: CTS gets Recaro seats just like V model

4gear70
02-19-10, 07:17 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/19/cadillac-cts-gets-recaro-seats-just-like-v-model/#continued

"Around the Autoblog campfire, the second-generation Cadillac CTS remains one of our favorite sedans of recent years. For one thing, the interior of the gen-two CTS is vastly better executed than the original. But like the Corvette, it has one weakness: The seats. They aren't terrible, just not great. That error has been rectified with news from Cadillac today that multi-adjustable power-actuated Recaro front seats are now available as an option. These same seats have been available in the supercharged CTS-V, but now buyers of the V6 sedan can get them as well.

At $2,800 the new seats don't come cheap, but you will definitely be hooked once you sit in them and start taking a few hard corners. Adjustable side bolsters and extendable seat cushions for those of us with long thighs allow these new thrones to fit any driver. Frankly, we'd love to seem them installed in the Corvette ZR1 as well, but the engineers tell us they are a bit too wide for the C6. When the two-door, fast-back CTS coupe goes on sale this summer, these same seats will also be available in both the V6- and LSA-powered variants. Unfortunately, those who opt for the extra cargo space of the Sportwagon will have to make do with the standard seats."

[Source: Cadillac]

thebigjimsho
02-19-10, 07:24 PM
Do you know how many older or naive owners are going to get them and then regret it later? They are great seats but there are some compromises. And I don't think some will understand that until it's too late...

vseries
02-19-10, 07:46 PM
My sister sent me this email from facebook where Cadillac is on her friends list:

" We are happy to announce that Recaro 14-way adjustable performance seats are now available on the Premium and Performance Collections of the 2010 CTS Sport Sedan. Previously, Recaro seats were exclusively offered on the 556 hp CTS-V high performance model. The popularity of the option on the V-Series model spurred Cadillac to extend the option further."

irablumberg
02-19-10, 08:06 PM
Hmm. Why did it cost me $3,400 for these seats if the regular CTS now gets them for $2,800?

vseries
02-19-10, 08:12 PM
Hmm. Why did it cost me $3,400 for these seats if the regular CTS now gets them for $2,800?

Because yours have the "V" Emblem on them;)

neuronbob
02-19-10, 09:04 PM
I hope this means that it will be easier to obtain the V seats via places like GMPartsDirect. I plan on this conversion at some point in the future.

Has any V owner completed the conversion since commander bailed out due to missing parts?

vseries
02-19-10, 10:49 PM
I hope this means that it will be easier to obtain the V seats via places like GMPartsDirect. I plan on this conversion at some point in the future.

Has any V owner completed the conversion since commander bailed out due to missing parts?

Thats exactly what I thought when I read this, Now are they exactly the same sans logo's? And what about the ventilated/cooled option?

thebigjimsho
02-19-10, 11:05 PM
I'm not worried...

commander112
02-19-10, 11:57 PM
I'm still looking for a set. More being installed means more cars will damaged and more seats available.

dvandentop
02-20-10, 12:10 AM

WOOOT hell yes just what i was thinking!!!

no one has done it from what i have seen

dvandentop
02-20-10, 12:11 AM
gay you cant get them in teh wagon for some reason

zero26039
02-20-10, 12:16 AM
I liked the fact that the seats were v only. Just one step closer for some a$$ to buy a 35,000 car with recaros and slap a v badge on it.

zero26039
02-20-10, 12:17 AM
Do you know how many older or naive owners are going to get them and then regret it later? They are great seats but there are some compromises. And I don't think some will understand that until it's too late...

My first month driving was what i call lower back stretching. I hated it. It took 4 weeks and all of a sudden wow they were great. I just drve my car after it sat in the garage for a few weeks and had that same feeling of "thats a stiff seat" but after an adjustment and a few miles I was enjoying them in the corners.

neuronbob
02-20-10, 07:56 AM
I liked the fact that the seats were v only. Just one step closer for some a$$ to buy a 35,000 car with recaros and slap a v badge on it.

I, too, am a little concerned about posers. That is simply a fact of life, however. It is also a fact that when we see these fakes, that we actual V owners will hound and embarrass the posers on the web. :D I am sure the Recaros for the more plebian CTS will not have a V on them, or that there will be an obvious way to differentiate from those of us who spent much more to purchase an exclusive car.

Besides, I am all for GM doing anything to make enough money to get off the gov't dole and to become a truly private enterprise again. If that means regular CTS owners want to have a Recaro, let those buyers spend the money on them.....as long as the supplier makes enough V seats for us.

