: PCM Reflash

jedhead
02-25-10, 05:16 PM
I took my STS-V into the dealer to get some warranty work done and find out why the engine hot = AC Off came up with the temp gauge at zero and oil temp normal.
Apparently the PCM had an older program and they reflashed PCM to the latest version. The car is quite different in the way it drives. The shifting is a little firmer, tires break loose shifting into second and barks shifting into third. Also the engine is much more responsive to the throttle. I still haven't installed the wait4me PCM yet because I wanted to get all the warranty work out of the way. If you haven't had your car flashed to the newest version, I highly recommend the reflash.

Warranty work:
Replaced leading edge door seal
Replaced leaking pinion seal and bushing
Replaced failing wheel hub
Waiting for replacement steering wheel (heater failed)
Waiting for new upgraded motor mounts (mine are getting worn out)

Glad the car is still under warranty and has the CPO warranty to take over once the original expires in 2011
Bob

torched10
02-25-10, 07:30 PM
Good idea--what year STSV do you have??

PGA2B
02-25-10, 07:50 PM
Bob
I had to have the PCM replaced when I bought mine beacuse they could not get it to accept the reflash. Every time it down shifted at low speed it would bark the tires and damn near give you whiplash. Once they replaced the PCM they reflashed it to the current load and I can't wait to get the HP Tuner software to get her tuned in.

jedhead
02-25-10, 09:42 PM
I have a 2006.

Bob

silverws6ta
02-26-10, 10:25 AM
Apparently the PCM had an older program and they reflashed PCM to the latest version. The car is quite different in the way it drives. The shifting is a little firmer, tires break loose shifting into second and barks shifting into third. Also the engine is much more responsive to the throttle. I still haven't installed the wait4me PCM yet because I wanted to get all the warranty work out of the way. If you haven't had your car flashed to the newest version, I highly recommend the reflash.

Warranty work:
Replaced leading edge door seal
Replaced leaking pinion seal and bushing
Replaced failing wheel hub
Waiting for replacement steering wheel (heater failed)
Waiting for new upgraded motor mounts (mine are getting worn out)

Glad the car is still under warranty and has the CPO warranty to take over once the original expires in 2011
Bob

Thats a huge reccomendation to everyone -- both ECM, TCM, and Updating the NAV to the latest firmware as well.

I notice your steering wheel heater is out too? Mine sometimes the light will come on but then will go out. They ordered one back in December -- hasn't arrived yet though.

silverws6ta
02-26-10, 06:08 PM
whats the best way to figure out if you need the new flash or not?

You will need either EFILive or a Tech 2 in order to read the calibation information from each module; compare against calid.gm.com (enter VIN)

Then, build a good relationship with your dealer; if you have been experiencing any of the symptoms noted in the calibrations on calid.gm.com then report them to the service writer/manager -- its not a 'customary' think unless you have some kind of complaint unless you have a super dealer to work with.

ray901537
02-26-10, 07:59 PM
I justt got my car back today from the dealer, i had a check engine light come on for just a day then it went out. I also had some pretty rough shifting in 3rd gear. They checked the system and found the code p0174 and my paper work says " CLIENT STATES THAT CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON, FOUND CODE P0714, FOUND TSB 09 06 04 032A REPROGRAM PCM, POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE ENGINE REPROGRAMMING WIT" since then i havent felt any weird tranny shifts and everything seems to be ok. I didnt really do any research into what the service rep said but he did say that the car needing to be reprogrammed mayyy have messed with the tranny. Anyways i couldnt be more happy with my last visit, i had to have gotten at least $3000 worth of stuff done and a brand new cts rental car for free :)

oh they also said that they updated anything that needed to be updated so im guessing we are all good there...

meekna
02-28-10, 06:08 AM
thats a great link, calid.gm.com thanks silverws6ta

cad08stsv
02-28-10, 10:50 AM
Yes, Thanks for the Heads up.
Russell:highfive: