Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  dkozloski 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. Just arrived in this forum. I could use some assistance, and have some questions:

First, how do I distinguish a 68 from a 67 Eldorado? I read somewhere that the parking lamps were relocated to the front fendor and the hood was longer to cover the wipers. Anything else? Is there a VIN I can look at to be sure?

Second, I believe the 67 was a 429 and the 68 was a 472. There is growing interest in performance applications for the 472-500 Cadillacs, but I can find almost nothing about the 429. Would finding rebuilding/performance parts for the 429 be a nightmare?

The car itself was a beaut in it's day...light blue metallic with a dark blue vinyl roof and a bright blue leather interior. However, it's completely shot now. It has sat immobile for so long that all the tires are flat the wheels are totally corroded. Most of the body panels are perforated, and I imagine most of the rest of the car is done in. If I was going to purchase this car for the engine alone, what would be a fair price? Would it be the same for a 67 429 versus a 68 472? Is anyone else interested? I am trying to locate the owner, but even when I do, I may not be able to pry it from their hands.

Are there easier ways to get my hands on an old Caddy motor than finding a wreck and yanking the engine myself?

If someone can answer these questions for me, I'd be very grateful.

See less See more
#2 ·
The 67 has parking lights in the front bumper and the later models don't. The front side parking lights also have a vertical pattern. The 429 is fairly powerful from what I gather, but it's not the same animal as the 472. You'd end up trying to build a rather obscure engine and it would cost a lot as a result. If that's a 472, it's gonna be a power house even stock. 375hp-525ft-lb.torque. IMO the best finds are the knock on the door ones. The worst they can say is no. It's wierd, some people, esp. old farts think a car like that is worth a fortune. Others can't hand you the keys fast enough. I'd approach the guy like I was here to do him a favor and offer him $100 and maybe go to $200. I always got my eyes on peoples back yards, and in back of repair garages. Just go up and ask if they want to get rid of the car, but don't act too enthusiastic. If I told you some of the cool stuff I scored over the years you'd never believe me. Welcome to the forum, there are some good guys here that can help you.

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the helpful response.

I agree that knocking on doors is a great way to get your hands on old cars.

My knowledge is more of the muscle car line, and I haven't made any really great discoveries of any of those. I have found lots of other cars though.

I recently found a 41 Nash, but didn't make an offer (I would have been in way over my head). I also found a trio of old cars in great shape in a barn.

I will see if I can attach the scan. I cannot disclose the location, but if anyone is interested, I am willing to be the intermediary. This person has just parted with a 34 Ford coupe and a full size 40's Ford convertible.

The scans I have are too big....if anyone can tell me how to shrink the pics down to a size that fits here, I'd be happy to post them. They really are neat.

#5 ·
Man that kind of stuff sure is cool, like a forgotten tomb. GTOs and Super Bees are tough to find like that, but Caddys really aren't. I don't know if the cars jingle your change or not, but the 472/500 engines are sleeping monsters. Good luck on the Eldo, if you're anywhere near New England I can steer you towards an engine if you really want one.

#6 ·
I have to agree. I got my car by just knocking and asking if he would consider selling it. I THINK the vin on the 67 uses similar designation, but if it is a 68, the 2nd character will be an "8". (First would be a "H", the sales code for Fleetwood Eldorado)

#7 ·
Oh well

Doesn't look like I am going to get that Eldo, or it's 472. Funny, it's in a really urban area, and sits next to a shed that looks as though it belongs to an adjacent house. I went and asked at the house, and the people were really young, and said they had no idea who owned the shed or the car. And everything else around is new apartment blocks. I have left two notes, which disappeared, but that could have been the rain or high winds that we have had a lot of. I left a third note, and it stuck around a while...I have to go back and check again soon. Can't imagine why they wouldn't want to get rid of it, it's well beyond restoration. What the heck, I will just tow it away, pull the mill, and crush the rest. Just kidding, just kidding, I am as honest as they come.

#8 ·
Re: Oh well

I've been tempted by that same thought a time or two. Start hauling it away and I'll bet the owner contacts you quick. I've had a couple of times when people had cars abandoned on their property and said: If it disappears I don't know nothin'. Bye bye car. One man gathers what another man spills. You might try asking at the city hall who owns the property. Some body is paying taxes on it. It might still turn out to be up for grabs!!

#9 ·
Contacting the city. That's an excellent idea.
I will post some more picture soon. I am trying to ID this car and being a pre-50s car, I am having trouble. There are other cars around that I can identify (a Chrysler Saratoga missing it's front clip, an Olds Cutlass, and some others).
I won't put too many non-Cad pictures up, this isn't the place, but if I can get an ID on this next one I'd appreciate it.

Stay tuned.

#13 ·
Oh yes, before I was joking about towing that old Eldorado away. Now I am seriously thinking it's time. Since I saw it last, vandals have smashed the windshield, and drop kick one of the mirrors off, it's dangling there by it's adjustment cable. And the vinyl roof has been stripped off either by the elements or vandals. The only thing I wonder about is, given the condition of the car, how can I tell if the engine is seized. I doubt if the starter or any of the other ancillaries are in good enough shape to turn it over?

#14 ·
The only thing I wonder about is, given the condition of the car, how can I tell if the engine is seized. I doubt if the starter or any of the other ancillaries are in good enough shape to turn it over?
get yourself a big wrench and try to turn the crank.

also, about just towing it away, youd probably have some problems registering it and getting plates for it after that, since, at least here in the US, you need a title to get plates. maybe you could get the vin number and if you have a friend who works at someplace like an insurance company or the local police department they can check that for you to try to find the last registered owner?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.