: 300,000 miles... I made it!!

limoguy
02-18-10, 09:11 PM
Well, I bought this car in 8/07 from a craigslist ad I found. Owner wanted $3500, I gave him $3000 and I was on my way. She had 114,000 miles on her when I bought it. I think its the best car Ive ever owned. I appreciate all the help I received from the members on this site. You guys taught me alot! Thanks!:cool2:

thewireman*
02-18-10, 09:35 PM
Wow. That is one lucky caddy you have there.....:yup:

limoguy
02-18-10, 09:38 PM

Haha..You aint joking either:thumbsup:

Ranger
02-18-10, 09:51 PM
Standby, those head gaskets are gonna blow any day now, right Destroyer? tick tick tick

creeker
02-18-10, 11:23 PM

Actually, one lucky caddy owner.

eyekandyboats.inc
02-19-10, 09:20 AM
its probably because a Limo company uses the car! and fluids get changed regularly and regular service.

limoguy
02-19-10, 09:30 AM
its probably because a Limo company uses the car! and fluids get changed regularly and regular service.

I put over 200 miles a day on her. Change the oil every 10K miles. Never changed Trany fluid. Engine is still quiet and strong. No idea how much longer she will go. If it died today, I still would be happy with it.

Ranger
02-19-10, 10:49 AM
Seriously, congrats. That's an impressive milestone. You certainly got your monies worth out of it.

caddydaddy
02-19-10, 12:58 PM
Wow, congrats! I'm hoping my 2000 STS lasts that long. I'm only at 115k miles now.

limoguy
02-19-10, 06:59 PM
Seriously, congrats. That's an impressive milestone. You certainly got your monies worth out of it.
Thanks Ranger!

limoguy
02-19-10, 07:01 PM
Wow, congrats! I'm hoping my 2000 STS lasts that long. I'm only at 115k miles now.

AAAhhh..shes a baby! Just drive it. I didnt do anything special. Just keeps running.:hmm:

thewireman*
02-19-10, 10:14 PM
You never touched the Head Gasket? :hmm:

limoguy
02-20-10, 07:22 AM
You never touched the Head Gasket? :hmm:

Nope, never touched it!

VEGASELDO91
02-20-10, 11:17 AM
That is awesome!

cl1986
02-20-10, 11:50 AM
not that uncommon, in the last few years there seems to be a lot of haters on this board, headgaskets are still not as common as you think, heck jake is even doing headgaskets for half price cause he cant find work (im not trying to knock you but i kinda thought that would happen eventually, but he does have very good plans, keep it up)

I went to look at the STS donor drivetrain to put in my sls, it had 281k miles on it and hit a deer, probrably would have been going strong for many more miles. Ive seen very many N* up here with over 250k miles on them, never any headgasket issues.

limoguy
02-20-10, 06:52 PM
not that uncommon, in the last few years there seems to be a lot of haters on this board, headgaskets are still not as common as you think, heck jake is even doing headgaskets for half price cause he cant find work (im not trying to knock you but i kinda thought that would happen eventually, but he does have very good plans, keep it up)

I went to look at the STS donor drivetrain to put in my sls, it had 281k miles on it and hit a deer, probrably would have been going strong for many more miles. Ive seen very many N* up here with over 250k miles on them, never any headgasket issues.

Yep..Im sure there are many out there:thumbsup:
To me, the weak thing on these cars is the rear suspension. They all seem to go, few fix it cause its to expensive. You can always tell by the sagging. When I had a towncar, the rear suspension went after awhile, but you can just switch to coil springs and your done. cheap fix on Towncars, not cadys though

limoguy
02-20-10, 08:22 PM
Here is a couple photos I took in the morning.

caddydaddy
02-20-10, 09:10 PM
Wow, it looks great for that many miles! :)

limoguy
02-20-10, 09:37 PM

Hey thanks. Im very happy with the car.:highfive:

thewireman*
02-21-10, 12:07 AM

I would have to agree.

jcresciSTS
02-21-10, 01:28 AM
wow 300k! I'm sure mine won't last that long...I'd be happy to make it to 200k...I'm at about 137k I believe

limoguy
02-21-10, 07:51 AM
wow 300k! I'm sure mine won't last that long...I'd be happy to make it to 200k...I'm at about 137k I believe

It may last. You never know with these things. Don`t ever let it overheat. Thats the only advice that I can give. I never used any special oils or filters. Shes runs on any basic 10/30, 10/40, 20/50 oils.

limoguy
02-21-10, 07:56 AM
I would have to agree.

