: Dowel Problem!

malibuandryan
02-26-10, 12:36 AM
I really messed up one of the dowels....Did that old trick by putting in one of the chain guide bolts and clamped down on it......bad, bad idea.....I really don't have any dowel to grab now.....Can I use the bit that came with this stud kit, and drill out the bad dowel (very carefully)???..if not what do I do?..The other three are getting removed the right way for shure!............................By the way, I have a few holes drilled and tapped and ready to go!!....It's working great!!..Ryan

1997 Deville Concours

97EldoCoupe
02-26-10, 06:47 AM
That dowel has to be out completely. The 17/32 bit will remove a little bit of the alignment pin but there will still be a thin shell left. It has to come out.

My advice would be to first drill out what you can, using the fixture plate of course, and then cut down the side of the dowel with a very sharp, small chisel. Very carefully. Then using a very small flat tipped screw driver, pry out what's left.

Good luck :)

zonie77
02-26-10, 11:32 AM
That dowel has to be out completely. The 17/32 bit will remove a little bit of the alignment pin but there will still be a thin shell left. It has to come out.

My advice would be to first drill out what you can, using the fixture plate of course, and then cut down the side of the dowel with a very sharp, small chisel. Very carefully. Then using a very small flat tipped screw driver, pry out what's left.

Good luck :)

I'll add that if you slightly damage the side of the hole that the dowel seats against it won't hurt anything. That is only the side of the hole only, be very careful not to damage the top of the block.

The side the dowel is going to seat against the side and the side doesn't seal anything, the top of the block does the sealing.

malibuandryan
02-26-10, 11:44 PM
Got the dowels out!....I ended up welding a bolt to the three remaining dowels and out they came!...worked like a charm!:thumbsup:.....Thanks for the help.....Ryan

1997 Deville Concours

97EldoCoupe
02-27-10, 12:09 AM
I'm glad it worked for you! :thumbsup:

- those pins can be a real pain....