: W4M Handheld help: Error 1023

neuronbob
02-20-10, 08:17 AM
I just got the handheld yesterday and tried to upload a tune. There are supposed to be three options for tunes once you select "program vehicle" -> "custom tune". However, when I do so, I don't get any options, just a message asking me to acknowledge that these are performance tunes. When I press "select" to acknowledge, I get an error 1023, which on the SCT site means "no tunes loaded".

I know Jess is really busy, so I thought I'd throw the question to other handheld owners on the forum--am I doing something wrong in the install? I tried searching, but the search engine throws out a bunch of threads not relevant, and a bunch of threads on error 1017, which is different.

Thanks! Just hoping for a simple answer before calling Jess.

wait4me
02-20-10, 09:49 AM
You have to "read stock tune" then email me that file with the vin number and request the tunes. Then i set them up and email them back to you. It is the only way to make them hidden from everything. I have to start with your tune to get all the secret stuff.

neuronbob
02-20-10, 10:09 AM
Thanks, Jesse, will do. Instructions on doing that in the kit are very clear, will do later this AM. :thumbsup:

cbloveday
02-20-10, 11:39 AM
anonfrank, I told you in another thread where you menioned you got the handheld. Maybe you didn't see it.
Regardless, if you need help, pm me with your number and I will call you to help you through it.

neuronbob
02-20-10, 04:18 PM
I missed your post, sorry! I appreciate the offer of help. Waiting for the 3-year old to take a nap so I can do this... :)

neuronbob
02-20-10, 11:22 PM
Stock tune sent.

A note to Mac users: You either need a real PC or need to boot your Intel-based Mac in Boot Camp mode (making it a real PC). The handheld will NOT, repeat, NOT work with a virtual PC such as with Parallels. I spent the last two hours trying to figure this out. First time I've had to use Boot Camp in about three years. Once booted, though, the SCT device was immediately recognized and the tune recognized with only a minor hitch--a random error at the end says that a valid "flash file" was not found....but all three files noted in the SCT instructions were on the desktop, so *shrug* dunno what happened there.

It took three tries to get the handheld to upload my stock tune. The first two times, I got a screen asking me to identify what ECM I wanted to upload...had a long list of multiple types of ECMs. I aborted to do some research. The third time, I got no such screen, just went direct to upload, so all that research went unused. The handheld is definitely a little quirky but workable. I hope I can make a thorough step-by-step tutorial to complement Cad V's thread from 3/09 on installation.

v4meinsandiego
02-21-10, 12:16 AM
You have to "read stock tune" then email me that file with the vin number and request the tunes. Then i set them up and email them back to you. It is the only way to make them hidden from everything. I have to start with your tune to get all the secret stuff.

Jess, I sent you my VIN ahead of time with my requested tunes and you sent it to me with 3 tunes preloaded. Are you saying mine will not be secret if I revert back to stock mode? My preloaded tune works fine now but if I revert back I want to be sure I am not missing something. Please clarify...

GMX322V S/C
02-21-10, 02:23 AM
It took three tries to get the handheld to upload my stock tune. The first two times, I got a screen asking me to identify what ECM I wanted to upload...had a long list of multiple types of ECMs. I aborted to do some research. The third time, I got no such screen, just went direct to upload, so all that research went unused. The handheld is definitely a little quirky but workable. I hope I can make a thorough step-by-step tutorial to complement Cad V's thread from 3/09 on installation.Did you remove the OnStar fuse?

richeic77
02-21-10, 07:03 AM
Oh. More information on this OnStar fuse needing to be pulled.

I went thru this issue myself recently as the instruction weren't in the box. Jesse got me on track for uploading and E-mailing him the stock tune. Should have the tunes Monday or Tuesday.

neuronbob
02-21-10, 08:45 AM
I did not have to pull any fuses to upload the stock tune. I was momentarily confused by the request for type of ECM. given that the handheld was eventually able to unlock both the ECM and TCM without torching my car, I suppose it doesn't matter but if I see that screen again, I will know that we have an E67 ECM....that was the result of searching this site and ls1tech.

cbloveday
02-21-10, 08:53 AM
I do not recall having those steps when uploading my stock tune. Never heard of pulling onstar fuse either.

neuronbob
02-21-10, 03:44 PM
^^^^
Some had to pull the OnStar fuse in the past to download the new tunes from the handheld to the ECM.

