: New Mods with Automatic what do you think?

Somefun
02-21-10, 05:36 PM
Well I finally did itÖ I pick up my 2009 diamond white V this Friday! Canít wait. I was going to buy a stick but this time Iím going to go with the automatic. Iíve read a bunch of threads about the wait4me hand held tuner. I heard it really make the auto trans shift nice? What do you guyís think? Iím not a big fan of autoís so if this thing works it will be my first mod. Next what set up is better the Supercharger Upgrade Overdrive Harmonic Balancer Kit from Linginfelter with the 10% over drive pulley or go with the 3D deal? Or is it better to change out the top pulley to a 2.5Ē? Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!!!

Luna.
02-21-10, 05:59 PM
A dyno and trans tune is very, very nice to have. Highly recommended. I wouldn't do a mail-order tune though. Have your car in front of the tuner; all cars are different.

Personally, I wouldn't change the upper pulley. Will you suffer from belt-slip? Maybe not, but it's clearly higher risk, especially as the belt ages, to say nothing about it being much more challenging to install/remove than the crank pulley.

If you do change the pulley, headers have yielded some good results for people and I wouldn't ignore a CAI either.

That should get you started. :)

Luna.
02-21-10, 06:00 PM

Somefun
02-21-10, 06:16 PM
A dyno and trans tune is very, very nice to have. Highly recommended. I wouldn't do a mail-order tune though. Have your car in front of the tuner; all cars are different.

Personally, I wouldn't change the upper pulley. Will you suffer from belt-slip? Maybe not, but it's clearly higher risk, especially as the belt ages, to say nothing about it being much more challenging to install/remove than the crank pulley.

If you do change the pulley, headers have yielded some good results for people and I wouldn't ignore a CAI either.

Thanks Luna!! Anyone know a good tuner that can do the motor and trans in or near CT?

thebigjimsho
02-21-10, 06:17 PM

thebigjimsho
02-21-10, 06:18 PM
Thanks Luna!! Anyone know a good tuner that can do the motor and trans in or near CT?
I'm in MA and I'll be taking mah V down to Behe in Maryland...

Somefun
02-21-10, 06:24 PM
I'm in MA and I'll be taking mah V down to Behe in Maryland...

Sorry this is new to me... Who is Behe?

cbloveday
02-21-10, 08:26 PM
I've got both. I started with Lingenfelter SC upgrade package. Jesse of wait4meperformance did the bulk of my build. While I really liked the SC upgrade, it is permanent and if you ever want to return your car to stock, well you get the picture. That being said, I believe the gains are roughly the same with either the SC pulley, ported snout and and airbox mod or the lower pulley, tune and CAI. The lower pulley is easily swapped back to stock in 10 minutes. There is no question in my mind that Jesse of wai4meperformance offers A GREAT TUNE AT A GREAT PRICE.

jwa999
02-21-10, 09:07 PM
Start by driving the car and enjoy it! Out of the box the car runs very well. If the car is new, break it in. The tranny needs a little time to get used to u. I have the same car, a white diamond automatic with recaros. I run the w4m mild tune. All I added recently was a K&N filter, took the brake duct and removed the intake lip. Get used to the car. It's a monster! Teek me a while to get used to the recaros. But now, after 12000 miles, 2nd set of tires, new tranny after 6k, my car still surprises me with how incredibly stable and fast it is. I'm currently struggling with braking in new hankooks on my 996tt and it's a pure delight getting in the V and running down the road at 160mph and being able to turn the steering wheel to avoid any obstacle at that speed.

musclesbmf
02-22-10, 08:30 AM
I have the auto, and for me, even with the tune, I don't like it. Wish I had bought a manual. Will do so next time.
Mark

CTSV4now
02-22-10, 10:17 AM
Start by driving the car and enjoy it! Out of the box the car runs very well. If the car is new, break it in. The tranny needs a little time to get used to u. I have the same car, a white diamond automatic with recaros. I run the w4m mild tune. All I added recently was a K&N filter, took the brake duct and removed the intake lip. Get used to the car. It's a monster! Teek me a while to get used to the recaros. But now, after 12000 miles, 2nd set of tires, new tranny after 6k, my car still surprises me with how incredibly stable and fast it is. I'm currently struggling with braking in new hankooks on my 996tt and it's a pure delight getting in the V and running down the road at 160mph and being able to turn the steering wheel to avoid any obstacle at that speed.

Why did you need a new tranny so soon? Was this before or after the W4M tune?

jwa999
02-22-10, 10:53 AM
Why did you need a new tranny so soon? Was this before or after the W4M tune?

Seem to have been a random event. 5th gear completely locked up. Just started it up, going through a corner in front of my office, next thing the car starts slowing down fast. Clutches burned. They replaced with new tranny.

Automatic was compromise to my wife. It has the occasional hiccup, I can deal with it, but will never buy again.

Had the wfm tune in it at the time, don't think it was the cause. Now running the non-max tune, it seems to shift smoother overall. The replacement tranny did feel different, more responsive without any tune. I feel the car does start to get better over time even without any tune.

IPS Brandon
02-22-10, 11:37 AM

I agree 100% with Luna. Please do your-self a favor and get a dyno tune, from a professional, I am certain there is someone in your region.

The upper pulley does seem to have some belt slip repercussions, which can be avoided with the lower pulley set ups. Lower pulley set ups are nice and cost effective for the benefits gained. We have a dampner and out ring setup package that is very reasonable, and will give you several different boost targets. Here is a shot of this combination.
http://www.ipsmotorsports.net/pictures/Brandon%20Photos/ICPCTS-V-3.jpg
More info on this package here on our web site http://www.ipsmotorsports.net/product_info.php?cPath=3543_3561_3582_3929&products_id=4206

Headers, such as Kooks, are then a great next step increasing the efficiency of your air pump (engine). Kooks look and sound amazing as well, here is a shot from the underside
http://www.ipsmotorsports.net/pictures/Brandon%20Photos/ctsv123.jpg
More info can be found here on our webpage http://www.ipsmotorsports.net/product_info.php?cPath=3543_3561_3582_3761_3762&products_id=4245

Also look into a 160 thermostat, and a Cold Air Intake, we are currently finishing some cad analysis and hope to have our unit out soon.

Good luck with your new car, and congratulations. If you have any further questions please let us know.

Regards
Brandon

thebigjimsho
02-22-10, 06:22 PM
Sorry this is new to me... Who is Behe?
http://www.beheperformance.com/

Dr. Design
02-24-10, 03:28 PM
There seems to already be some really good advice to get you started, so I wont labor on any of that. The only thing I would like to point out is that if you go with a upper pulley you will have to make a permanent modification to the vehicle. If you go with the lower pulley, you can return it back to stock without any finger prints.

Here is our pulley:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/09CTSV_Pulley_Intro_V2.jpg

We have a few different boost options for you to chose from.

Let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Well I finally did itÖ I pick up my 2009 diamond white V this Friday! Canít wait. I was going to buy a stick but this time Iím going to go with the automatic. Iíve read a bunch of threads about the wait4me hand held tuner. I heard it really make the auto trans shift nice? What do you guyís think? Iím not a big fan of autoís so if this thing works it will be my first mod. Next what set up is better the Supercharger Upgrade Overdrive Harmonic Balancer Kit from Linginfelter with the 10% over drive pulley or go with the 3D deal? Or is it better to change out the top pulley to a 2.5Ē? Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!!!

Somefun
02-24-10, 04:28 PM
There seems to already be some really good advice to get you started, so I wont labor on any of that. The only thing I would like to point out is that if you go with a upper pulley you will have to make a permanent modification to the vehicle. If you go with the lower pulley, you can return it back to stock without any finger prints.

Here is our pulley:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/09CTSV_Pulley_Intro_V2.jpg

We have a few different boost options for you to chose from.

Let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

That is some very nice stuff! What can you expect for gains going with the lower pully and a cold air intake kit and mild tune? With the more boost is a larger heat exchanger needed?

Tony407
02-25-10, 03:20 AM
Many of us have Jesse's Wait4Me tune and are very happy with the results (myself included.) I have the max performance tune (you can choose which one you want via the handheld scanner that you get) and absolutely love it. Like others here, I thought the performance of the auto tranny was abysmal when I first got the car. The tune makes a HUGE difference.

Tony

Somefun
02-25-10, 07:14 AM
I'm going with the hand held, lower pully and cold air kit right off the git go. I can't help my self!! I also want to order the DVD wire harness. That sounds like a must also....Does anyone have that? If so how do you like it? is there any issues?:bigroll:

cbloveday
02-25-10, 09:20 AM
Many of us have Jesse's Wait4Me tune and are very happy with the results (myself included.) I have the max performance tune (you can choose which one you want via the handheld scanner that you get) and absolutely love it. Like others here, I thought the performance of the auto tranny was abysmal when I first got the car. The tune makes a HUGE difference.

Tony

Another feature that I enjoy about the handheld is it has the feature which allows you to view DTC CODES, give descriptions, and clear them.

Somefun
02-26-10, 09:37 AM
If it ever stops freaking snowing Iíll be picking up my new V (automatic) but now it looks like snow till late Saturday. So I guess Iíll have to wait till Monday! Anyway I have a few questions. I want to go with Jessís hand held programmer, lower pully and cold air kit. Has anyone done these mods? And with the extra 4lbs of boost do you need a bigger or external intercooler? I also want to order the DVD wire harness does anyone have that? If so how do you like it? is there any issues?

cbloveday
02-26-10, 11:58 AM
I have the above and then some, not sure about the bigger intercooler. A larger heat exchanger is recommended and always helpful. Jess has one for $400.00 and keeps the temps down for more boost. I would add that to your list to get the most out of your CAI, Handheld, and pulley. Perhaps Jess will comment further on the necessity.