: Front Cover Gasket help

malibuandryan
02-23-10, 09:45 PM
I did end up taking the oil pan off and resealing it with the GM sealant and gasket.....now I have another concern...The front timing cover gasket is shot...Do you think I can use this GM sealant I just bought and make a gasket for the front cover?....If not my only option is to purchase from Rockauto and wait.....Nobody else around here sells this gasket........ Thanks for the help again.....Ryan

1997 Deville Concours

cl1986
02-24-10, 09:26 AM
you sure the dealer doesnt have it??

id get a new gasket, rockauto doesnt take too long to get stuff

malibuandryan
02-24-10, 12:30 PM
I spoke to soon! Oreilly has a front cover gasket......Guess I should of done a little bit more searchin.....one more question, can I add some RTV to the front cover as well or do you think the gasket will do just fine??? Thanks again Ryan

1997 Deville Concours

cl1986
02-24-10, 03:58 PM
dont add anything, make sure its a silicon gasket just like the factory one though, id still check the dealer and get a gm part.

tateos
02-24-10, 07:20 PM
I used all FelPro gaskets on my HG project - no known problems yet - they seemed just like what came from the factory, only new

97EldoCoupe
02-25-10, 08:06 AM
A bit of GM sealant around the cover seal (both sides) is not really a bad idea. Just don't go crazy with it, I've seen too many slivers of RTV in oil pick-up tube screens.

GM will have the new seal, as will Rockauto. Also it's included in the conversion gasket set.