company. The fact its shares are publicly traded doesn't make it a better or worse company. Lest you think public shareholders are evil. Make no mistake, the owners of AMSOIL want the same thing that public shareholders of ExxonMobil want: profits.

Ross L
03-01-10, 11:42 AM
Use what you like. I like Mobil1 oil and filter. :-)

JFJr
03-01-10, 11:52 AM
Exactly what are the proven benefits of Amsoil over fully-synthetic Mobil1? For those of you who switched to Amsoil from Mobil1, and claim increased gas mileage, do you use the same viscosity as the Mobil1 you migrated from? If not, could that account for the difference? For those of you claiming increased oil change intervals with Amsoil, does Amsoil get less dirty over time than Mobil1 from the by-products of combustion?

GMX322V S/C
03-01-10, 08:19 PM
I'm not interested in extending the service interval (and Mobil 1 Extended Performance doesn't seem to be available in our stock viscosity range anyway), but Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy is available in 0W-30. What do you guys think of this oil?

Gary Wells
03-01-10, 10:01 PM
What is the recommended viscosity for the '09 CTS-V?
For warm weather Kalif, that is?

SlvrBullIT
03-01-10, 10:36 PM
Not saying AMSoil is > Mobil 1 or vice versa, I used mobil 1 for many years in all my different vehicles, I just noticed I got better mpg in the V over the mobil 1 at the same service interval etc. Sure it's slightly more expensive, I guess it's 6 or half a dozen, flip a coin etc, but it seems "my" V perfers the amsoil, runs great, better mpg etc etc ad nausem. Mobil 1 or AMSoil, it's a customer choice unless someone has the time to do a chemical analysis over duration with a financial breakdown then we'll :horse: all day and night long over which is "better" or "worse".

GMX322V S/C
03-01-10, 10:38 PM
I believe it's 0W-30 across the board Gary.

nsaness
03-01-10, 10:47 PM
I run Mobil1 in my daily driver V2, and I run Royal Purple in my 800+ horsepower "toy car". Most racers I know use the Royal Purple. I do not know anything about Amsoil, but I have definitely heard that there are many fans of it.

Z06ified
03-02-10, 12:00 PM
I believe it's 0W-30 across the board Gary.

I thought it was 5W-30 :confused:

GMX322V S/C
03-02-10, 12:56 PM
^^^
You're right! Mea culpa. 5W-30 it is.

PGA2B
03-02-10, 04:21 PM
Royal Purple

asabase
03-02-10, 07:27 PM
Just bought a couple jugs of Vavoline Synpower for $20 each at walmart. There is a $20 rebate when buying 3 jugs also so about $40ish for 15 quarts.

RapidRob
03-02-10, 07:34 PM
AMSOIL Signature 0 - 30.

Rob

C66 Racing
03-02-10, 10:22 PM
... Mobil 1 isn't going to break down and cause engine wear in even the most extreme track conditions (I'm talking dangerously high oil temps of 350F). ...

I disagree and I lost an LS6 engine in my Corvette running Mobil 1 15w50 in my first race season (03) due to seizing the bearings in #3,4 pistons. Did my own research and switched to AMSOIL after that season.

While the oil might not "break down" as you say, that is a gross over simplification of what is happening in the oil. As temp goes up, viscosity does now. A 30 grade oil has a viscosity of about 10-11 cSt at 212F. That same oil has a viscosity of about 3 cSt at 300F, a drop of about 70%. So while it might not break down, I would not feel comfortable running an oil with a viscosity of about 30% of nominal.

The other issue is that the oil will shear down, but this is really related to shear forces and to a lesser extent, temperature. To see how the various fluids perform under shear, these are a good studies (AMSOIL commissioned and for gear lubes and motorcycle oils, but still educational as they highlight the vast differences in fluids). In these studies note the viscosity shear down tests :
AMSOIL Motorcycle Oil “White Paper” (http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf) (1 MB pdf file)
AMSOIL Gear Lube “White Paper” (http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf) (2 MB pdf file)

Note that the viscosity loss as temp goes up issue is independent of brand to some extent. But... and addressing a comment posted above about Mobil 0w30. I feel that an oil's High Temp High Shear rating is representative of how the oil is going to perform in the engines high stress areas such as the bearings. By using better basestock and additives, one oil can differentiate from another in this rating as the above studies demonstrate (even if you disregard AMSOIL in these studies). From data pulled straight from AMSOIL's and Mobil 1's corporate websites:

HTHS ratings:
AMSOIL Dominator Racing 10w30 - 3.6
AMSOIL Signature Series 0w30 - 3.2 (4718M)
AMSOIL SAE 10w30 - 3.2 (4718M)
AMSOIL SAE 5w30 - 3.2 (4718M)
Mobil 1 10w30 - 3.14 (4718M)
Mobil 1 EP 10w30 - 3.1
Mobil 1 EP 5w30 - 3.1
Mobil 1 5w30 - 3.09 (4718M)
Mobil 1 0w30 - 2.99 (4718M)

Note that I've listed the ones that meet GM Standard 4718M for the V. FYI, I now use the Dominator 10w30 (with oil cooler), but this oil isn't for street use as it doesn't have detergents and dispersants and thus - I change it often.
:cheers:

jzchen
03-05-10, 03:50 AM
Which Mobil 1? Not all synthetics are the same.

Only the Mobil 1 Extended Performance is on par with the AMSOIL in that they are 100% synthetic PAO Gr. IV oils. Group IV is the best base stock available. It costs more, but it is the best.

Group III - Petroleum based mineral oil and refined through the use of Hydro cracking.
Most all oil company synthetics like Pennzoil, Q-A, Catrol Syntec etc

Group IV - Synthetic based and created through the use of chemical polymerization.
AMSOIL, Mobil 1 Extended Performance

Synthetics –PAOs or Poly-Alpha-Olefins are synthetic lubricant bases produced by a chemical
polymerization process. These bases exhibit exceptional properties even under demanding conditions.
There is little variation in viscosity as a function of temperature, very good fluidity at low temperature,
reliability under mechanical stress, and excellent chemical and thermal stability.

For some reason Mobil 1 Extended Performance doesn't meet GM4718M specs. I remember reading the reason why somewhere, but forgot what it was.

I'm interested in possibly trying Castrol Edge, (we should be getting our V within a few more weeks). It claims better performance over Valvoline Synpower, Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, as well as Royal Purple. I'm very interested to see how it compares to AMSOIL though.

Another curiosity of mine is BMW Synthetic 5W-30, although it doesn't specify GM4718M specs. It is very hard to find a 5W-30 motor oil that meets the BMW LL-01 standard.

Somefun
03-05-10, 06:25 AM
Well I have a new case of 0-W30 Amsoil and a new Wix filter on the way cuz I have a date with my new baby so we can get to know each other better this weekend!!!!!!:kiss:

cbloveday
03-05-10, 08:27 AM
Be mindful of the obsidian when your romping around on your date!

Umrswimr
03-05-10, 09:12 AM
How the hell are you guys getting 18-20 MPG?

I'm lucky if I get 13! :)

Vrocks
03-05-10, 10:01 AM
Amsoil is better than regular Mobil 1 based on tests. I used Amsoil in the past but since I don't track my V I switched back to Mobil 1 ($$).

Mobil 1 is more than adequate for a V that won't see the track.

Mobil 1 offers racing blends if you want more engine protection, as does Amsoil.

4DR_ZR1
03-05-10, 10:14 AM
How the hell are you guys getting 18-20 MPG?

I'm lucky if I get 13! :)
Check the setting of your right talocrural joint, located above the throttle pedal. If it has 'excessive play', the result will be frequent input commands being sent to your vehicle's fuel supply system, resulting in what you are presently experiencing... miles traveled vs. gallons used are reduced dramatically.

JFJr
03-05-10, 11:55 AM
How the hell are you guys getting 18-20 MPG?No one gets that kind of mileage in city traffic, but you should expect 19-21 steady highway speed (70-75 mph) mpg after the engine has broken in. What are you seeing under those circumstances using cruise control?

SlvrBullIT
03-05-10, 12:17 PM
I drive ~200miles a day for work, 80% I35 etc 20% street and I get avg 19mpg, if its a long drive, like San Antonio to Dallas for cars and coffee I can make it on 1 tank of gas down to 1/4 tank and >20mpg 75-80mph. I now have 17K miles on the car.

C66 Racing
03-07-10, 10:07 AM
For some reason Mobil 1 Extended Performance doesn't meet GM4718M specs. I remember reading the reason why somewhere, but forgot what it was.

From Mobil 1's website, here is their official answer:
"Question:
Explain Why Mobil 1 Extended Performance Not GM4718M Certified
Can you please explain the difference between GM6049M and GM4718M? I have read several answers on this site that state that using the extended performance Mobil 1 will work just as well as regular Mobil 1. I just want to understand what is different between the two specs, and what about the extended performance does not allow it to be GM4718M certified. Thanks, Clint
-- Clint Kline, Anderson, IN

Answer:
GM 6094M is based on the same specifications as ILSAC GF-4 but additionally includes some specific GM requirements. GM 4718M is the GM high performance oil specification that goes well beyond the industry standard ILSAC GF-4 and API SM specifications. The Mobil 1 grades that carry GM 4718M have been fully approved and tested against GM 4718M. The companion Mobil 1 Extended Performance viscosity grades have not been formally approved against GM 4718M but will provide the performance at GM 4718M level. Engine testing required to get formal approval is limited to certain Mobil 1 products only."

I suspect however, that the real answer lies in interaction between GM and Mobil 1. My opinion is based partially on their statement that the oil will provide the performance needed for GM 4718M. When the Extended Performance came out I remember reading articles that indicated this new oil was a surprise to GM. I suspect that GM didn't want to confuse their owner's with whether they could or could not use an oil like the Extended Performance to go longer than recommended by the Oil Life Monitor and asked Mobil 1 not to list this oil as GM 4718M approved. My opinion only...

Club Malibu
03-07-10, 03:06 PM
It's been many years since I really looked into this but the real deal test of what oil protects better against another oil is the 4 ball wear test. (ASTM D-4172) The whole official test is on my old computer somewhere but is shows the apparatus and test method to do it. It consists of 4 certain material metal balls attached to steel wire that is spun at a certain rpm and the 4 balls "fan" outward. Then the 4 balls, while spinning make contact with a certain type of steel plate with a certain amount of oil film applied to the steel. The 4 balls will gouge the steel plate and cause grooves to be made. The depth of the gouges are measured. The least amount of depth, the better the oil protects.

Years and years ago, when synthetics were are the rage, Mobil 1 was always the worst out of all the synthetics. Yes, Mobil 1 has changed their formula many times and so has all other manufacturers. Remember the "Tri-Syn" formula???? Even though Mobil 1 was/is the worst, it's still way better than dinosaur oil.

Anyways, below is a link from Amsoil from a test in 2003. Note: The picture on the link is from 2003. I'm sure the formulas have changed since then.

http://www.american-synthetic-motor-oil.com/amsoil_10w30_api_four_ball_wear_test.htm

Yes, I have heard AMSOIL is the best; period. And it's a PITA to find/buy. I buy RED LINE OIL from JEGS. Jegs is 2 day shipping. 5 quarts costs me $50 delivered.

Now I have not heard how much worse is RED LINE OIL compared to AMSOIL. I would love to know that. Anyone??????

Gary Wells
03-07-10, 10:29 PM
Years back I owned a Guldstrand Grand Sport '80 which was powered by a motor built by Jim Jones at Trace Engineering. As Jim Jones advised that Redline oil seemed to make a few more ponies, about 4 to 6 as I remember, he advised that I run the motor on Redline. It was convenient for me as I would get a great price on it from Jim at Traco. I ran it for years and I always liked it more than mobil1, and i had more faith in the Redline than Mobil1, but not for any reason that i could really justify. I would still be running it, but it is hard to find now and somewhat pricey. This was in maybe the '88 to '91 timeframe. I think that I am going to try Amsoil for a while. Although I have never had any problems with Mobil1, but I change it and the filter every 3K miles, and it seems pretty dirty to me, especially in the turbo Buick. HTH