Can't wait to test the tunes out! :D

GMX322V S/C
02-21-10, 10:38 PM
Oh. More information on this OnStar fuse needing to be pulled.

I went thru this issue myself recently as the instruction weren't in the box. Jesse got me on track for uploading and E-mailing him the stock tune. Should have the tunes Monday or Tuesday.There's a communications bus; my guess is there's an occasional OnStar function (like polling the car's vitals) that can interrupt the microcontroller programming process by seizing the bus at an inopportune time.

The last time I put my stock tune back in, I forgot to pull the fuse, but it went back in okay; however, when I went to reinstall the max performance tune, it failed twice in a row; I pulled the fuse and it went right back in.

cbloveday
02-21-10, 11:04 PM
Good to know. Located the onstar fuse in the rear fuse box. I will pull it when installing tunes in the future.

Somefun
02-22-10, 06:31 AM
Guy's how does it shift with the hand heald?? That would be my main reason for getting the unit. When it's in manual mode does it bang off fast shits up and down? I haven't got my V yet but one question when you down shift in manual mode does it match the revs when down shifting?

neuronbob
02-22-10, 10:56 AM
We'll see once I get the tunes.

If you search, you'll find that the description provided most frequently is "responsive". What I observe, stock, in D mode is that when you are driving at a steady pace, then press the throttle to command acceleration, there is a noticeable delay and you will hear the engine lug, then you get the expected downshift. This also happens at the bottom of a hill when you command acceleration. The throttle is much more responsive in the Sport mode, which is what I use on good weather days when the roads are not wet or slippery. The difference the tune makes is that the shifts are triggered faster, making the throttle seem more responsive. Please correct me if I'm wrong, guys! :)

Whether in D or S mode, if you accelerate quickly, then let off the gas, the gear you are in is held as the computer anticipates assertive driving, as if on a track. I thought this was strange behavior for freeway driving but once it was explained that this is a normal behavior of the transmission, it made sense. I'll let someone more experienced than me answer your question about rev matching in the automatic, and about shifting using the paddles. The paddles are faster than anything I've experienced, but again, someone more experienced in driving sport sedans of various types with paddles would give you a less lame answer than me.

Somefun
02-22-10, 11:03 AM
We'll see once I get the tunes.

If you search, you'll find that the description provided most frequently is "responsive". What I observe, stock, in D mode is that when you are driving at a steady pace, then press the throttle to command acceleration, there is a noticeable delay and you will hear the engine lug, then you get the expected downshift. This also happens at the bottom of a hill when you command acceleration. The throttle is much more responsive in the Sport mode, which is what I use on good weather days when the roads are not wet or slippery. The difference the tune makes is that the shifts are triggered faster, making the throttle seem more responsive. Please correct me if I'm wrong, guys! :)

Whether in D or S mode, if you accelerate quickly, then let off the gas, the gear you are in is held as the computer anticipates assertive driving, as if on a track. I thought this was strange behavior for freeway driving but once it was explained that this is a normal behavior of the transmission, it made sense. I'll let someone more experienced than me answer your question about rev matching in the automatic, and about shifting using the paddles. The paddles are faster than anything I've experienced, but again, someone more experienced in driving sport sedans of various types with paddles would give you a less lame answer than me.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to go with the hand held for sure. I was never a big fan of automatic's but this time around I'm going to try one and if this helps it then in my book its a must have.....

GMX322V S/C
02-23-10, 03:17 AM
Guy's how does it shift with the hand heald?? That would be my main reason for getting the unit. When it's in manual mode does it bang off fast shits up and down? I haven't got my V yet but one question when you down shift in manual mode does it match the revs when down shifting?The shifts are firmer, but don't expect tire-chirps on every shift--the thing would grenade in short order if that were the case with this much power on tap. I found response to upshift commands to continue to be delayed (as it was stock), but response to downshift commands near instantaneous. Downshifts are rev-matched stock and I got them more readily in full auto mode with the tune installed.

richeic77
02-23-10, 07:33 AM
Yeah. There's no reason to take all the torque management out. You should leave some in unless the tranny is built tough. From what I've seen, Jesse does a good job with the programming on the Trans. Paddle shift reaction is suppose to be UBER quick compared to stock. And from what's been said, there's some TQ management left in there. Like a good tuner knows to do.