BeagleBrains
02-20-10, 08:10 PM
Installing Recaros in my Jeep sounds just as incredible.:suspense:
Well; I do have a $6,000.00 Stereo installed in the Jeep. Long travel lift, 35 inch tires on 18" chrome wheels and GPS.... Why not Recaros.

thebigjimsho
02-20-10, 11:14 PM
Installing Recaros in my Jeep sounds just as incredible.:suspense:
Well; I do have a $6,000.00 Stereo installed in the Jeep. Long travel lift, 35 inch tires on 18" chrome wheels and GPS.... Why not Recaros.
Did you post that somewhere else or am I just having a very vivid session of deja vu??

Nine Ball
02-21-10, 09:31 AM
Sounds to me like Caddy had a surplus inventory of Recaro seats, and is just needing help moving them out. ;)

craig.martell
03-13-10, 11:02 AM
Folks,

Anyone know if it is possible to put these seats in a 2009 CTS? My wife loves her car, but isn't a fan of the regular seats. I would love to put some of these in for here.

Craig

Gotham CTS-V
03-13-10, 12:46 PM
I love my recaros. I think the people who dislike them just need to play around with them. On a test drive, you may not get a chance to adjust it right so that is why some people think they are uncomfortable. Once you get it adjusted for you, they are awesome. Plus they really add to the look of the interior. Love them. I wish they would have given a different version to the regular CTS, but it is still a big $ option and I doubt most people will pay for it anyway.

wfo
03-13-10, 01:21 PM

Here's the facts...Recaros rock!!

B]"IMHO", [/B]these are awesome seats!

Folks that buy them will absolutley love them, (particulalry if they've come from something less and wished for better.) Which for the most part is most seating on comparabl priced hi-po ride.

I have them on my V and absolutley love them. Designed with the intended application of sport touring and enthusiastic driving, these seats roick!! Awesome warmers and coolers work just beautiful and i'm soooo glad I bought this option...couldn't be happier.

Note: Recaro has many design options from airline seating to all out race bred seating products.

GM's got no real rationale other than creative laziness for indicating they can't work wth the Recaro folks to come up with an "option package" for the Vettes. :thepan:

The crappy seating syndrome the Vettes are notorious fo having for years now has got to fall on someone's desk who finds this an important issue to address and then go out there a be a Champion. :stirpot:

Build it, they will indeed come. -"Field of Vette Dreams"-

cbloveday
03-14-10, 01:53 AM
I'm thinking they won't move as well with the CTS crowd vs CTS-V crowd.

neuronbob
03-14-10, 10:27 AM
I am still waiting for that prophetic first post from a V owner who has done the conversion from regular seats to Recaros. I'd be willing to do the conversion. Every time I go to the dealer for an oil change, I see the black V in the waiting area of the service section of the dealership, and I sit in it. Each time I do I become more enamored of the Recaros.

thebigjimsho
03-14-10, 04:17 PM
Here's the facts...Recaros rock!!

B]"IMHO", [/b]these are awesome seats!

Folks that buy them will absolutley love them, (particulalry if they've come from something less and wished for better.) Which for the most part is most seating on comparabl priced hi-po ride.

I have them on my V and absolutley love them. Designed with the intended application of sport touring and enthusiastic driving, these seats roick!! Awesome warmers and coolers work just beautiful and i'm soooo glad I bought this option...couldn't be happier.

Note: Recaro has many design options from airline seating to all out race bred seating products.

GM's got no real rationale other than creative laziness for indicating they can't work wth the Recaro folks to come up with an "option package" for the Vettes. :thepan:

The crappy seating syndrome the Vettes are notorious fo having for years now has got to fall on someone's desk who finds this an important issue to address and then go out there a be a Champion. :stirpot:

Build it, they will indeed come. -"Field of Vette Dreams"-
Stop thinking only of yourself for just one minute, huh?

CTS buyers are a different breed. I drive a Town Car for a living and I do enjoy the fact that it's open. I like the fact that I can spend time in it and move around in the seat.

People are going to buy the CTS with these seats and then begrudge the fact that they are too supportive and that they feel claustrophobic, in a sense. There will be a lot of complaints that the seats are too specialized.

I don't feel that way because I drive my car to drive it. Some don't...

qweegybo
04-29-10, 08:37 PM
Successfull swap out to older V...
Has anyone successfully or know of anyone who has, upgraded to the Recaro V seat into an older Vmodel (04-07). I've done searches on the subject but havent found anything certain. I realize those of you are thinking, "why on earth would i want to do such a thing" or "why not just buy a newer model"... All of which is irrelevant, and not an option at this point.

