: Costar Bluetooth

marcev
02-24-10, 07:30 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to give some input on the Costar unit. Just got in in the mail today and just like a kid, had to get it installed today. This DOES replace the onstar unit so if you like Onstar, this might not be the unit for you. The Onstar unit is directly behind the radio and hvac controls. It's a metal box that sits in a tray. You can't miss it. There are a few threads here that show you how to remove the radio if you are not famaliar with the process. Once I removed the radio and hvac controls, I removed the Onstar box. Pretty simple except the antennas. They just "came" off! lol. Once removed, I plugged in the Costar unit and "paired" my phone. Unit did not come with instructions, but they are on the website if you are not familiar with the pairing process. The test calls I placed went well. Good sound on my end. Didn't have to talk loud or constantly repeat myself. Talked in a normal tone and the recepient heard me clearly. I did have to play with the volume a bit because my test recepient was getting an echo on their end. After moving the phone and adjusting the volume, the unit worked well. Does not have caller ID, but my understanding is it is caller ID "Ready". Also did a test with the voicedial with no problem. The phone I use is the Iphone. I tried to attach photos taken with my phone showing the actual Onstar module and where I placed them but no luck. Sorry, but you should see it as soon as you remove the radio. It's a motorola box. for me personally, I cannot drive while holding my phone and really wanted bluetooth but didn't want to ruin the cosmetics of the dash. I don't subscribe to Onstar so it was no big deal to me. Just wanted to get some input out there for those looking for a bluetooth option. Hope this helps. :bouncy:

Escapade
02-25-10, 03:26 AM
Good to hear positive things, I ordered one too, still waiting and hope installing goes as smooth......

icejava
02-25-10, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the review marcev! This sounds like the perfect solution. I'd be happy to get rid of my worthless OnStar Module. Looks like they are backordered though.
http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/bluestar.html

icejava
02-25-10, 11:26 AM
marcev,
one quick question. Are you able to stream your music on your iphone over bluetooth using this unit?
Thanks

evil0ne
02-25-10, 06:47 PM
I'm interested in this thing but it seems like it's an expensive beta right now until it gets Caller ID etc added later on.

Escapade
03-01-10, 02:52 AM
Caller id will be updated thru USB...... Hardware is caller id ready, it's an improved version of the old unit they used to offer.....

evil0ne
03-01-10, 10:53 AM
Caller id will be updated thru USB...... Hardware is caller id ready, it's an improved version of the old unit they used to offer.....

Right, it's been two months and that upgrade still isn't here, when is it expected to be released? When that happens maybe then I'll bite.

humberto
03-01-10, 08:07 PM
Ordered my unit over a month ago should be here any day now.Cant wait.

roccos_van
03-02-10, 02:18 AM
right, it's been two months and that upgrade still isn't here, when is it expected to be released? When that happens maybe then i'll bite.

x2..

Escapade
03-04-10, 06:12 AM
Right, it's been two months and that upgrade still isn't here, when is it expected to be released? When that happens maybe then I'll bite.
Okay.... am not his agent nor distributor so I have no info on release date..... I was just clarifying the point made... and I don't think two months is such a long period of time...... we could be waiting even longer... I'd say stay away from this and just grab a 2010 lade:thumbsup:

Escapade
03-06-10, 11:20 AM
okay so just recieved n nstald it. M iphone wont pair and on my nokia cant get the volume to work..... It was working fine but now no control neither from wheel or stereo.... And yes you can stream music but volume sucks

marcev
03-06-10, 06:33 PM
hey, on the iphone, go to settings, then go to general and select bluetooth and make sure its on. your phone should recognize bluestar as an option. select bluestar and it should connect.

marcev
03-06-10, 06:35 PM
also make sure you get the update from the costar website. Version 2.15 I believe.

humberto
03-08-10, 08:35 PM
Well installed my new bluestar 2010 on Friday first problem i had was the echo problem that callers were complaining about so i lowered the mic gain through the cpu program on the site and problem fixed.Now im having a problem were my 3gs iphone keeps disconnecting with the bluestar unit via bluetooth????? For a half hour yesterday it would not connect,It connected this morning?I emailed costar but no responce?

humberto
03-12-10, 10:26 PM
Well installed my new bluestar 2010 on Friday first problem i had was the echo problem that callers were complaining about so i lowered the mic gain through the cpu program on the site and problem fixed.Now im having a problem were my 3gs iphone keeps disconnecting with the bluestar unit via bluetooth????? For a half hour yesterday it would not connect,It connected this morning?I emailed costar but no responce?

Just an update guys my echo problem is back and i have tried everything that tech support has told me to do.It seems like they have more testing to do with the bluestar 2010 nothing but problems with this thing and it seems like many other people are having problems as well.Looks like i will have to look at different options?It would be nice of them to have a contact number to be able to talk to a human over the phone.This emailing back and forth is just a big waste of my time.:ill:

Escapade
03-27-10, 12:34 PM
Oh well.... truth be told...... This unit is a waste of money up to this point...... I am definitely not happy with it at all! I even bought an HTC Hero cuz it wouldn't pair with my iphone...... plain and simple.... and for that price.... you'd rather just get a bluetooth headset.... honestly to honesty!

imthduke
05-25-10, 12:32 PM
I installed one on a 2006 SRX....one of the most frustrating and disappointed installs....would not work .....CS and tech support are a joke....in shipping it cost me $50 to be their test pig. I just subscribe to onstar and use Version as a second phone. My 2010 CTS wagon comes with bluetooth and works great.

Costar needs to do R&D and losts of testing before they ship stuff out that wont work only to gain disgusted customers.

roccos_van
05-25-10, 03:58 PM
You guys thinking of getting this for your escalade 07 - 08 are nuts. Get the factory unit off of ebay!!! They are now on there constantly seach ebay seller: rev281

humberto
05-25-10, 09:01 PM
:yup:Guys that unit from costar was a complete waste of my time i had so many problems with it.After trying everthing that they told me to try and giving the unit a fair chance i sent it back.:mad:I bought a vcim from ebay and couldnt be more happy with the stock unit.DO NOT ORDER A BLUESTAR 2010 IT IS NOT READY TO BE SOLD TO THE PUBLIC MORE TESTING HAS TO BE DONE.If you dont believe me go to there website and check out all the angry people that have bought this crap unit on the forums section.

t.matt
05-28-10, 03:58 AM
You guys thinking of getting this for your escalade 07 - 08 are nuts. Get the factory unit off of ebay!!! They are now on there constantly seach ebay seller: rev281

(newbie here..)What was the cost of the factory unit on ebay? Was it specific to an Escalade or just any newer GM?

101mph62
05-28-10, 01:50 PM
(newbie here..)What was the cost of the factory unit on ebay? Was it specific to an Escalade or just any newer GM?

its a vcim from a gmc its about 300-500 depending on the auction. There are tons of threads on here with instructions on install etc. Check them out.

humberto
05-28-10, 11:24 PM

paid 250 for mine

Big Windy Ext
05-30-10, 08:43 AM
It seems like the rev guy on e-bay is the only guy you can get them(GM vcim) from without a major hassle . It is where I got mine , works fine !!

ldyoung71
04-23-11, 09:26 PM
I am looking all over for the correct vcim. Can anyone help me?? I don't see them on e-bay.

Big Windy Ext
04-24-11, 08:13 AM
The one that ends in 7036 is on e-bay right now. Just search vcim and one of the three part numbers in the vcim posts.