SlvrBullIT
03-07-10, 11:49 PM
FWIW, I put 12K+ on the AMSoil and only changed it out because I suffered a tiny bit on my mpg, I track my cars fill ups with Gas Cubby(iPhone) and it gives me a nice graph of the mpg and a whole bunch of other stuff. When I changed my first fill up of AMSoil I observed the oil as it was coming out, and while color is no indicator of "is the oil good or bad", the oil was far from opaque black but still had a nice dark brown hue. After 3K on Mobil 1 (that came in the car from factory) it was fairly black, not necessarily a "scientific" method but according to my gas cubby app, the AMSoil is giving me better mpg at the least, even after 6+ track days on it and 12K+ miles. I guess the the best way to gauge which oil to go with is which oil you have confidence in, especially if the science and conjecture muddy the proverbial waters. "I" have confidence in AMSoil over Mobil 1 based on "my" experience, but "I" still believe Mobil 1 is a good product, if I couldn't get AMSoil I would hands down choose Mobil 1 as my next choice. I don't believe AMSoil is "good" and Mobil 1 is "bad", my belief is Mobil 1 is "better than average" and AMSoil is better. Mobil 1 users are not zombies as far as I am concerned, now users of substandard oil like dino autozone specials in their V, they are zombies, and we all know what we should do to zombies.....

concorso
03-08-10, 12:28 AM
Ask them to dance real slowly?

SlvrBullIT
03-08-10, 03:36 AM
Ask them to dance real slowly?

Zombie rules (http://www.zombielandrules.com/all-zombieland-rules/)

Remember... always double tap!!! :gun: or this happens :killer:

jzchen
03-09-10, 08:42 PM
From Mobil 1's website, here is their official answer:
"Question:
Explain Why Mobil 1 Extended Performance Not GM4718M Certified
Can you please explain the difference between GM6049M and GM4718M? I have read several answers on this site that state that using the extended performance Mobil 1 will work just as well as regular Mobil 1. I just want to understand what is different between the two specs, and what about the extended performance does not allow it to be GM4718M certified. Thanks, Clint
-- Clint Kline, Anderson, IN

Answer:
GM 6094M is based on the same specifications as ILSAC GF-4 but additionally includes some specific GM requirements. GM 4718M is the GM high performance oil specification that goes well beyond the industry standard ILSAC GF-4 and API SM specifications. The Mobil 1 grades that carry GM 4718M have been fully approved and tested against GM 4718M. The companion Mobil 1 Extended Performance viscosity grades have not been formally approved against GM 4718M but will provide the performance at GM 4718M level. Engine testing required to get formal approval is limited to certain Mobil 1 products only."

I suspect however, that the real answer lies in interaction between GM and Mobil 1. My opinion is based partially on their statement that the oil will provide the performance needed for GM 4718M. When the Extended Performance came out I remember reading articles that indicated this new oil was a surprise to GM. I suspect that GM didn't want to confuse their owner's with whether they could or could not use an oil like the Extended Performance to go longer than recommended by the Oil Life Monitor and asked Mobil 1 not to list this oil as GM 4718M approved. My opinion only...

Thank you for finding this info! It is nice to see the comparison of AMSOIL vs. others from their website. I really like the IVA Sequence 4 test that Castrol uses to compare with others. It is actually run in an engine. I was trying to research the temperature of the 4 ball test and couldn't find out too much on it... I'm not sure I feel like High Temperature data would be very accurate unless your car was about to overheat...

C66 Racing
03-15-10, 03:48 PM
Thank you for finding this info! It is nice to see the comparison of AMSOIL vs. others from their website. I really like the IVA Sequence 4 test that Castrol uses to compare with others. It is actually run in an engine. I was trying to research the temperature of the 4 ball test and couldn't find out too much on it... I'm not sure I feel like High Temperature data would be very accurate unless your car was about to overheat...

Sorry for the slow response - been doing a lot of travel lately.

