: Want to learn English?

70eldo
02-23-10, 04:41 PM
Regarding some comments on typos and wrong use of english grammar and words...

on the light side

NSFW ~Rolex edit

cUEkOVdUjHc

70eldo
02-23-10, 04:42 PM
GT86iWiH2mI

Submariner409
02-23-10, 05:30 PM
Message on a friend's answering machine (Came from other sources, obviously)

"Hi ! If you speak English, please press 1. If you do not, press 2 to disconnect until you learn how."

orconn
02-23-10, 05:47 PM
Even English teachers can get it wrong. When I was preparing English-Japanese interpreters for the 1972 Winter Olympics in Sapporo, Japan I used to have my students bring in articles from the newspaper to translate for me and the class. One day one of the students brought in a article about a bear attack (a not uncommon occurence on Hokkaido) whose headline he translated "Bear Eat Workman at Power Station Number 3." I politely began to correct the students translation to the "Bear Attacked the Workman." Four or five students quickly came to the first students defense saying "No, Sansei, the bear didn't just attack the man, the bear ate the man. There wasn't much left of the workman!" As it turned out the student had made the correct translation and I was wrong .... the workman was dinner!

Submariner409
02-23-10, 06:01 PM
..............One of my daughters recently returned from K'wame, Japan where she spent 3 years teaching English to Japanese children who could not utter one word of English when they first entered the classroom. She said it was, all in all, an interesting experience.

This is Hilary - did she get into Japan or what ???

Rolex
02-23-10, 06:32 PM
GT86iWiH2mI

:histeric:

CadillacCastle
02-24-10, 12:59 AM
I found out why some people from other countries have trouble learning English. It is because they try to learm from tv. My girlfriend in Indonesia does not use bad language and is very polite. One day she told me she couldn't find some words in the dictionary that she heard on tv. She said she had looked everywhere and asked people and no one knew the meaning. I said what are the words. She said f*** y**, f*** y**. I laughed and told her that it is not polite to say that. Can you imagine if we had to learn English from tv. American English is different from British English. British use the word "learnt" where Americans usually say "learned". Learnt sounds hillbilly to me. And I can't stand it when I use a phone and I hear "press 1 for English". It is the national language. The should be a complete different number for another language. rant over.

C&C
02-24-10, 06:31 AM
"I met her on a Monday and my heart stood still
Da doo ron ron ron, da doo ron ron ron
Somebody told me that her name was Jill
Da doo ron ron ron, da doo ron ron ron"

:lol:

70eldo
02-24-10, 08:20 AM
I found out why some people from other countries have trouble learning English. It is because they try to learm from tv. My girlfriend in Indonesia does not use bad language and is very polite. One day she told me she couldn't find some words in the dictionary that she heard on tv. She said she had looked everywhere and asked people and no one knew the meaning. I said what are the words. She said f*** y**, f*** y**. I laughed and told her that it is not polite to say that. Can you imagine if we had to learn English from tv. American English is different from British English. British use the word "learnt" where Americans usually say "learned". Learnt sounds hillbilly to me. And I can't stand it when I use a phone and I hear "press 1 for English". It is the national language. The should be a complete different number for another language. rant over.

I am half indonesian :halo:

EcSTSatic
02-24-10, 12:55 PM
YouTube- Stripes - Basic English

YouTube- Stripes- Da Do Run Run