: Engine hot!!! Should I be worried????

ISHDAROCK
02-22-10, 03:54 PM
Hello all and thank you in Advance For your help Guys. I have a 2000 deville base model with 104000 miles runs like a dream. I. Purchasedthe car 8months Ago and always Read check cooant level when Car Was Turned on, when I hit info Reset It would not Come back only when engine is restarted. One day I decide to top off Coolant with 50/50 dex cool and from than on. Here and there maybe after 40 minutes of city or highway driving, engine temp goes up slowly until "engine hot-ac off" message Appears. I pull over for about 5 minutes and The temp goes back To the half Way mark this has been going on for 3 weeks now. I saw the coolant. Tank was very dirty and the water was very brown with deris in The tank, I got a coolant flush yesterday and took it out on da road and the flush improved the performance right a way. Should I worry about my gaskets if engine still overheats??? Also Recently (winter NJ) I've noticed a little bit of white smoke coming out of muffler a little more than every one elses car. Smoke smells a little gassy, and I'm only grtting 12mpg . I drive 80% city. How can I improve gas Mileage???? Thanks again guys.

Ranger
02-22-10, 04:29 PM
Make sure that the purge line is clear and flows coolant. If not, locate and clear the obstruction. If the overheating continues, get a block test kit from Napa or rent one from Autozone and test the coolant for exhaust gases.

Check the FPR for a leak. That will drop your fuel mileage and cause a rich condition.

amunderdog
03-08-10, 07:24 PM
Can not locate my answer.
So i will try here.
1995 Notrthstar engine 170,000 MI
The coolant temp according to digital Information center says: Cooling fans on at 217 off at 223
Seems a bit warm to me. I am used to 190 systems.
Is this normal?

Ranger
03-08-10, 09:52 PM
Normal. My '97 (digidash) ran a consistent 205 (Summer) - 215 (winter).