: 2007 STS-V Electrical Problem

Boostinger
02-20-10, 09:37 AM
I walked out to my 2007 V after work and pushed the remote start. Lights flashed as normal and the engine started but only for about a second, then shut off. Now I have NO electrical power what so ever. No lights, no horn, no power door locks, nothing. Any ideas ?

jedhead
02-20-10, 05:07 PM
Bad cell in the battery? I would check the battery first.

Bob

jedhead
02-20-10, 05:08 PM
Bad cell in the battery? I would check the battery first.

Bob

Boostinger
02-21-10, 12:15 AM
Thanks Bob, I ended up leaving the car at work last night, when I went out today I expected it to still be dead. However the remote worked fine and it started up just fine, with no problems since. I talked to several Cadillac service centers and no one had ever heard of this problem. ??????

jedhead
02-21-10, 12:01 PM
Batteries loose some power with temperature. When it worked was is much warmer?

Bob

Boostinger
02-21-10, 01:50 PM
The outside temperature was the same about 32F. When it started the next day, it cranked very strong. Lights were bright as usual prior to start. The night before, when there was no power, it almost acted as though a self re-setting circuit breaker had blown and reset after it cooled down. I don't know if there is such a CB in the electrical system, but it seems like after sitting overnight it reset, and everything was fine. I just don't want this to happen again in a less convenient place.

Bee iLL
02-21-10, 03:19 PM
Hopefully you have checked over the battery and cables, but in case you didn't I'll state the obvious... Did you check to make sure the battery bolt's are not loose? Also, not sure if you have installed a different battery or if you bought your car used, but I remember a member having electrical issues because the wrong size battery bolt was installed by roadside assistance when he switched out his battery and couldn't get it to tighten down with the OEM bolt. Dealership installed the correct bolt and corrected his problems of the car loosing all power sporadically

Boostinger
02-21-10, 11:21 PM
The battery cables are both tight and clean. I also traced the battery leads to respective connectors and all are tight and clean. Ground straps are secure as well. The battery is the original, but tests good. I'm not sure where to go next. I don't think the service center can do much without a hard failure.

BMBSALES
02-27-10, 10:24 AM
mine did exactly the same thing ONE day. had to jump it, started right up, load tested battery and it was fine, checked cables, lost sleep over it, and replaced it with redtop. but i truly don't think it was the battery.

bmb

Boostinger
02-27-10, 01:13 PM
I drove it a few times this week and have not had it happen again. I still can't find a service tech that has ever heard of this happening before. It would be nice to be able to talk to a Cadillac engineer that understands the electrical system on the STS.