Thanks wire

limoguy
03-29-10, 03:46 PM
Well, today I say goodbye to the car. 308,000 miles and counting. I picked up a 03 Grand Marquis. The Cadi was sold for $425 to a guy with a tow truck. I was not going to fix the water pump pullys, belt and tensioner at this point. Could have been a bad water pump to. Thats a $600 fix at the shop around here. 308,000 is a good-long life and Im very pleased with that.

Thanks to everyone here for all the help I received over the years. Special thanks to Submariner and Ranger.

Destroyer
04-02-10, 10:45 PM
To me, the weak thing on these cars is the rear suspension. They all seem to go, few fix it cause its to expensive. You can always tell by the sagging. When I had a towncar, the rear suspension went after awhile, but you can just switch to coil springs and your done. cheap fix on Towncars, not cadys thoughActually I put coil springs in my '98 Deville. I got it with a sagging ass and put the coil springs in place of the air ride. Thing is the coils were real long and kinda skinny. They did the job but the car liked to "shift" from side to side over bumps much worse than it did with the stock setup. :cool:

Destroyer
04-02-10, 10:50 PM
Nope, never touched it!You never did but someone else might have before you got it. They H/G's may have already been done. I think it's more rare to see a N* without the H/G issue than it is to see one with it. I run into them all the time. You say it needed a water pump. I'd put money on the H/G issue. I was told my Deville needed a water pump and paid $800 to change only to find that was not the problem It was the h/g thing.

ThumperPup
04-02-10, 10:58 PM
wow 300k sweet
wish i had goten alteast another 50k on my baby before this HG problem but she made it to 144k im happy now once i get the hg's doen if i can make it to another 144 ill be one happy pup

Destroyer
04-03-10, 10:54 PM
Standby, those head gaskets are gonna blow any day now, right Destroyer? tick tick tick

It definately is not out of the realm of possibility that the H/G issue surfaced before he bought the car and was fixed. From what I have experienced and what I see here the problem often occurs when the vehicle has around 90-100k miles. But hey, if this one really has 300k miles on it without issues, he really should call Guiness............. :D

limoguy
04-05-10, 09:06 PM
You never did but someone else might have before you got it. They H/G's may have already been done. I think it's more rare to see a N* without the H/G issue than it is to see one with it. I run into them all the time. You say it needed a water pump. I'd put money on the H/G issue. I was told my Deville needed a water pump and paid $800 to change only to find that was not the problem It was the h/g thing.

Well, The water pump pullys, tensioner and belt all fell apart. The same thing happened with the pullys on the serpentine belt 6 months ago. Nothing there indicates a HG issue. There wasnt water in the oil or anything. Maybe the HG was done before I bought it but I dont have proof of that.

Ranger
04-05-10, 10:38 PM
Northstars rarely put coolant in the oil when the HG goes.

tateos
04-06-10, 04:36 PM
It definately is not out of the realm of possibility that the H/G issue surfaced before he bought the car and was fixed. From what I have experienced and what I see here the problem often occurs when the vehicle has around 90-100k miles. But hey, if this one really has 300k miles on it without issues, he really should call Guiness............. :D

I'm with Destroyer on this - not about the 300K, but the rest

stngh8r
04-08-10, 01:23 PM
Congrats! :thumbsup:

That is very encouraging.

Eric

limoguy
04-08-10, 10:08 PM
Congrats! :thumbsup:

That is very encouraging.

Eric

Thanks Eric...I was very pleased with the car. Weakest thing on the car for me was the rear suspension. :yup: