: anyone else have a whine at 40mph?

djmodifyd
02-25-10, 11:59 AM
Quick question. I have an 07 AWD and have a noticeable whine, but only under load and at 40mph.

Dealer replaced both diffs. last august because of this, and i didn't notice a change at all. 2 weeks ago they put different fluid in which reduced the whine but its still there.

Im just wondering if this is normal and i have nothing to worry about. Im still under warranty so its not a huge deal, but i do want it to be correct.

Also there is a noticeable engine noise/rumble. Im guessing just because it has a large engine and its normal as well, but do you guys have engine noise as well?

thanks!

buckeyefan007
02-25-10, 02:44 PM
Can you tell approximately where the whine is coming from? It may be a wheel bearing that is going bad. How many miles do you have on it?

My engine has a nice rumble that I like, especially when I get on it:thumbsup:

djmodifyd
02-25-10, 03:32 PM
its from the front somewhere..can here it more from the driver side than the passenger side. has 32k miles on it.

buckeyefan007
02-27-10, 01:01 AM
Have they checked the drivers side front wheel bearing to see if it is bad?

djmodifyd
02-27-10, 06:50 AM
Have they checked the drivers side front wheel bearing to see if it is bad?

im not sure...if they have they didn't tell me they did.....ill bring that up.

thanks..

cadmanchris
02-27-10, 10:23 AM
Sounds like side carrier bearings in the front differential. I would have them recheck it if they replaced it. But you cannot get a whole unit, they have to be rebuilt.

I have the same problem on mine and will be pulling the front diff out soon to rebuild it.

djmodifyd
02-27-10, 07:09 PM
Sounds like side carrier bearings in the front differential. I would have them recheck it if they replaced it. But you cannot get a whole unit, they have to be rebuilt.

I have the same problem on mine and will be pulling the front diff out soon to rebuild it.

ok thanks...i supposed i'll just have to head back to the dealer then.

and yes they did replace the differentals (rebuilt both of them)

EXTnumber2
03-16-10, 10:54 AM
they had to replace the transfer case in my 07. Apparently the trasfer cases fail in many late model GM's. soemhting about magnesium shell or bad bearings. Was a 3.5k part on the warranty bill. My front diff is failing now too, two seals replaced and the bearings are noisy. The drivetrains on these trucks are terrible! BTW my Dealer is refusing to fix the front diff until the whine gets worse. Good luck.

hcvone
03-16-10, 02:29 PM
The biggest problem with the rears (front and back diffs) is they do not hold much gear oil, and the oil gets very hot, this leads to failure, I used to change my diff oils at 25k miles, I now change them at 15k miles, use my new oil suction unit and it's very fast and easy, also if you drive thru deep water it's a good idea to get the gear oil changed to make sure that no water got into the case.

djmodifyd
03-16-10, 06:43 PM
well just got it back from the dealer today.
they tried a different fluid which didn't do anything...so this time they put in a new front axle and differential, it is a little quieter and they said it will take 500-1000 miles to quiet down more.

they said if it doesn't go away to go back again...said maybe its the hubs? this is getting frusterating...its been at the dealer a total of 2 weeks trying to get this whine taken care of.

i suppose it could be the transfer case..maybe ill bring that up

EXTnumber2
03-17-10, 12:20 AM
Yeah have them look into the transfer case. I had the front diff fail on my 2005 EXT and now my 07 is failing to. But the tranfer case outright failed on my 07 it was grinding away.. apparently the transfer cases fail on many of the GM selectable 4x4's not just the AWD drivetrains. I asked a local drivetrain shop and he says he gets as many transfer case failures as he does differential failures. Im just lucky GM stepped up the powertrain warranty so I dont worry about it as much. Your lucky the dealer is willing to swap out the while axle and diff, mine is refusing to do anything about my diff until it becomes much worse.. i dont like that.

djmodifyd
03-17-10, 11:35 AM
Yeah have them look into the transfer case. I had the front diff fail on my 2005 EXT and now my 07 is failing to. But the tranfer case outright failed on my 07 it was grinding away.. apparently the transfer cases fail on many of the GM selectable 4x4's not just the AWD drivetrains. I asked a local drivetrain shop and he says he gets as many transfer case failures as he does differential failures. Im just lucky GM stepped up the powertrain warranty so I dont worry about it as much. Your lucky the dealer is willing to swap out the while axle and diff, mine is refusing to do anything about my diff until it becomes much worse.. i dont like that.

ok...thanks for the post

if it doesn't go away ill have them look at the transfer case.

yea..the dealer is trying, they just can't seem to get it.

they rebuilt the diff with no luck, tried different fluid, and then just got a brand new one with axle...so i can't say they arn't trying