: Manually LOWER the top

CadillacSTS42005
02-19-10, 12:36 PM
I see in the manual theres a way to manually raise it but how about to lower it?
Long story short in my spare time Im rebuilding a wrecked 05 XLR and must section in a new front clip I bought, I have already pulled the carrier, harness, engine etc etc but I need to lower the top.
Thanks alot!

ccclarke
02-20-10, 03:08 AM
Though I haven't ever needed to do it, (I'm one of those, "If it works, don't fix it" kind of guys) the process is close to the reverse of raising the top. This procedure is from page 8-897 of the shop manual, which shows how to do just what you ask:

1) Raise the decklid.
2) Open the hydraulic bypass valve (CCW).
3) Remove the four T-15 Torx screws securing the center console rat fur interior.
4) Push up on the over-center link until the front tonneau center close-out panel starts to move.
5) Grasp the center close-out panel and pull open with one hand. Use your other hand to lift up each of the wings (outer front tonneau panels.)
6) Remove the headliner plug. (Front/Center of the headliner.)
7) Insert the 8 mm Allen wrench into the header latch actuator bolt beneath the plug location. Turn the wrench CCW until the bolt stops, while gently pulling up and back on the top to remove it from the header over the windshield.

The procedure stops here.

8) Before you stow the folding top in the trunk, you need to extend the rear tonneau from underneath the rear decklid. Pull down on the rear tonneau over-center links to unlock the rear tonneau.
9) Move the rear tonneau forward, away from the rear decklid.
10) Push both the rear tonneau's over-center links up to lock them into place.
11) Lower the rear decklid. Normally, an electric cinching mechanism locks the decklid; I imagine you probably won't have battery power, so don't force the latch. Ensure you close the hydraulic bypass valve.

If you don't have a shop manual, you might want to consider it. There are 293 pages devoted to the roof! Hope this helps you.
Good luck!!
CC

CadillacSTS42005
02-20-10, 07:58 AM
Thank you VERY much!