: I went to Smashburger for the first time today.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-26-10, 01:47 AM
And was very impressed.

I got the half pound Bacon Cheeseburger, with no onion, with a side of smash fries. It compared very well to Five Guys.

Comparing the burgers, the bacon double at 5 Guys is two smaller patties, stacked on top of each other, which probably is a 1/3 pound burger. Now at Smash, they have the 1/3 and 1/2 lb burgers, both are single patties, the difference is the size. They share the same bun, but with the 1/2 lb, there's much "meat hangover" and the 1/3 fits in the bun quite nicely. Smashburger uses a thicker cut bacon, which is mega FTW, and I'd have to say their cheddar cheese compliments the burger & bacon better than the american cheese in Five Guys. Five Guys' bun is softer, but Smashburger's bun is a kaiser roll, is bigger and is arguably better tasting. The only problem I had with the Smashburger today is that it was a little pink in the center....not sure if it was because it was the half pounder and was therefore thicker than the 1/3 pound my friend got....his had no pink.

Now the fries....they're much better IMO than Five Guys fries. Five Guys uses those thick, skin on fries, and Smashburger uses much thinner, normal sized fries that are served up crispier and tastier. Their Smashfries are tossed with rosemary, olive oil, garlic and other herbs for a taste you shan't forget. But, on the other hand, they don't give you the inane volume of fries that Five Guys does, but that doesn't matter for me anyways because most of those go to waste.

Also, the food is prepared to look much more appealing at Smashburger....it's served open faced on a nice tray whereas Five Guys wraps all their burgers in tin foil & throws them in a paper bag, whether or not you're eating in.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs036.snc3/12403_619561259102_199104188_35453939_1935505_n.jp g

I love America. :drool: :drool:

greencadillacmatt
02-26-10, 03:24 AM
That looks positively delightful good sir. :drool: Any idea if there are any Smashburgers in Michigan? I've never heard of them before.

itschrome
02-26-10, 03:29 AM
never heard of them, but i do now five guys and i love them! you say the burger is generally over all better at smashburger but how about the customization of the burger. which to me is the huge draw for five guys. plus five guys has free peanuts....... does smashburgers?? do they?? huh... i mean its not lie i go there for the peanuts, but i certainly do no NOT go there for the free peanuts.. umm... but yeah my point being are you as free to customize?

Jesda
02-26-10, 03:33 AM
The bun matters! People always forget that its one half of the burger. I wish Five Guys used denser bread.

Aron9000
02-26-10, 05:08 AM
Nobody can touch Five Guys fries, but I can think of four places in town that have better burgers:

1. Rotier's- local hole in the wall college place, burger is best expierenced with a side of oninon rings, and onion rings on the burger
2. Cheeseburger Charlies- Grilled on a grill while you wait, buffalo burger is insanely good, and they have a condiment bar where you put the toppings on it.
3. Hardee's- Everybody knows about the Thickburger, still my favorite burger "chain"
4. Chilies- Damn good kaiser roll
5. Buster's in Murfreesboro- total dive bar, usually has biker dudes in there on weekends. Amazing hamburgers and brats, but that's about all they serve.

itschrome
02-26-10, 05:20 AM
Nobody can touch Five Guys fries, but I can think of four places in town that have better burgers:

1. Rotier's- local hole in the wall college place, burger is best expierenced with a side of oninon rings, and onion rings on the burger
2. Cheeseburger Charlies- Grilled on a grill while you wait, buffalo burger is insanely good, and they have a condiment bar where you put the toppings on it.
3. Hardee's- Everybody knows about the Thickburger, still my favorite burger "chain"
4. Chilies- Damn good kaiser roll
5. Buster's in Murfreesboro- total dive bar, usually has biker dudes in there on weekends. Amazing hamburgers and brats, but that's about all they serve.

well if we are gonna talk about great burgers there is this place the Madison Brew pub in Bennington, VT that has the best burger ever. Its a venison burger with smoked Goda, wild mushrooms, onions, peppers all served up on an awesome hearty bun. Also being a brew pub they brew their own beers which are really good as well. In the spring/summer I lie to take a drive on a nice sunny day, and if it was a 1hr drive through steep windy mountains I'd go all year. :thumbsup:

Also not thats its the best burger ever, but the cheese cake factories 'Tons of fun' burger rocks! its like a Big mac on crack!

Aron9000
02-26-10, 07:13 AM
well if we are gonna talk about great burgers there is this place the Madison Brew pub in Bennington, VT that has the best burger ever. Its a venison burger with smoked Goda, wild mushrooms, onions, peppers all served up on an awesome hearty bun. Also being a brew pub they brew their own beers which are really good as well. In the spring/summer I lie to take a drive on a nice sunny day, and if it was a 1hr drive through steep windy mountains I'd go all year. :thumbsup:

Also not thats its the best burger ever, but the cheese cake factories 'Tons of fun' burger rocks! its like a Big mac on crack!

I love deer burgers. My buddy is an avid hunter, he has the hookup on deer meat. I also like making chili out of the ground meat, so much healthier than hamburger chili.

Stingroo
02-26-10, 08:42 AM
Deer chili is great. My cousin is a huge deer hunter, and he lives up here in Jax, and I used to LOVE visiting him as a kid just to get to eat some of his awesome chili.

Now that I'm up here for school... mmmm.... :drool:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-26-10, 08:49 AM

Grilled on a grill? That's insane! Most places I go to grill it up on top of the fridge!

but how about the customization of the burger. which to me is the huge draw for five guys. plus five guys has free peanuts....... does smashburgers?? do they?? huh... i mean its not lie i go there for the peanuts, but i certainly do no NOT go there for the free peanuts.. umm... but yeah my point being are you as free to customize?

Smashburger does not offer the free customization or free peanuts of Five Guys. But, considering how I only get Mayo & BBQ sauce on my burger, and the fact that I despise peanuts, it really doesn't matter to me.

Also, I should say that I'm willing to bet that Smashburger's hot dogs are better than Five Guys...as they use Hebrew National....and everyone knows that the jews know how to build a damn fine all beef frank! And you can get a brat there too....which is a Johnsonville Beer Bratwurst....about the best, juiciest brat on the market.

Shit, now I wanna go back... :) :drool:

Aron9000
02-26-10, 09:01 AM
Grilled on a grill? That's insane! Most places I go to grill it up on top of the fridge!

Oh quit being a smartass, you know what I mean. There is actual fire cooking your meat, its not a griddle.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-26-10, 09:02 AM
Oh quit being a smartass, you know what I mean. There is actual fire cooking your meat, its not a griddle.

Lol I gotcha. :)

V-Eight
02-26-10, 09:39 AM
Wow, that looks good

77CDV
02-26-10, 03:29 PM

Cheeky!:rolleyes:

gdwriter
02-26-10, 05:18 PM
The bun matters! People always forget that its one half of the burger. I wish Five Guys used denser bread.That's one of the things I love about In-N-Out the buns. Along with the lettuce, tomatoes and onions, you can really taste how fresh everything is.

gdwriter
02-26-10, 05:28 PM
Looks like the closet Smashburger to me is Boise, ID: 486 miles, 7:50.

The closest In-N-Out is in Redding, CA: 381 miles, 6:05.

In-N-Out wins.

However, from a practical standpoint, I need to try Five Guys, since they have stores in metro Portland. West Linn, OR: 55 miles, 1:07

itschrome
02-26-10, 06:47 PM
hey just wondering whats your guys favorite way to make your own burgers? For me I like to use Bison, its lean and tastes better than beef. How ever since its lean you have to be careful cause you can dry it out very easily and nothing worse than a dry burger! I will add a pinch of salt and pepper to it but it really bring the flavor out. It has to be cooked over charcoal, no questions, if, or buts. Propane is for ***** ass girly men.......... I like a cheese that can stand its own against the meat, A huge fan of smoked cheeses for this whether it be a Gouda, cheddar, provolone, or any number of excellent smoked cheeses. I find the smoked compliments the charcoal flavor but also they tend to be firmer so they melt but not to the point they get messy. gotta have bacon! think, i mean think i want 1/2 and inch if my butcher will cut it for me. nice red onions, crispy roman lettuce (ice burg sucks!) and some pickled jalapenos. I like mayo and ketchup on a hearty roll... mmmmmm

Stingroo
02-26-10, 06:58 PM
You're making me hungry. This is not fair.

dkozloski
02-26-10, 06:59 PM
Speaking of Smashburger, it's hard to beat road killed porcupine.

itschrome
02-26-10, 07:22 PM
You're making me hungry. This is not fair.

:D

your not alone, it will be another month before the old grill comes out and i can get my burger on!! till then five guys has me covered.. hahaha

oh also on a burger note i'm heading to new haven CT for the weekend and I am hoping to hit up Louis Lunch. The claimed birth place of the hamburger. I go to ne whaven like once a month and i never seem to mae it, maybe i will this time.. haha

Stingroo
02-26-10, 08:00 PM
Hahaha grills getting put away. Silly northerners and your winter weather. :D!

orconn
02-26-10, 09:11 PM
DKoz's thoughts on "roadkill porcupine" brought back memories of California mountain ( well foothill) roads paved in squashed opossum? With "Smashburger" winning plaudets from our fast food gurus, perhaps "the Arnold" should look into exploiting this Golden State asset! 'Possom Pup a California Treat!

ben.gators
02-27-10, 12:33 AM
You went to what burger?:confused:

thebigjimsho
02-27-10, 02:41 PM
I'm sorry, but until I try these fries, nothing touches Five Guys fries...NOTHING!

thebigjimsho
02-27-10, 02:42 PM
And I was uber-pissed today. I went to a SHO meet with guys here in New England and we had breakfast at an Old Country Buffet. And I didn't see that there was a Five Guys newly built on the other side of the parking lot! DAMMIT!!!

thebigjimsho
02-27-10, 02:43 PM

Well, that's it. I've never tried venison but I was thinking of maybe having a meet and drive out in the Berkshires in the spring. I know jimbo with the V2 is local. We should meet up and eat there...

itschrome
02-27-10, 07:09 PM
Well, that's it. I've never tried venison but I was thinking of maybe having a meet and drive out in the Berkshires in the spring. I know jimbo with the V2 is local. We should meet up and eat there...

Count me in!:thumbsup:

orconn
02-27-10, 08:43 PM
OK, OK I've succumbed to the siren call of a great hamburger. We don't have Smashburger as yet in Richmond, but apparently 5 Guys Hamburgers have arrived here and so as soon as I am suffuciently recovered from oral surgery, I will be off to sample this exalted burger and fries! After hearing the reviews of our esteemed Forum members I have decided it will be Five Guys first and then Rocket Burger for comparison. I am hoping you all will have freed me from the dismal mediocrity that is eating out in Richmond.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-27-10, 09:03 PM
Ugh, just got back from an all you can eat Mongolian BBQ.....not feeling so hot now.

77CDV
02-27-10, 10:52 PM
YouTube- Alka Seltzer Ad

Stingroo
02-27-10, 10:54 PM
^ Party pooper. :(

I want a hamburger now.

orconn
02-28-10, 12:34 AM
Ugh, just got back from an all you can eat Mongolian BBQ.....not feeling so hot now.

Chad, I hate to let you in on this ... but the Mongols were not noted for their fine cuisine! In fact if they hadn't subjugated their Chinese neighbors to the south they would probably still be passing off urine cured yak's milk as yum, yum! Legend has it that the reason they beat the food cooking on their shields was to kill it so as to more easily get it in their mouth. The Chinese introduced them to the nicety killing their meat prior to throwing it on the fire. The Chinese also taught them that things go better with soy sauce especially after having been aged between a saddle and your horse.