: would you?

Skiller.
02-24-10, 08:32 AM
Have your coolant flushed by Goodyear? They will do it for $95. Is a flush better than a drain/refill?
They said they'd refill with 50/50 dex and water.

Thanks

STSS
02-24-10, 09:45 AM
I would just change it myself...... Just pull a hose, drain, refill with 50/50 (distilled water).

I stopped using dex... It's cheaper to just fill with regular and change every 1-2 years.... I would get too anxious trying to leave dex in there for 4-5 years.... not trying to start a dex debate!

Skiller.
02-24-10, 10:29 AM
Well, even if I did it myself, I would put dex in. Thing is, doing it yourself, you don't get 100% of the coolant out.

STSS
02-24-10, 11:41 AM
Correct.... but it you do it often enough, you know you always have fresh coolant in there.....

to each his own.... I guess I'm not a good person to answer this question as I would never pay anyone to change my coolant in the first place.

Skiller.
02-24-10, 12:24 PM
If it's simple enough, I guess I can do it myself, but I'm just asking if you were to have it done, would you let them do it? If not, who?

STSS
02-24-10, 12:30 PM
There are far too many goodyear shops to judge them on name alone.... That said, a coolant change is relatively simple, tho it can be screwed up.

I just went back and re-read your first post.... I would certainly not let them flush it.... either have them drain and refill, or drain and refill yourself...... DO NOT FLUSH!

Skiller.
02-24-10, 01:52 PM
I thought you just shouldn't flush the transmission?

STSS
02-24-10, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't flush anything unless it was a GM dealer.... the concern is debris from a previous flush would wind up in your car.... debris in a tranny is usually more detrimental than debris in the cooling system, so it is of higher concern.

Skiller.
02-24-10, 03:12 PM
Ok thanks for clarifying that. I should just have the dealership do it if I'm not going to do it? Do they flush it? Or just change it?

STSS
02-24-10, 03:50 PM
I would atleast check out their prices... I doubt they are too much more than $100..... if they're kinda pricey, wait and keep an eye out for a "spring tuneup sale".

I think their machine does some sort of pressure exchange/flush, but I would atleast trust the dealer to not flush with old, nasty fluid.

Skiller.
02-24-10, 05:27 PM
I see. Ok, thanks. I'll have the dealer do the coolant (unless I do it).