: 99 4.6L n* Conversion Gasket Set

N*Fiero
02-20-10, 02:24 PM
Can someone tell me why the 99 Conversion Gasket Set is different from other years? Does it have any different gaskets or seals or is it the rear main seal that is different. Will a '00 gasket set work? Thanks

97EldoCoupe
02-20-10, 05:03 PM
The 2000+ front crankshaft seal is larger in diameter than the 93-99. That's the only difference. Put the wrong seal in, you'll have oil leaks.

N*Fiero
02-20-10, 11:05 PM
Thanks 97EldoCoupe. You da man. I getting ready to glue my 99 back together. I'm puting it in a Lambo Kitcar. I appreciate the help I have received on this forum. Thanks guys. Let me see, where did I put those head studs, piston rings, valve seals, timing chain tensioners??????

KHE
04-07-10, 01:23 PM
Does the Felpro conversion gasket kit include the oil filter adapter orings and the o-ring that seals the dipstick tube to the crankcase?

It looks like there is also a water pump cover seal and water pump o-ring also. The picture of the other gaskets are self explanitory.

Thanks! I'd like to buy the Felpro kit and need to know if I need to buy the other o-rings from the dealer or if they're included.

tateos
04-07-10, 01:29 PM
Everything you asked about is included - the 2 Felpro kits combined contain everything that is used on the engine, and I mean EVERYTHING! You will even have stuff left over you won't need - for example injector o-rings - for both ends of the injector. You will get some things you don't know were they even go.

Submariner409
04-07-10, 01:43 PM
You mean stuff like the heater hose quick-connect rings for the fitting on the back of the throttlebody ?

tateos
04-07-10, 02:23 PM
You mean stuff like the heater hose quick-connect rings for the fitting on the back of the throttlebody ?

Well, as you may remember, my HG project was on an old school '97 model engine, Sub, so I didn't have that connection, but to answer your question, if it's a gasket, o-ring, or the like, I would say: probably.

I may also recall that I changed ALL the coolant hoses on the 2000 DTS recently, but I don't remember coming across anything like that on the newer style engine either.

Submariner409
04-07-10, 02:54 PM
This fitting - couple of others have had a leak here due to a bad seal ring. A new one comes in the FelPro kit. Probably for 2001+ Seville.

#2 has a seal ring that slips over the pipe and a nylon spring lock holds the assembly together. The same idea as the oil cooler quick connects at the adapter.

tateos
04-07-10, 03:13 PM
OK - thanks Sub - yeah, that is like the oil and trans - I think it would include that

KHE
04-07-10, 05:00 PM
Everything you asked about is included - the 2 Felpro kits combined contain everything that is used on the engine, and I mean EVERYTHING! You will even have stuff left over you won't need - for example injector o-rings - for both ends of the injector. You will get some things you don't know were they even go.

Thanks. Is the Felpro rear main seal the newer "cartridge" type that requires the special tool J-45930 and the sealant applicator tools?

I can get the case halves torqued within the 20 minute allotted timeframe but what about the rear main seal? There will be some sealer that oozes out of the case half split line into the rear main seal area. Does the rear main seal need to be sealed and installed within the 20 minute timeframe? Or can the case halves be assembled and then seal & install the rear main say after the 20 minute timeframe and not have any leaks?

If all the sealer needs to be applied at once, that is a heck of a lot of work to do in 20 minutes...

tateos
04-07-10, 06:26 PM
My half case seal never leaked, so I made the executive decision not to mess with that when I did my HG job. I had the lip type seal as OE in my engine - it was leaking pretty badly - my gasket set came with the new design 2 piece "cartridge" that required the special tool, which I bought direct from SPX. I didn't apply any additional sealant. I have a minor leak in the rear portion of the engine, but I think it is coming from the oil pan gasket are. I used the Fel-Pro oil pan gasket/seal - should have used the GM RTV instead

KHE
04-07-10, 08:24 PM
My half case seal never leaked, so I made the executive decision not to mess with that when I did my HG job. I had the lip type seal as OE in my engine - it was leaking pretty badly - my gasket set came with the new design 2 piece "cartridge" that required the special tool, which I bought direct from SPX. I didn't apply any additional sealant. I have a minor leak in the rear portion of the engine, but I think it is coming from the oil pan gasket are. I used the Fel-Pro oil pan gasket/seal - should have used the GM RTV instead

If I understand correctly, you used the Felpro rear main seal and it was the cartridge style correct?

The case half on the engine I bought was seeping and since I had to have the cylinders honed to remove the glaze from the cylinders, I needed to completely disassemble the engine.

I think Northstar Performance uses the Felpro oil pan gasket with the GM RTV along the outside of the gasket.

tateos
04-07-10, 08:51 PM
What glaze? Never heard of doing that on these engines. Are you replacing the pistons/rings?

KHE
04-08-10, 07:48 AM
What glaze? Never heard of doing that on these engines. Are you replacing the pistons/rings?

This engine was from a junkyard and there was rust in a couple of the cylinders. Also, the cross hatching in the 1-3-5-7 bank was far lighter than the 2-4-6-8 bank. I had the cylinders honed to the factory spec. and am installing new rings, bearings, seals, etc.

Was the replacement rear main seal you used a Felpro seal? And was it the cartridge type seal?

tateos
04-08-10, 02:23 PM
This engine was from a junkyard and there was rust in a couple of the cylinders. Also, the cross hatching in the 1-3-5-7 bank was far lighter than the 2-4-6-8 bank. I had the cylinders honed to the factory spec. and am installing new rings, bearings, seals, etc.

Was the replacement rear main seal you used a Felpro seal? And was it the cartridge type seal?

OK thanks - that's a big project - not just your run of the mill HG job. Yes FelPro cartridge... 2 piece... 2nd design, I think it's called. Piece of cake to install with the proper tool - probably impossible without it. Seems to work well - my flywheel/ring gear is rusty in spots with no paint on them - no evidence of oil dripping or spraying onto the flywheel.