I'm gonna give this a shot with my boys at Cadillac in Santa Monica, unless there is a complete nitemarish story of why it can't be done. Anyway i'm looking for intelligent insight, so please show me the light.

nynd
04-29-10, 08:40 PM
Basic supply and demand. Because the volume is increased, they can reduce the price from $3400 to $2800. They know there is going to be a certain take rate and can justify profit!

zero26039
04-29-10, 09:33 PM
The v coupe used laser embroidery instead of the plastic piece on the reccaro. I am not sure I like that better but its different.

neuronbob
04-29-10, 11:51 PM
Any V owners done this yet? Anyone successfully order the seats via a dealer or GMPartsDirect? Still awaiting the first success.

thebigjimsho
04-30-10, 12:06 PM
Successfull swap out to older V...
Has anyone successfully or know of anyone who has, upgraded to the Recaro V seat into an older Vmodel (04-07). I've done searches on the subject but havent found anything certain. I realize those of you are thinking, "why on earth would i want to do such a thing" or "why not just buy a newer model"... All of which is irrelevant, and not an option at this point.

I'm gonna give this a shot with my boys at Cadillac in Santa Monica, unless there is a complete nitemarish story of why it can't be done. Anyway i'm looking for intelligent insight, so please show me the light.
seatbelts.

Caddyscat
04-30-10, 02:19 PM
People are going to buy the CTS with these seats and then begrudge the fact that they are too supportive and that they feel claustrophobic, in a sense. There will be a lot of complaints that the seats are too specialized.

I don't feel that way because I drive my car to drive it. Some don't...

Never thought of it that way. Hmm.

I love the Recaros because they resemble the seats that were in my WS-6 but with added lower lateral support and the suede inserts - kinda like the same seat I was always used to but with a MUCH better car. I would imagine the enthusiast ordering a CTS with them but if you haven't got much experience with such a supportive seat or are doubtful in any way, go with the base seats.

Initially I found the Recaros a bit difficult to get out of because of their grip and i'm sure others have as well. I can't imagine a V-wagon with them.

marktanner
06-20-10, 11:36 PM
I haven't been to this site for a while, crazy busy, but now I'm back, and I know why the option is $600 cheaper on the base CTS. I saw one so equipped at the Atlanta Auto Show, and I asked the Cadillac reps about it. It turns out there are two reasons. The option is only available on models equipped with the performance luxury package (and I think also only with the 19" FE3 Summer tire package, though I'm not 100% sure of that). That package includes split folding rear seats, and heated and cooled leather seats. The Recaro interior uses the same back seat as the V, so there is a credit for the lack of the split/fold feature. The base V seat is not cooled, while the Recaro is, so part of the difference is the charge for cooling on the V, and that was already in the package price on the base car, so add it all up and it apparently equals $600 credit for the base car.

It's not exactly the same interior as ours, though. It does have the same upholstery on the seats and the doors ( minus the V insert, of course), but otherwise the interior is luxury package CTS. There is no obsidion trim, but has aluminum look trim instead. It also has the reddish brown Sapele wood trim, and this includes the upper (leather only) wheel and shifter (auto only). It's sort of strange looking, mixing the luxury with the sport, and I'm not sure the Recaro looks as good in this setting as it does in the V, especially with the micro-fiber wheel. The limits of even the FE3 suspension are far below those of the V, so the lateral support isn't as necessary IMO, though the all-day comfort of the Recaro would be welcome for someone who takes a lot of long trips. Plus, the sticker of the silver car was about $55,000, which is getting really close to V territory.

JFJr
06-21-10, 08:34 AM
I disliked the seats in my 2005 CTS-V because they were not supportive enough. It's not fun driving a manual transmission car with "sofa" seats. I got back from a 6 hour road trip yesterday and can tell you that the Recaros are the best for extended trips, too. After sitting in uncomfortable home furniture, I look forward to some seat time in my car. I've had a Recaro office chair for over 15 years, so I have the best of both worlds.

caddynoob
06-21-10, 09:46 AM
The real question is if the regular CTS can order them. Why not the Corvette. At least the mighty ZR-1 deserves better.

neuronbob
06-21-10, 11:42 AM
Wait...$55k for a regular non-V CTS with the performance package? At that point, a potential purchaser might as well save up a few pennies and purchase a base V.

BeagleBrains
06-21-10, 05:35 PM
The real question is if the regular CTS can order them. Why not the Corvette. At least the mighty ZR-1 deserves better.

I own a 2007 Z51 Vette Convertible. It is a tight fit for the seat that is currently installed. The "recline" feature is a pretend feature. :bigroll: Maybe 2 inches if you are not so tall. Wiring harness and cooling allowance require specific design changes. Unless the Vette is widened to provide more interior room, I don't believe it will happen. I enjoyed the WS6 with Recaros as well. Just what is needed when threading a winding road.
Backfit of Recaros in any car requires a major wiring modification that splicing doesn't provide. I believe there was a report in this forum about the futility of trying this. Is the CTS harness already fitted with the required plug connections on all CTS models? Likely it is not.