: Detailing Products and Tips

Flash man
02-23-10, 08:25 PM
Hello All,

I have been a forum member for about two years now. I just became a supporting vendor on this forum. I would just like to let you all know that my experience is in Auto Detailing and manufacturing of Automotive detailing products. I have many years of experience in this field. If any of you need advice on wheel cleaning, paint defects, swirls, wet sanding, interior cleaning etc. Feel free to post or email me.I will be more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Joe Carollo - Flash man
Flash Auto Detail Products
Largo, Florida
www.flashwax.com

Caddy2004
03-01-10, 12:50 PM
I have a black Deville and I have a few not too deep scratches in the plastic bumper from a wood carton in my garage. These do not warrent repainting. The car is a daily driver and I want it to look good. I doubt I can not get it perfect with out professional buffing or painting. Do you know if any of these scratch repair sticks really work well? Right now I plan to wash it, rub it with 3M scratch remover then use some thined out touchup paint with that fine artists brush. Before the paint gets hard I wipe it with some OPPS very fast to level it out. While this has worked on silver cars, I'm concerned because this is a black car.
What is the best way you know to repair these myself? Your advice will be welcome.

Flash man
03-01-10, 01:36 PM
Hi, How deep are the scratches? Can you catch your fingernail in the scratch? If the scratches are deep, then you can fill the scratch with touch up paint and level it out. I am not familiar of the performance of the scratch repair sticks. I can not speak for other products. But, If the scratch is not that deep, then it can be buffed out with our Tru-Grit compound, and polished with our Polishing creme. Malco's polishing creme is a black wax that removes swirls, light scratches & oxidation. It does not leave white residue on moldings or touch up paint. It makes dark colored cars look very wet, and goes on easy and comes off easy. If you are going to do this by hand, make sure you use a terrycloth towel and not a microfiber towel. When you are finished, you can use a microfiber towel to remove the polish or wax. The reason being is that microfiber is too soft and will not work well, when trying to rub out a scratch or to remove surface contaminates. Also, better to do it by hand, then to use an orbital polishing machine. An orbital polishing machine is great to remove swirls and apply wax, but not to remove deep scratches.

Joe Flash man

Caddy2004
03-03-10, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the info. The scratches are deep enough that my fingernail will just catch on them, but not by much. One is deep enough (more like a small scrape) to really catch and will probably have to be built up with thinned paint and a paper match end. You gave some intersting advice, but it's going to be too cold here to work on it outside. Since it's not on metal there is no rust issue. It sounds like you are telling me 90% of this will polish out with the right product and technique. I'm going to try my 3M scratch treatment as soon as I can get a 50 degree day since I already have it. If it won't do it, and I suspect it won't, are the materials you mentioned above for sale? I don't live in or even near Florida. Should I use an orbital polisher, or do this by hand?

Flash man
03-03-10, 03:38 PM
Hi Caddy 2004,

I would wait until the weather is nicer. 3M makes good products. If you have it, try it. If it is the 3M professional product, it should work well. If its the 3M auto parts store product, then maybe not. I would use it by hand using a terry cloth towel. This will give you the most aggression with the product on the scratches. An orbital would not be aggressive enough.

We have a website www.flashwax.com that you can order from. We ship all over the US and Canada. If you look to the right of your screen you can click on Brown Royal wheel cleaner/Flash. That is our company. We may not be a national brand name, but I/we manufacture the best quality detailing products in the world. If you are looking for a safe wheel cleaner and you dont like to scrub wheels. Brown Royal is the one to use. Look it up on youtube.

Our Flash and Malco products are professional grade detailing products. Which means that they are easy-to-use, very effective with one application and will provide outstanding and long lasting results. You wont find this type of products in your local auto parts stores. Keep me posted, when the weather gets better.

Joe Carollo - Flash man
www.flashwax.com
727 582-9073

creeker
03-06-10, 03:51 PM
What's the best way to clean chrome wheels?, what's the best protective coating to apply after cleaning them?, I dont have a brake pad dust problem, but boy they sure are to keep clean,their only a year old,
I used to have polished alloy and they were easy to keep clean.

