: serpentine belt feels like its dragging when accelerating

Talamant3z
02-27-10, 04:16 PM
so i thought since it was such a nice day out i pulled my 97 eldo out for a spin. while driving smoke started to come out from the hood. i stoped and looked come to find out a old vacuum hoes was rubbing against the serpentine belt /pullys. after i pulled it out and let the smoke clear i cut the car back on seemed great until i turned the ac on now it doesnt blow cold and when i accelerate the serpentine belt feels like its dragging (not flowing freely) and its hard for it to accelerate doesnt do it as smoothly. also when foot isnt on the pedal belt seems to flow freely again but as soon as i give it gas it makes the dragging noise. i feel that maybe the compressor went out and the pully is dragging the belt? i dont know just guessing anyone have an idea on what could be going on?

Submariner409
02-27-10, 04:51 PM
Open the hood, start the car in P and look at the belt and every pulley using a strong flashlight. Have an assistant rev the engine to 1,500 rpm briefly. If something associated with the serpentine belt is frozen or dragging it will become obvious - very rapidly. Also inspect the water pump belt and tensioner.

If the engine feels normal with the A/C OFF and sluggish with it ON, then that's a clue - the compressor may have locked up and the compressor electromagnetic clutch is now burned up.

Talamant3z
02-27-10, 06:44 PM
Open the hood, start the car in P and look at the belt and every pulley using a strong flashlight. Have an assistant rev the engine to 1,500 rpm briefly. If something associated with the serpentine belt is frozen or dragging it will become obvious - very rapidly. Also inspect the water pump belt and tensioner.

If the engine feels normal with the A/C OFF and sluggish with it ON, then that's a clue - the compressor may have locked up and the compressor electromagnetic clutch is now burned up.

once i can get someone to help me ill try rev the engine but i drove it around my block and i noticed it still felt sluggish/draging when ac mode off. anytime i accelerate it would sleem sluggish and once i got going it seemed the draging effect would cycle like the compressor does but ac mode was off. the extra vacuum hoes that was bring burt my the pully and belt was near the compressor could that vacuum hoes could have messed the pully up?