: Any suggestions for new Cadillac model names?

orconn
02-27-10, 11:46 AM
It has been awhile since Cadillac dropped their traditional names for their various models (Fleetwood, Sedan de Ville, Eldorado, etc.) in favor of letter designations (CTS, DTS, XTS). Should Cadillac go back to the old nomenclature or should they adopt completely new names for different Cadillac models. Names like Cadillac "Courtesan" conjure up certain images (beautiful, expensive and available to only a select few), or "200 Grand" (if you got it flaunt it). Or should Cadillac design cars and models to fit the old names: Coupe de Ville, Seville. Do you have any suggestions for names of new Cadillac models?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-27-10, 12:29 PM
O-L-D N-A-M-E-S

Half the fun of the older Cadillacs (well not really) was the cool names! They weren't names made up in corporate boardrooms to sound appealing (Lexus, Infiniti), but rather they were named after luxurious sounding places, or like most businesses, they were named after someone's last name.

-Eldorado- named after the "lost city of gold"
-Seville- the artistic, cultural, and financial capital of southern Spain
-Brougham- British statesman who became lord Chancellor of England. 1778-1868
-Fleetwood- town in Lancashire England
-Sixty Special- again, just sounds cool, classy & stylish
-Calais- town in northern france
-Talisman- an amulet, or other object, considered to possess supernatural powers
-d'Elegance- "of elegance" in French.

Shit, even Cadillac it's self was a french explorer in northern North America, and he founded what would become Detroit in 1701. Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, sieur de Cadillac was his full name.

So yeah, they should definitely revert to the old names. :)

concorso
02-27-10, 12:39 PM
Stop following the germans and japanese. Give us words.

Bro-Ham
02-27-10, 12:59 PM
Stop following the germans and japanese. Give us words.

Great names belong on great cars. I think the current generic names fit the current cars.

In 1967 when Cadillac introduced the front wheel drive Eldorado, the advertsing read: "ELDORADO - THE WORLD'S GREATEST PERSONAL CAR." How true it was in that era!

A Cadillac Fleetwood was formerly a "standard of the world" car back in the day when they were competing with the world's best cars. It's been awhile...and I'm not talking the 1996 Fleetwood.

When Cadillac becomes the very best in class, prestige, elegance, luxury, performance, innovation, and engineering then the great cars will be in desperate need of great names and we will have them. Until then it's fun to talk about and dream about.

orconn
02-27-10, 01:19 PM
O-L-D N-A-M-E-S

Half the fun of the older Cadillacs (well not really) was the cool names! They weren't names made up in corporate boardrooms to sound appealing (Lexus, Infiniti), but rather they were named after luxurious sounding places, or like most businesses, they were named after someone's last name.

-Talisman- an amulet, or other object, considered to possess supernatural powers

Shit, even Cadillac it's self was a french explorer in northern North America, and he founded what would become Detroit in 1701. Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, sieur de Cadillac was his full name.

So yeah, they should definitely revert to the old names. :)

Brougham = a style of horse drawn carriage, usually denoting a functional "S"
bar ion the roofs's rear sid panel.

Fleetwood = the name of the luxury auto coach builder acquired by GM to
to build custom bodies for Cadillacs. For many years the body
body fabricator for Cadillac cars as opposed to other GM bodies
Fisher Body.

C&C
02-27-10, 03:04 PM
I think I'd like to see names again (myself), but in lieu of that (and with tongue firmly inserted in-cheek), how about the YQW-F.

Gristle Boy
02-27-10, 04:04 PM
"Dave"

Sandy
02-27-10, 07:05 PM
I agree with Chad & Orconn. Thank you, Chad, for including Sixty Special, 'cause everyone else forgets.

orconn
02-27-10, 08:00 PM
The first "Sixty Special" was actually like a pre-war '76 Seville a luxury version of the smallest Cadillac. The 1938 Sixty-Special was a model 60 (base model) Cadillac with a special roofline that could be ordered with ascending degrees of luxurious formal interiors. The 1938-1941 Sixty-Specials are among my very most favorite Cadillacs of all time. They indeed were special, even incomparison to te V-12s and V-16s. Sandy, your lovelly Sixty-Special certainly carried on the tradition of sophisticated elegance; as my NYC fashion designer aunt would have described both cars, they were "swanky!"

Angry Matt
02-27-10, 08:21 PM
Fleetwood = the name of the luxury auto coach builder acquired by GM to build custom bodies for Cadillacs. For many years the body
body fabricator for Cadillac cars as opposed to other GM bodies
Fisher Body.

From Fleetwood Pennsylvania

77CDV
02-27-10, 09:48 PM
I'm with Chad. Bring back the old names. The current alphabet soup is a thin gruel indeed.

sven914
02-28-10, 12:52 AM
O-L-D N-A-M-E-S

I think they should go further than that; mix and match like they used to do.

Eldorado Brougham, Eldorado Seville, Fleetwood Eldorado, Fleetwood Brougham, Fleetwood Series Seventy-Five, Sixty Special Fleetwood, Town Brougham (1919 Model year).