The 4-ball wear test is normally performed at 150C (300F). While this may be a little high for most daily drivers, it isn't unreasonable for hard driven or track day cars. On the track in my Vette (stock LS6 engine), even with an aftermarket oil cooler, my oil runs over 250F. In my CTS-V, I could get my oil easily to 250F with a spirted run in the country. The local temp at the bearings, could run much higher. Though some feel that the 4-ball wear test isn't for automotive oils (normally a gear lube test), AMSOIL's feels that it is applicable in highly shear stressed areas of an engine like the bearings. Though not scientific, after looking at hundreds of used oil analysis reports on the oil forums, it appears to me that there is some correlation to an oil's performance on the 4-ball test and it's wear numbers in actual use. :cheers:

jzchen
03-19-10, 12:13 AM
Sorry for the slow response - been doing a lot of travel lately.

The 4-ball wear test is normally performed at 150C (300F). While this may be a little high for most daily drivers, it isn't unreasonable for hard driven or track day cars. On the track in my Vette (stock LS6 engine), even with an aftermarket oil cooler, my oil runs over 250F. In my CTS-V, I could get my oil easily to 250F with a spirted run in the country. The local temp at the bearings, could run much higher. Though some feel that the 4-ball wear test isn't for automotive oils (normally a gear lube test), AMSOIL's feels that it is applicable in highly shear stressed areas of an engine like the bearings. Though not scientific, after looking at hundreds of used oil analysis reports on the oil forums, it appears to me that there is some correlation to an oil's performance on the 4-ball test and it's wear numbers in actual use. :cheers:

You've actually responeded quicker than my request for information from AMSOIL. I was checking the 5W-30 (ASL) product and the four ball test was done at 75C. I am no expert on thermodynamics in an engine but I do watch the thermostat in the car, (I'm assuming it is the coolant temp. that is shown in most, and it seems that at least in our Mercedes, over 120C is an overheating condition. I'm not sure how that translates to oil temperatures but... Anyways, in our BMW 150C is at the upper maximum of normal operating temperature, (as stated in the manual.) I guess every car is different.

Oil analysis seems to be the best at determining what is good and not, and I must confess I haven't spent any money on doing that for any of our cars. We rarely drive our cars hard so I'm still searching for the best. Curious if you've seen any data outside that from Castrol about testing done on their Edge product? It is also interesting they don't make any claims about being better than AMSOIL and Redline.

Z06ified
03-19-10, 10:18 AM
I am no expert on thermodynamics in an engine but I do watch the thermostat in the car, (I'm assuming it is the coolant temp. that is shown in most, and it seems that at least in our Mercedes, over 120C is an overheating condition. I'm not sure how that translates to oil temperatures but...

There's almost no translation between coolant temp and oil temp. Example: when tracking my '02 Z06 at Willow Springs big track in hot conditions (ambient temp 105F), after 30 minutes of pushing the car hard, oil temps reached 310F, but coolant temps remained in check at 205F.

I wish the V had an oil temp gauge. I'm a bit concerned about how the oil temps will hold up on the track, considering the V produces another 105 hp more than my Z06 does, its supercharged, and holds 2 quarts LESS oil than my Z06. I know it has an integrated oil cooler and my Z06 does not, but that oil cooler doesn't look very big. Does anyone know if that integrated oil cooler uses air or coolant for cooling? Considering its small size, I'm assuming coolant?

SlvrBullIT
03-19-10, 10:29 AM
The oil cooler is a slat block cooler that is right next to the oil filter. it's small and air cooled.

Z06ified
03-19-10, 11:05 AM
The oil cooler is a slat block cooler that is right next to the oil filter. it's small and air cooled.

Yeah, I saw it there when I changed the oil last weekend. Thought it was kind of a joke if its air cooled. It's small, and I don't think there would be much air flow to it. I guess it helps though.

C66 Racing
03-20-10, 11:37 AM
You've actually responeded quicker than my request for information from AMSOIL. I was checking the 5W-30 (ASL) product and the four ball test was done at 75C.

Good point and didn't mean to be misleading. There are several versions of the 4-ball wear test. The three main variables are load, rpm and temp. As you correctly noted, AMSOIL uses a 40 kgf, 1200 rpm 75C (167F) version for their main automotive oils. I normally look at AMSOIL higher end oils and in my above post I looked at the 4-ball test for their top line Signature Series 0w30 that I used in my CTS-V. For this oil they use 40 kgf, 1800 rpm, 150C (300F) - much higher rpm and temp. For their racing 10w30 I use in my Vette they up the pressure to 60 kgf, still using 1800 rpm and 150C.

Reminder to anyone considering AMSOIL - please drop me a PM so I can ensure you get dealer wholesale pricing via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Preferredcustomer.htm). :cheers:

Mika
03-21-10, 01:18 AM
To those saying that Amsoil is expensive/pricey, how much are you paying for a quart? Last I ordered(maybe 2 years ago) it was roughly $7/qt for oil. Now if you have 8 or 9 quarts to change per oil change, yeah its a bit more pricey. But you can go longer with the Amsoil. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Mika

C66 Racing
03-21-10, 09:56 AM
To those saying that Amsoil is expensive/pricey, how much are you paying for a quart? Last I ordered(maybe 2 years ago) it was roughly $7/qt for oil. Now if you have 8 or 9 quarts to change per oil change, yeah its a bit more pricey. But you can go longer with the Amsoil. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Mika

Mika,
AMSOIL's policies prevent me from posting pricing online, but I will say that prices have remained nearly constant. The Preferred Customer Program pricing for their main SAE Synthetic 5w30 is a little less than you posted, the Signature Series 0w30 I used a little more. FYI for anyone interested, I can share wholesale pricing in a PM.

RapidRob
03-21-10, 07:15 PM

Mika

You can go longer - but how do you reset the the DIC when it starts nannying about changing the oil soon? Which brings another question to mind - how is the oil change interval determined/evaluated? Is it a time/mileage measure, or are the amount of particulates in the oil somehow measured?

Rob

Mika
03-21-10, 11:26 PM
You can go longer - but how do you reset the the DIC when it starts nannying about changing the oil soon? Which brings another question to mind - how is the oil change interval determined/evaluated? Is it a time/mileage measure, or are the amount of particulates in the oil somehow measured?

Rob

From what I understand the oil change interval is determined by driving habits and driving conditions(ie. city/highway). I personally go around 5k between changing oil, regardless of Mobil 1 or Amsoil. It's one of those preference things, I suppose. I've never had problems with Amsoil, so I stick with what I've had good luck with.

I drive a poor man's car(Pontiac), but I'm too anal to let an oil change go more than 5k, even though I know I can go 10k on it. I also live about 15 minutes from an Amsoil distribution center(Arlington, Tx), so that helps too;). I can order online and swing by and pick up the oil if I have to.

Mika

SlvrBullIT
03-22-10, 12:29 AM
but how do you reset the the DIC when it starts nannying about changing the oil soon?

Rob

Go to the DIC setting that shows the percentage left Oil Life Monitor, and hold down the "check" button, believe it's the lower right, till it resets to 100%.

RapidRob
03-22-10, 07:22 PM
Go to the DIC setting that shows the percentage left Oil Life Monitor, and hold down the "check" button, believe it's the lower right, till it resets to 100%.

Thanks Bullit!

Rob

C66 Racing
03-23-10, 09:32 PM

I just had to do similar to my 03 Chevy Trailblazer which currently has the AMSOIL Sig Series 0w30 in it (rated for 17.5K miles in severe service). When it counted down to zero, just reset it. Its already back down to 55%. Something like 10k miles on it or so. Will probably change it this weekend if the weather is nice.

FYI, the OLM uses an algorithm to count down mileage remaining on the oil. I've read that the starting point varies based on the GM model and the type of required oil. I think my wife's Trailblazer OLM counts down from 10k miles. I believe that in general it counts down based on fuel injector pulses which is a pretty accurate measure of how much work the oil is doing. So, running slow or in low gear will result in much lower mileage before the OLM counts down than running in high gear on the freeway. I also believe that it penalizes the countdown on events like startup. FYI, my wife's Trailblazer generally counted down to 0% at about 7k miles, and my 06 CTS-V counted down to 25% in about 3k (with almost exclusively very short drives).

JFJr
03-27-11, 02:54 PM
I was down one quart today after 5,500 miles (50% oil life remaining) and added Mobil1 10w-30 to the Mobil1 5w-30 already in the reservoir because it was what I had handy. The owner's manual is pretty anal about viscosity, but I figure this could do no harm. What do you guys think?

