: How is the upgraded server treating you?

Lord Cadillac
02-25-10, 09:24 AM
WELL?!?! :highfive:

Submariner409
02-25-10, 09:35 AM
Sal,

I posted in the "Site News" a few minutes ago - so far, things are back to the old days - fast. I've tried everything - posts, edits, page changes, PM's, replies.

All back to normal - fast. No timeouts or page hangups.

700+ in site now, but with new CPU's the speed should stay up even with a high site load.

Thanks,

Jim

Stingroo
02-25-10, 09:37 AM
Good to go! :thumbsup:

What did you upgrade to/add?

Lord Cadillac
02-25-10, 09:46 AM
Sal,

I posted in the "Site News" a few minutes ago - so far, things are back to the old days - fast. I've tried everything - posts, edits, page changes, PM's, replies.

All back to normal - fast. No timeouts or page hangups.

700+ in site now, but with new CPU's the speed should stay up even with a high site load.

Thanks,

Jim

Thank you!

Good to go! :thumbsup:

What did you upgrade to/add?

We HAD 4 CPUs and now we have 8 (we added an additional quad core processor)...

Florian
02-25-10, 09:57 AM
much quicker....thanks!

F

Lord Cadillac
02-25-10, 10:05 AM
much quicker....thanks!

F
Thank you. 945 people on the forums alone right now.. Still looking good. I have a feeling we'll be getting a lot more traffic now that most people won't be turned off by slow page loading...

Stingroo
02-25-10, 10:09 AM
Should be awesome. Slow page loading was just starting to be a problem for me in the last couple of days though... not quite as bad as it was for most people.

Ranger
02-25-10, 10:41 AM
:thumbsup: Only on for a short time, but so far, so good. Thanks Sal. Leaving for Eagle River Wisc. shortly to do some snowmobiling. Be back Sunday. Hope everything stays running well.

c5 rv
02-25-10, 01:29 PM
It was quick, until I opened this thread when it slowed way down. LOL

gdwriter
02-25-10, 02:08 PM
:thumbsup: Only on for a short time, but so far, so good. Thanks Sal. Hope everything stays running well.:yeah:

LS1Mike
02-25-10, 02:08 PM
Much better, everything is quicker!

77CDV
02-25-10, 02:12 PM
Site is back to being ship shape in Bristol fashion.

RightTurn
02-25-10, 02:20 PM
:highfive: Much better, Sal. Thanks. :cheer:

The Tony Show
02-25-10, 02:23 PM
Quite a bit better. I think this was a much needed upgrade.

Jesda
02-25-10, 03:09 PM
MORE CORES! Good job, Sal.

Lord Cadillac
02-25-10, 03:40 PM
Thank you, everyone! I'm very happy to see/hear that the upgrade worked.. My greatest online achievement is laying the foundation that brought so many great people together in one place. Between security token errors, various other vBulletin issues and most of all - SPEED - it was very depressing seeing it all go down hill. I hope this major bump in the road doesn't come around again too quickly...

Thanks again...

greencadillacmatt
02-25-10, 05:37 PM
Like Lightening! THANKS SAL!!! :Playdrv4me:

Angry Matt
02-25-10, 07:47 PM
Great Job Sal! You're the man!:bows:

slk230mb
02-25-10, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the continued hard work Sal!

itschrome
02-25-10, 08:08 PM
Its awesome. I almost expect one of those little chocolate mints every time I log on...

77CDV
02-25-10, 10:29 PM
^:lol:

orconn
02-25-10, 10:53 PM
Onward and upward, Cadillac Forum. Viva la Sal!

txbest1980
02-26-10, 03:04 AM
much faster...thanks Sal...

one question for you though, will we ever get our photos back on our profile pages?

Lord Cadillac
02-26-10, 10:49 AM
Thanks again, everyone! In regards to the photos, I'm currently considering switching software altogether. For an example see http://www.lincolnowners.com

vBulletin is getting a little too crazy...

Stingroo
02-26-10, 11:05 AM
Invision FTW! I have a lot of experience with those boards. I love them to death.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-26-10, 03:33 PM
I like the way things look here though. I am a member on your Lincoln site Sal but I don't head there that often because I have trouble viewing posts with the layout. Here there are nice, dark bars filled with info (poster name, avatar ect.) between posts and its much easier for my eyes to distinguish different posts that way.

Stingroo
02-26-10, 04:08 PM
He could make it look identical to this site using their forum creator.

If you're a bit curious, try and make a small forum yourself just to see what you can do:

www.ipbfree.com

It's a trimmed-down free version of the PowerBoard software that still allows for plenty of different takes on things.

Lord Cadillac
02-26-10, 04:26 PM
I like the way things look here though. I am a member on your Lincoln site Sal but I don't head there that often because I have trouble viewing posts with the layout. Here there are nice, dark bars filled with info (poster name, avatar ect.) between posts and its much easier for my eyes to distinguish different posts that way.
The problem is, the new version of vBulletin looks just like IPB... http://www.vbulletin.com/forum

Stingroo
02-26-10, 04:49 PM
In my opinion, that's wise of them.

Edit: never mind, answered my own question. IPB is cheaper too. :thumbsup:

billc83
02-26-10, 05:27 PM
Sal, thank you for all the hard work you put into the site.

Outside of the recent slowdown, I rarely have any issues. The new server is fantastic and appears to have fixed any slowdown.

Lord Cadillac
02-26-10, 07:24 PM
In my opinion, that's wise of them.

Edit: never mind, answered my own question. IPB is cheaper too. :thumbsup:

I definitely don't go cheap with my favorite forum! The ONLY reason I'm considering moving away from vBulletin is - lack of confidence. I'm losing confidence in them as a software provider. I used to use UBB (Ultimate Bulletin Board) and I saw vBulletin come along and topple the king.. Now I'm seeing Invision Power Board to do the same to vBulletin... I go with the best - not the cheapest. :p

Sal, thank you for all the hard work you put into the site.

Outside of the recent slowdown, I rarely have any issues. The new server is fantastic and appears to have fixed any slowdown.

You're very welcome! I'm glad to hear things haven't been too bad with site speed. Your ISP must like us. :)

Stingroo
02-26-10, 07:34 PM
Well, in my experience I too would consider IPB to be the best that's currently out there.

How much would be involved in a switch for us as far as data transferring? It would be a crying shame to lose even a small portion of all the information here.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-27-10, 02:22 AM
The problem is, the new version of vBulletin looks just like IPB... http://www.vbulletin.com/forum

Oh, ugh.

Lord Cadillac
02-27-10, 10:01 AM
Well, in my experience I too would consider IPB to be the best that's currently out there.

How much would be involved in a switch for us as far as data transferring? It would be a crying shame to lose even a small portion of all the information here.

It would be very difficult to transfer everything but we wouldn't lose anything... I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap, either.. Our database is tremendous. We go through over a terabyte of data every month..

Oh, ugh.

Exactly my thought... vBulletin was on top for a very long time.. It's somebody else's turn now...

Stingroo
02-27-10, 10:09 AM
Wow. That's a LOT of data.

Well, if I can help in even the smallest of ways, don't hesitate to ask. I'm more than willing.