Maybe something new: Brougham de Ville (French for "Town Brougham") or Eldorado de Ville (just sounds cool).

V-Eight
02-28-10, 01:06 AM
Mixing and matching just makes for confusion.

Jesda
02-28-10, 03:37 AM
I liked the Italian and Spanish city names, but I'm open for any words that define modern luxury. "Escalade" is perhaps the best and most effective name for a modern automobile, ever. It means 'to elevate or ascend.' Acura "Legend" was powerful. How can you top being Legendary?

I'm okay with letting go of past badges, but the new ones should be more interesting.

johnny kannapo
02-28-10, 07:08 AM
How they settle on some of these names is curious. I know extensive effort is put into market research surveying crossections of populations before a conclusion of a new "title" is marketed unless you are Edsel Ford. That name "Edsel" alone could be the reason for the failure of that line of cars.

c5 rv
02-28-10, 07:31 AM
GM would bring back the old names if they could, but they sold them to the old-GM in bankruptcy. :D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-28-10, 10:36 AM
"Escalade" is perhaps the best and most effective name for a modern automobile, ever. It means 'to elevate or ascend.

Interesting you mention Escalade, because that's the only new Cadillac to have a proper name, not three letters.

orconn
02-28-10, 11:19 AM
How about naming a new line of Cadillacs after different kinds of cheese. The base model could the "Stilton," the upscale version the "Camembert," the youthful sports sedan the "Brie," the crossover the "Cheddar," and the full blown luxury model the "Roquefort." Kills three birds with one stone stays with the French theme, uses place names and will probably stay unique to Cadillac!

The Chevrolet Division could undermine Hyndai's new Equus luxury line by going with equestrian derived names. The crossover could be the "Cart Horse," their sub compact the "Shetland," sports sedan the "Thoroughbred" and the Corvette replacement the "Quarter Horse" the indispensable truck derivative "Clydesdale" and the full sized family sedan "Old Nelly!"

Buick should stay with number designations or maybe airport abbreviations like "LAX" or "JAX"

Submariner409
02-28-10, 11:30 AM
Cadillac Grande Sauvignon Blanc deVille.

Pinot Grigio Phaeton Drophead Touring

Chardonnay Clipper

Trackstar Merlot

Syrah Stinger

Cabernet Seville Limited

Ripple Roadeater

orconn
02-28-10, 11:35 AM
Cadillac Grande Sauvignon Blanc deVille.

Pinot Grigio Phaeton Drophead Touring

Chardonnay Clipper

Trackstar Merlot

Syrah Stinger

Cabernet Seville Limited

Ripple Roadeater

Yeah, those would work too, although you might get the Temperance people up in arms! At least with cheese you could say Cadillac was on the cutting edge!

Bro-Ham
02-28-10, 12:57 PM
The first "Sixty Special" was actually like a pre-war '76 Seville a luxury version of the smallest Cadillac. The 1938 Sixty-Special was a model 60 (base model) Cadillac with a special roofline that could be ordered with ascending degrees of luxurious formal interiors. The 1938-1941 Sixty-Specials are among my very most favorite Cadillacs of all time. They indeed were special, even incomparison to te V-12s and V-16s. Sandy, your lovelly Sixty-Special certainly carried on the tradition of sophisticated elegance; as my NYC fashion designer aunt would have described both cars, they were "swanky!"

The 1938 60 Special was popular also because in the post depression era there were fewer rich folks who employed chauffeurs to drive them and the old school giant Fleetwoods were way too enormous for many people to handle on their own for self driving. Similar to the comparison of the Seville in 1975, the full size Cadillacs were as large as ocean liners and women, in particular, loved the top of the line features in the Seville in a more driveable car size.

Let's hope Cadillacs will one day be Cadillacs again - fabulous names and all!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-28-10, 07:17 PM
How about naming a new line of Cadillacs after different kinds of cheese. The base model could the "Stilton," the upscale version the "Camembert," the youthful sports sedan the "Brie," the crossover the "Cheddar," and the full blown luxury model the "Roquefort." Kills three birds with one stone stays with the French theme, uses place names and will probably stay unique to Cadillac!

Lmao! Who knew driving a car could be so appetizing!

I like how the old Chevy's ('50's & '60's) were named after beaches:
Biscayne, Bel Air, etc etc. I know there are more, I can't think of 'em now.

Destroyer
02-28-10, 07:29 PM

You left out the "Feta". :histeric:

Aron9000
02-28-10, 09:56 PM
If Cadillac ever builds an S-class competitor, name it Fleetwood.

I think Eldorado would be a fitting name for an expensive 75k+ personal luxury coupe. People say that market is dead, but its merely moved way upmarket(think Benz CL, BMW 6 series, Jag XK, etc)

I would leave Deville and Seville in the past. Both of those names conjure up Boca Raton retiree IMO, and as the old saying goes, you can sell an old man a young man's car, but you can never sell a young man an old man's car.