: D3's ECU Box vs Wait4Me's handheld

pj96ss
02-19-10, 10:02 AM
I've installed the Borla exhaust and will be doing D3's stage 2 intake soon. What are everyone's thought's/experiences with both/either the D3 ECU box or W4M handheld? I'm looking to increase performance and hopefully fuel mileage as well.

P.J.

wait4me
02-19-10, 10:19 AM
My handheld changes 100s of perameters in the Engine AND transmission controllers. It makes shifting more fun, It adds power, it changes spark, limiters, fans, fuel, ect....
All for only $400 dollars. It is also a scan tool. Holds 3 seperate tunes and is email update capable.

Cataract
02-19-10, 12:40 PM
My handheld changes 100s of perameters in the Engine AND transmission controllers. It makes shifting more fun, It adds power, it changes spark, limiters, fans, fuel, ect....
All for only $400 dollars. It is also a scan tool. Holds 3 seperate tunes and is email update capable.

Does it come preloaded with tunes? Or do we have to make/find them?

Redxped1
02-19-10, 12:56 PM
It comes preloaded with wait4me's tunes

Dr. Design
02-19-10, 01:54 PM
Hello P.J.
Our ECU box is designed to be compliant with the dealerships service programs. Unlike an ECU reflash, our box can be uninstalled by simply disconnecting the unit from the rest of the vehicle and the service department can go along with their normal servicing procedures. The box leaves no footprints on the vehicles ECU once removed. If you are looking for a power increase that will not void the vehicles warranty, this is the option for you.

There is always going to be a debate of what is better (ECU Reflash vs. Plug-in-play). If you look at our website we offer both reflashing services as well as our plug in play ECU box. We can get more power out of a reflash and change more parameters, but we let the customer decide how they want to address their vehicles performance vs. warranty. They are just options and we just try to provide the honest facts behind them.

Let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

I've installed the Borla exhaust and will be doing D3's stage 2 intake soon. What are everyone's thought's/experiences with both/either the D3 ECU box or W4M handheld? I'm looking to increase performance and hopefully fuel mileage as well.

P.J.

Cataract
02-19-10, 03:34 PM
Dr.-
Your site says to specify which tune we want, what tunes do you offer programmed on the ECU box? Can we load your different tunes on the box at home, then plug the box back in the car?

Dr. Design
02-20-10, 11:19 PM
Hello,
The tune that should be specified would need to indicate if you want to run the air intakes and exhaust or if you plan to run just the box. There are slightly different tunes available. If you decide to go with just the ECU, you can certainly do so and upgrade later. If you need to have the new tune loaded into the box, just send it in to us and we will reprogram it for you at no charge.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Dr.-
Your site says to specify which tune we want, what tunes do you offer programmed on the ECU box? Can we load your different tunes on the box at home, then plug the box back in the car?

pj96ss
02-22-10, 01:27 PM
I'm looking to increase performance and not void my warranty. I'm still up in the air as to which way to go.

P.J.

wait4me
02-22-10, 03:01 PM
My route will not void a warrenty. Out of 2000+ handhelds sold, I have yet to be proven different..

Also, if you are wanting "Just your fuel" changed as that box only changes, i can do the same if that is all you want. But like i said before, there are ALOT more gains to be had by changing other things in the engine AND transmission. Which only my handheld does.

I have Replacement computers available that are just a drop in and swap also for $300 for that route also. Fully programmed and we never charge for retunes. Ever...

Dr. Design
02-22-10, 11:03 PM
Hello PJ,
We would tell you the same thing if you were in our backyard. The D3 ECU box is the safest way to go. However if you are in need of a custom tune, you can take the risk of reflashing the ECU and hope that the service department does not detect the reflash despite what some might say. We can take a tuned vehicle down to 5 of 5 dealerships in the local area, all of which would detect a tune within the first few minutes of inspection. There are a lot of tricks to hiding the tune, but at the end of the day you still take a calculated risk.

Let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

I'm looking to increase performance and not void my warranty. I'm still up in the air as to which way to go.

P.J.

Vsts
04-09-14, 08:16 PM
I have a D3 ECU tuner for my 2006 sts-v and i took it into my dealer for service and my ECU box from D3 was the problem so I was wondering what I need to do now? Do i sent it back to D3 so they can trouble shoot the problem or re program it for me, please advise. Thanks

CMNTMXR57
04-09-14, 08:37 PM
I would. If their product seems to be at fault, contact them and let them rectify the situation.

Ludacrisvp
04-09-14, 10:34 PM
Or it's the dealer passing the buck...
What are your symptoms / issues?
Have you tried another dealer?

CMNTMXR57
04-10-14, 12:35 AM
Possibly. But a lot of the time, they don't want non-OEM equipment attached to make a proper diagnosis. If it's removed, and the problem goes away... I won't lie, I've done that in the past. Why? I can't speak to the quality or reliability of aftermarket part ABC. I know people always dog on GM service, and in many cases, rightfully so. But there are legitimate ones too, and process of elimination in troubleshooting works wonders too...

Anyway, I would contact them. Most usually do lifetime updates (if you're the original purchaser), or at least look into what went wrong. If they don't stand behind it, then you know what your next option is... Go elsewhere.

Ludacrisvp
04-10-14, 01:05 AM
I agree that process of elimination is good but not having any ideas what issues he is having makes it hard to say if this is a valid component to attempt to eliminate.

(Like my dealer blaming the iSimple audio gateway and lockpick in my sts to be causing my car to limit my speed to 120 ... Complete garbage if you ask me and several others as the issues persist without their presence)

1BadCadSTS
04-14-14, 05:25 PM
I have a D3 ECU tuner for my 2006 sts-v and i took it into my dealer for service and my ECU box from D3 was the problem so I was wondering what I need to do now? Do i sent it back to D3 so they can trouble shoot the problem or re program it for me, please advise. Thanks

Don't expect D3 to do shit... Notice how they chimed in for a sale but haven't responded to your issue....

Dr. Design
04-14-14, 07:41 PM
Sorry it is difficult to monitor posts that are over 4 years old. However with that being said if the person having the issue with the box contacts us we will issue an RMA# so we can look into the issue he is having.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Don't expect D3 to do shit... Notice how they chimed in for a sale but haven't responded to your issue....