: General Exclaim UHP Tires

ronzride
02-18-10, 02:12 PM
I'm gonna be going with 20" rims and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the General Exclaim tires?? Most all the reviews on the Tire Rack are favorable for this tire,its relatively inexpensive (cheap?) as compared to other brands.No sense paying double for another brand ( Goodyear,295/30/20 rear,255/35/20 front) if these are almost as good..Ron

thebigjimsho
02-18-10, 04:46 PM
I'm gonna be going with 20" rims and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the General Exclaim tires?? Most all the reviews on the Tire Rack are favorable for this tire,its relatively inexpensive (cheap?) as compared to other brands.No sense paying double for another brand ( Goodyear,295/30/20 rear,255/35/20 front) if these are almost as good..Ron
Not even in the same league as the PS2s. Why spend so much for the best sedan on the planet and then cheap out on the tires?

ronzride
02-18-10, 05:32 PM
Not even in the same league as the PS2s. Why spend so much for the best sedan on the planet and then cheap out on the tires?

Granted,they probably aren't in the same league,but they do get favorable reviews and are a lot less expensive.And ps2's don't appear to be available in 295/30/20's,although there a few other brands that are available in that size.

RemoWilliams
02-18-10, 05:33 PM
I would go with Pirelli P Zeros. The generals are an inferior tire to the Pirelli or michelin

neuronbob
02-18-10, 05:57 PM
I don't think anyone else has reported on the Generals. The only reports of non-OEM summer tires we have are a positive report on Hankooks and an initial positive report on Bridgestone run-flats. I agree with TBJS' and RemoWilliams' assessments in that the General brand in general is considered far inferior to the bigger brand names, particularly in the sport sedan world.

With that said, if you want to try them, go ahead as it will provide data for the rest of us as replacement nears. If they are as good as the denizens of the Tire Rack (of which I am a long-term one, thank you :) ) say they are, that will be helpful to the group and may indeed indicate they are a worthy replacement.

sefa01
02-18-10, 06:25 PM
A lot of positive reviews by C6 Z06 owners on corvetteforum.com. I'm thinking seriously of these for my next tires on my Z06. Reviews said they are quieter than stock runflats on the Vette, last longer, and are about half the price of OEMs. From the reviews I've read, they will stand up to hard driving around town and on the highway. Probably not for the track, though.

readyact
02-18-10, 06:39 PM

RONZRIDE, I have used the Exclaims on my Bonneville SSEi and Saab 93 Convertible. The tires did great and the tread wear was outstanding on both cars, but on our V2's I would not us the Exclaims. I doubt you will be happy with the performance unless you baby your car around town while you are driving ;) It's your car so do as you wish the tires are good, but I fear for the performance on a true high performance car.

CVP33
02-18-10, 06:46 PM
Vredesteins or Nitto NT05's in 275/40/20 on all 4 corners are a better choice for your cars weight. Especially if you want to retain any of the V's handling and balance.

ronzride
02-18-10, 07:25 PM
I talked to my tire dealer after I posted this question on the forum. He said he sells a lot of these and advised me that these tires are an excellent choice, except for one thing.At the tires half life,they become slightly noisey,which he says most tires do to some extent.So with that in mind I think I'll give them a try and report my findings.

readyact
02-18-10, 08:26 PM
I talked to my tire dealer after I posted this question on the forum. He said he sells a lot of these and advised me that these tires are an excellent choice, except for one thing.At the tires half life,they become slightly noisey,which he says most tires do to some extent.So with that in mind I think I'll give them a try and report my findings.

ronzride, the noise level is one thing that I left out as it is all relative. In the Saab with it being a convertilble the noise level from the Exclaims was pretty evident with or without the top down.

Prof
02-19-10, 09:05 AM
My approach to vehicles is probably different from many. Vehicles are very special to me. I treat them like my family, and care for them in a very special way. I would never buy the cheapest shoes for my kids, I would never feed them inferior food, I try to find the finest practitioners when they need health care, and I encourage them to go to the finest institutions of higher learning...

Its just me and I would not quibble with a different approach...but I am an admitted gear head...and vehicles/machinery is/are deserving of high respect in my life...

Maybe I am the only one.

