: Over Aligned?

BMBSALES
02-24-10, 11:42 AM
Has anyone seen a specific TSB concerning the inner tire shoulder wear? i was wondering if it gave specific settings to eliminate. i had mine done at caddy dealership, and we may have went too far...now the outsides are wearing...

i know some say it's a firm suspension issue, but others have said it was due to neg camber to help v settle into turns. i think in my case we went to far with camber.:ill:

silverws6ta
02-24-10, 03:25 PM
This should be a good median; I don't drive my car very aggressively in turns -- also what tire pressure are you running up front?

http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk366/silverws6ta/Scan.jpg

BMBSALES
02-24-10, 04:42 PM
is that the sts v8 or sts-v? cause i know they are way different.

thanks ws6

silverws6ta
02-25-10, 05:49 PM
Thats from my STS-V -- which is the only baseline the alignment computer has; because there isn't a seperate calibration for our cars; The head tech at my dealer 'tweaks' the settings from factory and this is where he put mine -- No inner/outer wear as of yet on my new set.

torched10
02-25-10, 06:35 PM
Thanks for posting the alignement data--just so i understand, the numbers in the pic are the ACTUAL numbers your car is set at,not the Cadillac suggested numbers,right

BMBSALES
02-25-10, 08:35 PM
Thats from my STS-V -- which is the only baseline the alignment computer has; because there isn't a seperate calibration for our cars; The head tech at my dealer 'tweaks' the settings from factory and this is where he put mine -- No inner/outer wear as of yet on my new set.

great info! i know you said nothing on this set, but did you have these settings on your last set as well? if so, how did they wear?

thanks ws6

silverws6ta
02-26-10, 11:33 AM
Thanks for posting the alignement data--just so i understand, the numbers in the pic are the ACTUAL numbers your car is set at,not the Cadillac suggested numbers,right

Correct; those were the ACTUAL settings after the alignment.

great info! i know you said nothing on this set, but did you have these settings on your last set as well? if so, how did they wear?

thanks ws6

The fronts were already worn on the inside from the stock alignment -- but overrall evened out well besides the cupping that was already on the inside. (besides the rears wore in the center) --

Fronts (especially those with the Pirellis) 33-35lbs is ideal
Rears (again - especially those with Pirellis) 28-30lbs is ideal

That will keep the fronts wearing evenly, and not just on the edge, and the rears will wear evenly, and not just in the center.

cadillac94pimpin
02-26-10, 12:02 PM
I just had my algnment done at my friends Frestone store. They had just recieved a huge software update recently for there alignment machine. It now has anlignment specsfor the STS-V. It definetley varies from the standard STS specs. I will see if I can get a print out or something with what they had in there for it. I am very happy with it so far. With hankooks I just put all the way around.

BMBSALES
02-26-10, 03:09 PM
I just had my algnment done at my friends Frestone store. They had just recieved a huge software update recently for there alignment machine. It now has anlignment specsfor the STS-V. It definetley varies from the standard STS specs. I will see if I can get a print out or something with what they had in there for it. I am very happy with it so far. With hankooks I just put all the way around.

Def post up if you can, so we can see the differences if any

i was wearing inside shoulder bad, but with align it has now turned to outside shoulder, but worse on passanger side...with pilot sport a/s

silverws6ta
02-26-10, 08:28 PM
Def post up if you can, so we can see the differences if any

i was wearing inside shoulder bad, but with align it has now turned to outside shoulder, but worse on passanger side...with pilot sport a/s

If you go more than -.5 camber (as in more toward neutral 0.0) I'm sure you will get that -- although many say CASTER should not affect wear, I wouldn't advise more than .5 degree difference on the passenger side on any vehicle to compensate for road crown.

I'm not an alignment guru, but my WS6 used to eat up some tires on the front :rant2: - the factory specs were crap; and after trial and error they wear very evenly now.

BMBSALES
02-27-10, 10:15 AM
i may have to check on mine again and see where i'm at.

i mostly drive in left lane of freeway, so i'm not as big a fan of setting up for crown...

paranoid1123
01-01-11, 03:36 AM

I know this is an old post but.... Any info?

550HP STSV
01-01-11, 03:14 PM
same. i have my specs and want to compare.

cadillac94pimpin
01-03-11, 01:47 PM
My buddy just moved. I will see if the new firestone he works at has the STS-V in there alignment software.

paranoid1123
01-03-11, 03:13 PM
My buddy just moved. I will see if the new firestone he works at has the STS-V in there alignment software.

Thanks that will be great.

silverws6ta
01-03-11, 07:31 PM
Pretty sure no change on these; The specs I posted above with 28-29 rear 32-33 front tire pressure have resulted in excellent wear on my car for the past year.

It was realigned a couple weeks ago after lower control arm replacement (squeaky bushings), but other than that all is well.

jerrylsantos
01-10-11, 04:11 PM
Have we confirmed if Firestone has the right numbers for our alignment?

YoungBlood_STSV
04-28-11, 01:13 PM
Bump.

I had some pretty terrible shoulder wear (equal on the inside and outside) on Pilot Sport+ A/S's and (before learning about this forum) brought it to the dealership....they said it wasn't really out of alignment, but made it perfect for me. 3000 miles later it was still wearing horribly uneven. I thought that maybe because I was running standard tires, that by keeping them at the factory recommended psi I was running on the outside of the tires due to a weaker sidewall. I cranked up the psi to the 37-38 range to a) see if this would make a difference and b) get some extra life out of them since the center tread was almost new looking still. The wearing has definitely slowed since then but I'm going to end up needing new tires by the end of the summer.

The "new" specs from firestone were never posted here. Does anyone have access to them, or any numbers that are different than stock, other than the first ones posted back on pg.1? The stock setting seems to lean a little too heavily on the inside of the tire. Yeah, i love taking the car hard into entrance/exit ramps from time to time, but not every day and since 99% of my driving is in a straight line I'd rather have a set up optimized for straight line driving.

Just looking for more opinions on this matter since tires really aren't cheap and spending $1000 every 18,000 miles isn't going to be fun.

Silverws6ta: Are those original posted specs plus the PSI's you posted still working wonders for you?

Anyone else have a setup they think is good enough to share, and if so please let us know what tires you're running.

Thanks everyone. :thumbsup:

PGA2B
04-28-11, 01:29 PM
I use 28psi hot for rears and 32psi hot for fronts and my alignment specs I got from page one and I should get 2 years and about 25-28K out of my Hankooks. The wear is pretty even through out the tire.

550HP STSV
04-28-11, 03:16 PM
I have alignment specs for my V lowered on D3 springs with 20s. Dont know if this will help.