Jud

jzchen
03-27-11, 11:53 PM
I was down one quart today after 5,500 miles (50% oil life remaining) and added Mobil1 10w-30 to the Mobil1 5w-30 already in the reservoir because it was what I had handy. The owner's manual is pretty anal about viscosity, but I figure this could do no harm. What do you guys think?

Jud

I'm anal so I'd probably have the oil changed as soon as possible. (Not going to risk it even though you're only making the oil slightly thicker by adding one quart. This is the most expensive car in our household, and we usually keep them for the longhaul, ie. more than 10 yrs...)

GAGS-V2
03-28-11, 02:17 AM
I'm anal so I'd probably have the oil changed as soon as possible. (Not going to risk it even though you're only making the oil slightly thicker by adding one quart. This is the most expensive car in our household, and we usually keep them for the longhaul, ie. more than 10 yrs...)

Hmm, so when did Cadillac go to full service? 2011 Coupe here that is covered by that program. I just spent twenty minutes reading about four balls, two balls, DIC's, etc. personally, when the monitor says change the oil, I will make an appointment and let Cadillac service put what they recommend in it (I will probably watch them though to make sure it's at least Mobil 1).

jzchen
03-28-11, 02:30 AM
Hmm, so when did Cadillac go to full service? 2011 Coupe here that is covered by that program. I just spent twenty minutes reading about four balls, two balls, DIC's, etc. personally, when the monitor says change the oil, I will make an appointment and let Cadillac service put what they recommend in it (I will probably watch them though to make sure it's at least Mobil 1).

It started with the 2011 model year. (That's okay because I'd probably get just 4 oil changes out of it anyways.) Jud said he'd put 10W-30 in which I would never do. I don't think it would change for '11 so for what it's worth it's 1 yr or when the monitor says so, so don't forget that if a year comes around and the monitor doesn't say it's time yet.

Z71
03-28-11, 03:52 PM
Mobil 1 is no longer the GM Preferred Oil. They are going to use cheap AC Delco synthetic blend that is Dexos1 approved. When I was in my Cadi dealer last week having the AFM lifters (week and failing) in my GMC replaced under warranty at 9,000 miles I seen several pallet loads of AC Delco Dexos1 synthetic blend on the shop floor.

PI0215: Oil Filler Cap Identification and Changes - (Aug 23, 2010)

Subject: Oil Filler Cap Identification and Changes

Models: 2011 Cadillac CTS-V, DTS, Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT, STS

2011 Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette

Equipped with Engine VINs E, F, J, P, S, T, W, 4, 6 (RPOs L37, LSA, LAU, LD8, L37, L99, LS3, LS7, LS9)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following information may be helpful in identifying and avoiding unnecessary parts replacement at the time of Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI).

Condition/Concern
Technicians may notice during PDI that the oil filler cap on the 2011 vehicles no longer has the "Mobil 1®" logo printed on the cap.

Previous Design Oil Filler Cap

2519689.jpg

Revised 2011 Oil Filler Cap

2519692.jpg

Recommendations/Instructions
Important: DO NOT replace oil filler caps because they no longer display the Mobil 1® logo.

Starting with 2011 vehicle production, GM no longer specifies Mobil 1® as the required oil for the above vehicles. A new oil specification called Dexos I has been created, which a variety of synthetic and synthetic blend motor oils meet.

Note: For additional information on available Dexos 1 oils, please refer to PI0175.

• 2011 vehicles equipped with DOHC V6 engines (RPO LF1 and LLT) are no longer built with Mobil I logo caps. These vehicles should be serviced in accordance with the Dexos I standard.

• SRX models with the DOHC V6 (RPO LAU) engine used the "Mobil 1®" cap from the 2011 start of production to August 1, 2010.

• All Chevrolet Corvette and Camaro models along with the Cadillac DTS, CTS-V and Escalade models will continue to be built with the "Mobil 1®" style cap until November 2010.

shade
03-28-11, 04:08 PM
Maybe mobil 1 ddint pay enough royalties