Flash man
03-07-10, 11:31 AM
What's the best way to clean chrome wheels?, what's the best protective coating to apply after cleaning them?, I dont have a brake pad dust problem, but boy they sure are to keep clean,their only a year old,
I used to have polished alloy and they were easy to keep clean.

Hi Creeker,

The best way to keep your chrome wheels clean is to use our Flash Liquid paste wax or Grape Gloss spray wax. Flash wax contains carnauba and teflon and will give more protection, but it has to be applied, hazed then wiped. Grape Gloss spray wax contains a polymer agent and can be sprayed and wiped clean.

Grape gloss is a spray wax. It is faster to use, can be used more frequently and can be used on the whole vehicle including glass. Both will remove water spots and surface contaminates. They will also leave a water beading shine.

The truth is that, It is hard to have a wheel wax last on a hot surface. Wheels get hot from braking etc. Waxes tend to break down with constant heat. Polymer waxes have better heat resistance than Carnauba waxes. This is a problem here in Florida. Wax protection does last a lot longer in cooler climates. Both products will give you a good barrier against brake dust and contaminates. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Thanks.

Joe Flash man

Caddy2004
03-16-10, 10:22 PM
Hi Flashman:
I finally got day warm enough to work out doors. I used the scratch remover which turned out to be Mcguires 2.0, not 3M. About 95% of the scratches came out. I used thined out touch up paint on the small scrapes then rubbed them and used scratch remover on them. The area came out so well that unless you look at it in just the right light from 2 feet or less nothing is visable. Even then not much is visable. I did like your advice about the terry cloth. It worked better than the old tee shirt I started to use.
Thanks again.
Caddy2004

Flash man
03-18-10, 09:15 PM
Hi Caddy 04,

Good job. Sometimes you really have to work on the scratches and do some creative touch up to get it right. I am glad it worked out for you. Nice weather is coming soon I hope. Take care.

Joe Carollo - Flash man
www.flashwax.com

dead civic
03-23-10, 09:13 PM
hate to be asking so many questions but you guys are very helpfull

does a polish usually follow a wax jobj, and does a polist require another type of product? makes it shine? where wax protects?

Submariner409
03-23-10, 09:44 PM
Several long steps to get to the ultimate paint finish:

1. Wash the car, using a detergent which is formulated to remove old wax. Several to choose from.
2. Clay bar the clean paint; this removes embedded foreign chips and snags in the paint/clearcoat.
3. For a finish in good to fair condition use an orbital polisher with differing pads and polishes ("swirl removers") to remove and/or tone down fine swirls and minor scratches. This one step may require 2 complete polishing trips around the entire car with two different polish grits and two different pads.
4. Wash the entire car with bodywork shampoo, using compressed air to blow dry every crack and crevice.
5. Depending on your preference (natural/carnauba wax or synthetic polymer glaze), "wax" the entire car, buffing with hand microfiber towels or orbital microfiber bonnets.

There is NO easy, quick route to a perfect paint finish. It takes WORK. A lot of work.

Flash, where are you ??? Fill in the blanks.

Skiller.
03-24-10, 12:20 AM
Car is looking great sub.

Flash man
03-24-10, 10:54 AM
Several long steps to get to the ultimate paint finish:

1. Wash the car, using a detergent which is formulated to remove old wax. Several to choose from.
2. Clay bar the clean paint; this removes embedded foreign chips and snags in the paint/clearcoat.
3. For a finish in good to fair condition use an orbital polisher with differing pads and polishes ("swirl removers") to remove and/or tone down fine swirls and minor scratches. This one step may require 2 complete polishing trips around the entire car with two different polish grits and two different pads.
4. Wash the entire car with bodywork shampoo, using compressed air to blow dry every crack and crevice.
5. Depending on your preference (natural/carnauba wax or synthetic polymer glaze), "wax" the entire car, buffing with hand microfiber towels or orbital microfiber bonnets.

There is NO easy, quick route to a perfect paint finish. It takes WORK. A lot of work.

Flash, where are you ??? Fill in the blanks.

