: 98 deville motor mounts....

02-23-10, 11:21 PM
Alright guys my motor mounts are worn and how i know this is because im getting the grumbling noise (motor hitting exhaust) now i have a few questions.. are Dea motor mounts any good? found that they cost about $50 at AZ with a limited lifetime warranty. and how many motor mounts are there i know about the two on the top of the motor which pepboys is telling me there bad when i know damn well right that they cant be bad its gotta be the ones on the bottom, so how many are on the bottom and where are they located?

02-23-10, 11:42 PM
The notorious mount is the front one. If you have torque struts, I'm surprised that your mount went.

02-24-10, 09:43 PM
I have no idea I run into every problem known to man, but i got the struts on the top and you said its the one on the bottom...how many are on the bottom? just curious haven't really looked good under there

02-24-10, 10:02 PM
The struts are on top. The mounts are on the bottom. The struts prevent the motor from rolling back under torque and tearing the front mount, a big problem on later models that did not use struts.

02-24-10, 10:16 PM
then why the hell do i have it??? lol

02-25-10, 09:03 PM
I'm going to say that your exhaust is hitting the body brace just behind the catalytic converter. That's a slip-joint exhaust connection. Raise the pipe so it's straight and put a couple of inches of weld on that joint. Also the rubber hangers tend to stretch over time- those are easy to replace.

I really don't think it's a motor mount issue at all, unless you've physically seen that it's broken. I've rarely ever seen one broken. When I got my first 97 Eldo, I looked underneath my car and that front mount wasn't even fastened down to the subframe. All the work was done by the torque struts.

02-26-10, 06:47 PM
Alright eldo thanks ill check that out the next time i get it on a lift im away right now and that thing was gettin about 32 mpg on the highway at 65 mph idk how but i love it lol

02-26-10, 08:13 PM
Never question fuel economy beyond one's expectations. LOL - just be very, very happy!

My 97 Eldo - 4.0 Aurora V8 in place of the 4.6, 35 miles to the U.S. gallon, 42 to the Canadian gallon. And still as much passing power as any other VIN 9 STS. Go figure. Just a bit slow from the get-go. The mileage is almost worth the trade off of low end torque. Honda owners eat your heart out - we'll be passing you on the highway, AND passing you at the gas station with our nice big fuel tanks..... :D

03-01-10, 06:10 PM
well guys let me tell you how dumb i feel it wasnt my motor mount 97eldo you were right it was some bracket or piece of metal that was bent it was in front of the resonator i remember one day when the noise started i went up a driveway and something banged hard as hell because my air shocks are completey trashed and it bent half way so when i was accelerating the exhaust was touching that so i bent it back into place and now everything is fine = ) :worship: