QRYwMrsaLxs edit ~ Rolex

:patriot:

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
02-20-10, 11:15 AM
1 mile AND through a brick wall!!!

That's some talent!

93DevilleUSMC
02-20-10, 11:20 AM
I love how the wall behind the insurgent just got spattered in red when the round hit.

thebigjimsho
02-20-10, 10:57 PM
History Channel, FTW....

93DevilleUSMC
02-21-10, 12:44 AM
Roufoss rounds, FTMFW.

thebigjimsho
02-21-10, 12:51 AM
Roufoss rounds, FTMFW.
Yeah, that too...

Rolex
02-21-10, 10:30 AM
That's an awesome story. Put the right rifle and a shooter in a fight and you can totally dominate. :salute:

Florian
02-22-10, 11:21 AM
not the longest kill shot by an armed forces sniper unit. I think 1.6 miles is longest kill.

F

Stingroo
02-22-10, 12:53 PM
That's insanity.

orconn
02-22-10, 01:05 PM
I don't know if the Iraqi or the Afgani terrorist have the same sniper capability, but during the Cold War period both sides were equal as far as sniper capability went. I hope the allied forces are alone in this level of capability.

dkozloski
02-22-10, 01:11 PM
I read somewhere that Barrett sold at least 50ea. .50cal. sniper rifles to Middle Eastern customers.

Spyder
02-25-10, 10:10 AM
The Barret is crap for real accuracy anyway. The trigger on the M82 is GARBAGE. And yea, I've shot one myself many times so its not just what I've read. :D

Didn't they use a MacMillan for that shot?

RightTurn
02-25-10, 03:27 PM
not the longest kill shot by an armed forces sniper unit. I think 1.6 miles is longest kill.

F

Buzzkill. :alchi:

CIWS
02-25-10, 08:15 PM
Carlos Hathcock (USMC) (http://oldbluejacket.com/CarlosHathcock.htm) made a 2500 yrd shot in Vietnam. But he didn't have a purpose built .50 cal sniper rifle. He took the scope off of his .308 sniper rifle and mounted it on a Browning M2 .50 cal machine gun sitting on the side of a mountain. Shot the bad guy and hit him in the base of the chin from 2500 yrds. He held the record for the longest confirmed kill for several decades. I think currently it belongs to a Canadian who served in Afghanistan.

http://www.bobtuley.com/50bmg914.jpg

Still that was a good story, thanks for posting RT. :)

orconn
02-25-10, 09:09 PM
I don't disbelieve the story of Hathcock USMC (I think I have heard of this feat before). However, I wonder how they verified the kill, i.e. moving through that distance of "no man's land" in Vietnam would very likely have gotten you wounded if not killed. I do know the arty guys were very effective at locating the source of incoming rockets and quickly counter fired often with good results. But more often the results could not be verified.

Submariner409
02-25-10, 10:28 PM
:sneaky: Rifle bullets and scopes.............those guys are the cat's meow.

Now try it with an 83,000# bird shot from 145 feet underwater from 4,700 miles out. Same accuracy. :lildevil:

Spyder, Didn't a sniper in the War Between The States nail a Union Colonel, while he was shaving, from 1,500 yards ? Not bad for muzzleloader black powder.

edit: Don't get me wrong - I'm not making light of human death. My position is that, if you go into a conflict or operation, you do it with the best human and mechanical tools available - "Yea, Though I walk in shadow in the Valley of Death I shall fear no Evil. For I am the meanest Son of a Bitch in the Valley".

fierodough
02-26-10, 07:47 AM
He held the record for the longest confirmed kill for several decades. I think currently it belongs to a Canadian who served in Afghanistan.

Still that was a good story, thanks for posting RT. :)

"World longest distance kill - 2,430 meters (1.5 miles)". Stupid Beaver. April 2007. Archived from the original on 2010-02-15. http://web.archive.org/web/20070520080829/stupidbeaver.com/world-longest-distance-kill-2430-metres15-miles/. Retrieved 2008-03-24. "Canadian snipers in Afghanistan after September 11th made the longest recorded kills in history with this weapon. It must also be mentioned that just prior to Cpl. Rob Furlong longest recorded sniper kill M. Cpl. Arron Perry recorded the second longest recorded sniper kill in history from 2,310 meters (2.31km/1.44 miles) with a McMillan Tac-50 which in itself is remarkable considering that both snipers belonged to the same Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) sniper cell."

Canada FTMFW! :thumbsup:

CIWS
02-26-10, 08:30 AM
Canadian snipers in Afghanistan after September 11th made the longest recorded kills in history with this weapon.

Thanks for the added info. I remember it was done by someone in the Canadian armed forces who served in Afghanistan. But again those shots were made with purpose built sniper weapons. Hathcock did it with and when no one else was thinking in that frame of mind. If you want to read some good stories about his exploits while serving in Vietnam this is the book.

Marine Sniper : 93 Confirmed Kills

Edit- I was fortunate enough to get a limited edition print signed by him before his death that hangs on the wall in my living room.

http://eyesofthewild.stores.yahoo.net/canhaiimiwo.html

dkozloski
02-26-10, 07:08 PM
The idea of a .50 BMG sniper rifle originated with some Army Armorers during the Korean War. They also started with a .50 BMG with a Unertl scope but also had a made from scratch in the field bolt action rifle. They didn't have the benefit of more modern recoil buffer technology and it really bounced them around but they made some long distance kills as well. I remember reading about their efforts about fifty years ago in the American Rifleman magazine in an article that included pictures.

Spyder
02-27-10, 11:46 AM
:sneaky: Rifle bullets and scopes.............those guys are the cat's meow.

Now try it with an 83,000# bird shot from 145 feet underwater from 4,700 miles out. Same accuracy. :lildevil:

Spyder, Didn't a sniper in the War Between The States nail a Union Colonel, while he was shaving, from 1,500 yards ? Not bad for muzzleloader black powder.

The idea of a .50 BMG sniper rifle originated with some Army Armorers during the Korean War. They also started with a .50 BMG with a Unertl scope but also had a made from scratch in the field bolt action rifle. They didn't have the benefit of more modern recoil buffer technology and it really bounced them around but they made some long distance kills as well. I remember reading about their efforts about fifty years ago in the American Rifleman magazine in an article that included pictures.

409, whatever. :D No using computers and radar. That's cheating! I've heard of the shaving shot too...anything's possible. I know that 45-70's can hit buffalo irons at a thousand all day long. Gotta aim at the moon, but it can be done. Probably pure luck to hit a guy that's shaving at 1500 though, but I'd sure as heck take credit for it if I did it!

...and yea, bullet, powder and rifle technology has come a LONG long long LOOOOONNNNGGGggggg way since those days. The guys that took these shots 30, 40, 50 years ago were pretty f'ing amazing.

dkozloski
02-27-10, 04:34 PM
409, whatever. :D No using computers and radar. That's cheating! I've heard of the shaving shot too...anything's possible. I know that 45-70's can hit buffalo irons at a thousand all day long. Gotta aim at the moon, but it can be done. Probably pure luck to hit a guy that's shaving at 1500 though, but I'd sure as heck take credit for it if I did it!

...and yea, bullet, powder and rifle technology has come a LONG long long LOOOOONNNNGGGggggg way since those days. The guys that took these shots 30, 40, 50 years ago were pretty f'ing amazing.
Not so much. There were thousand yard rifle matches over a hundred years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimbledon_Cup

Spyder
03-01-10, 12:33 AM
Yea, but I think those were the big giant buffalo sized steels...? Damnitt, now I'm gonna have to do research!

CIWS
05-07-10, 12:20 PM
The long distance kill shot "trophy" now belongs to the British, and it did it without using a .50 cal.

"A British sniper set a world sharpshooting record by taking out two Taliban soldiers in Afghanistan from more than a mile and a half away -- a distance so great, experts say the terrorists wouldn't have even heard the shots.

Craig Harrison killed the two insurgents from an astounding distance of 8,120 feet -- or 1.54 miles -- in Helmand Province last November firing an Accuracy International L11583 long-range rifle.

"The first round hit a machine-gunner in the stomach and killed him outright," said Harrison, a corporal of horse in the British Army's Household Cavalry, the equivalent of a sergeant in the American military.

"The second insurgent grabbed the weapon and turned as my second shot hit him in the side. He went down, too," Harrison told the Sunday Times of London.

The shots -- measured via GPS -- surpassed the previous record held by Canadian Army Cpl. Rob Furlong, who killed an al Qaeda gunman from 7,972 feet in 2002.
Harrison's shots were roughly equal to the distance between the Statue of Liberty and Battery Park.

Experts called Harrison's sharp shooting as perfect as it gets.

"When you are shooting that far, if you miss by a hair, you miss by a mile," said John Plaster, a retired US Army sharp-shooting instructor and author of "The Ultimate Sniper." "That is about as precise as any marksmen on the planet could shoot."

He said Harrison's targets likely never knew what was coming.

"At a distance like that they cannot even see anyone and they would not even hear the muzzle report," Plaster said.

Harrison, who fired the bullets while his colleagues were under fire, said perfect weather helped him nail the perfect shot.

"[There was] no wind, mild weather, clear visibility," he said.

Harrison learned of his record nine days ago, when he returned to England. In the weeks after his record shot, he suffered a minor gunshot wound and broke his arms when his vehicle hit a roadside bomb."

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2010/05/02/news/photos_stories/cropped/018_harrison--300x300.jpg

dkozloski
05-07-10, 12:35 PM
Yea, but I think those were the big giant buffalo sized steels...? Damnitt, now I'm gonna have to do research!
.30-06 model 1903 Springfield with star gauged barrels. Before that, .30-40 Krag Jorgenson.

itschrome
05-07-10, 01:29 PM
So incase any one else is wondering (as i did)

The L115A3 rifle is the UK Military designation of an Accuracy International AW .338 Lapua Magnum rifle of a certain configuration

I knew the .338 Lapua was good for range, but that kind of range is amazing! though I question if instant death from a gut shot at that range. But hell I've not shot anything at that range, so what the hell do I know.

edit:

Am I the only one to suffer from counter strike flash backs as soon as I read "Accuracy International". I mean honestly as good as a shot this guy is, he's a camping lamer no doubt :D

Kev
05-07-10, 07:05 PM
Carlos Hathcock (USMC) (http://oldbluejacket.com/CarlosHathcock.htm) made a 2500 yrd shot in Vietnam. But he didn't have a purpose built .50 cal sniper rifle. He took the scope off of his .308 sniper rifle and mounted it on a Browning M2 .50 cal machine gun sitting on the side of a mountain. Shot the bad guy and hit him in the base of the chin from 2500 yrds. He held the record for the longest confirmed kill for several decades. I think currently it belongs to a Canadian who served in Afghanistan.

http://www.bobtuley.com/50bmg914.jpg

Still that was a good story, thanks for posting RT. :)A very minor point of order; I seem to recall reading that the Gunny used a Winchester Model 70, 30-06. Later, the Remington 700, .308 was adopted (Marines; M40, Army M24) and modified for sniper issue. The M14 was typically issued to spotters, also chambered for .308 'Match Rounds', ammo is the same for both.

CIWS
05-07-10, 07:25 PM
A very minor point of order; I seem to recall reading that the Gunny used a Winchester Model 70, 30-06. Later, the Remington 700, .308 was adopted (Marines; M40, Army M24) and modified for sniper issue. The M14 was typically issued to spotters, also chambered for .308 'Match Rounds', ammo is the same for both.

Yes the Winchester/scope was a 30-06.

dkozloski
05-07-10, 09:57 PM
The Marines used pre '64 Model 70's and sent guys out to the gun shows and pawn shops to buy them after they went out of production.