Hi All,

This information is for restoring your vehicles finish.

1. If you like you can wash your car with a hi ph detergent.
Dish washing detergent works well.

2. If you have paint overspray, industrial fallout or contaminates, you can clay the surface. You can use Grape Gloss detail spray as a lubricant or just plain water. There is no need to clay if your finish is smooth and clear.

3. I will assume that you have the general problems with your paint. Light scratches, swirls and scratch hazing.
I cant speak for other products so I will recommend the detail products that I have been using since the mid 1980's. We also sell these products on our website.

Apply Malco Rejuvenator one step polish glaze to the surface by hand with a terry cloth applicator. For dark cars use Malco Polishing Creme. You may use an orbital, but if you have to remove scratches or oxidation an orbital just wont cut it. You will do a better job by hand application or use a rotary buffer for the experienced detailer.

Detailing Tip: If you are removing surface contaminates, scratches, oxidation, severe swirls etc. Hand application.
Do one section at a time. This way you will do an even job and it wont come out in blotchy sections. If you want to get picky you can use masking tape for large panels.

After applying Rejuvenator or Polishing creme. You can put a coat of Flash Liquid Paste wax on the vehicle. Apply with a terrycloth applicator and remove with a microfiber towel or soft cloth. You can use a toothbrush or a short hair paint style detail brush to remove wax from moldings, emblems, door jambs etc. You can apply products by hand in a back and forth motion or in a circle. I recommend back and forth near edges and moldings.

Detailing tip: When applying wax or polish, try and stay clear of moldings or emblems. This will make clean up much easier, and less time consuming. The best way to do this is to first carefully apply product to the edges of the moldings around the whole car, leaving a 2 inch perimeter around moldings and emblems. If you get product on the molding, immediately wipe clean before it dries. Then apply product to the rest of the car. This way when you first start you will be more careful and do a better job. 10 to 15 minutes into hand waxing, you may tend to get sloppy and just want to get the job done and drive your Cadillac. Thats when your moldings get full of product, and it makes a mess.

Rejuvenator is a one-step product. It contains liquid clay and a polymer wax. It is a compound and a wax in one product. It will remove scratches, moderate oxidation, swirls and water spots. It also works great on severe headlight oxidation. It is safe for clear coat, single stage paint, chrome and plastic. Most of the time you do not have to wax your car after using Rejuvenator. The polymer wax lasts a long time. Its easy to use and very effective.

Nano Polishing creme is a silicone based polish/wax that will remove scratches, swirls, surface contaminates and light oxidation. Specially formulated for dark colored cars.
Nano polishing creme will not leave product residue in moldings. Its easy to use and very effective. It can also be used in direct sunlight and will wipe off easy.

Flash Liquid Paste wax contains carnauba and dupont teflon. It is a cleaner wax and protectant. It is not as strong as Rejuvenator or Nano polishing creme. It is fast and easy to use and leaves a high gloss shine. An excellent hand wax for large vehicles. It can also be used in direct sunlight and will wipe off easy.

The difference between microfiber towels and terrycloth towels.

Microfiber- is a soft material that will not scratch surfaces, removes dust, absorbs 3 times its weight of water and works great for removing wax on dark cars and using with a detail spray. Microfiber also works great for glass cleaning. Microfiber will not work well with a polish,wax or compound to remove surface contaminates. The reason for this is the material is too soft and you will not get great results for this type of application.

Terry cloth- is an aggressive material that can scratch surfaces on dark colored vehicles. Terry cloth works great when used with a polish, compound or wax to remove surface contaminates. Terry cloth is not that great on glass, but can be used for various cleaning applications.

After you get your vehicles finish looking good. Do not wash your car with dish washing detergent or you will strip off the wax. Hand wax your car regularly( every 2-3 months) and use Grape Gloss spray wax in between waxing. The more wax you keep on your car, the less you will have to strip and clay. Wax build up is good. Its called paint protection. An invisible barrier against environmental surface contaminates. If you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me. Thank you.

Joe Flash man
www.flashwax.com
94 Deville Concours
94 Deville