Gotham CTS-V
02-19-10, 10:09 AM
General UHP's were not THAT bad on my other car, a modded MB CLK500 with 400+hp. PS2's are better but these tires were cheap. I used to drift a lot and have fun burning rubber, so I'd go through these tires like nothing and because they were the cheapest of the performance bunch, I didn't mind using them at all. Another friend who has a modded E55 AMG with around 480rwhp had good results using these tires as well. They can be used year round and thread wear is pretty good. It's a good all around tire for someone wanting to save $ and have all season performance. PS2, P-Zeros are better, but these aren't too bad for the price savings.

musclesbmf
02-19-10, 10:41 AM
I have them on my 20's on my v2. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever. Its just a car, and they are just tires. I don't track my car, but I do enjoy taking the curves on on ramps and doing high speed blasts. I would buy these tires again without question. What made my decision easy was the good reviews on corvetteforums.
Why pay over double the $$ if you don't have to? I dunno about you guys, but I don't let my family sleep in the garage, but my car does... LOL. Just a friendly joke to an above post.

Just my $0.02,
Mark

musclesbmf
02-19-10, 10:55 AM
I would go with Pirelli P Zeros. The generals are an inferior tire to the Pirelli or michelin

Just have to poke one more joke...
And this guy wants to use wheel adapters to fit some wheels on his car... OK

Prof
02-19-10, 11:10 AM
... I dunno about you guys, but I don't let my family sleep in the garage, but my car does... LOL. Just a friendly joke to an above post.

Just my $0.02,
Mark

Point taken Mark! :D

But truthfully, if the working person in the house hold would allow me to bring them in from the garage...I would do so! Currently getting bids on air and heat for their humble abode! I know, I am a little compulsive...remember I am the guy who pulls the wheels weekly to clean the suspension and wheel wells!

musclesbmf
02-19-10, 11:21 AM
Point taken Mark! :D

But truthfully, if the working person in the house hold would allow me to bring them in from the garage...I would do so! Currently getting bids on air and heat for their humble abode! I know, I am a little compulsive...remember I am the guy who pulls the wheels weekly to clean the suspension and wheel wells!

Thank you for taking my words in jest... it's friday and just trying to have a little fun.
Kudos to you for adding air to the garage. I would love that. then while working out there, I wouldn't sweat so much in the florida heat.
Hey, will you come clean my wheels? :-)

JFJr
02-19-10, 02:24 PM
I know, I am a little compulsive...remember I am the guy who pulls the wheels weekly to clean the suspension and wheel wells!Wow! I thought that I was compulsive. Are you torquing those wheel nuts to 158 lb-ft like the "wheel clicking" TSB recommends?

thebigjimsho
02-19-10, 02:49 PM
Vredesteins or Nitto NT05's in 275/40/20 on all 4 corners are a better choice for your cars weight. Especially if you want to retain any of the V's handling and balance.
Unless your V is lowered, don't get the Vredesteins. Everyone will see them... :helpless:

thebigjimsho
02-19-10, 02:56 PM
And remember, you get what you pay for. A good cheap tire can do 90% of what a premium tire can. I still remember all the love the Falken RT-615s got on the V1 forum. And then their gimmicky tread pattern were found to be horrible in the rain. And then their cheaper tread compounds were found to get hot and greasy on the track. And then their treads were found to delaminate after hard use.

You get what you pay for. I'm sure the Generals are a great tire. But they can't make money unless compromises are made somewhere. Not all expensive tires are ripoffs...

musclesbmf
02-19-10, 03:26 PM
And remember, you get what you pay for. A good cheap tire can do 90% of what a premium tire can. I still remember all the love the Falken RT-615s got on the V1 forum. And then their gimmicky tread pattern were found to be horrible in the rain. And then their cheaper tread compounds were found to get hot and greasy on the track. And then their treads were found to delaminate after hard use.

You get what you pay for. I'm sure the Generals are a great tire. But they can't make money unless compromises are made somewhere. Not all expensive tires are ripoffs...

Good points indeed.
for my usage, the General's do me just fine :thumbsup:

Mark

Prof
02-19-10, 04:18 PM
Wow! I thought that I was compulsive. Are you torquing those wheel nuts to 158 lb-ft like the "wheel clicking" TSB recommends?

No! I highly object to that level of torque. I torque to 90 ft. lbs.

I have a Ram SRT 10 that gets the same treatment weekly, and those get torqued to 90 lbs too. And those are 22 inch wheels on a vehicle with much more rwhp and tq...

I guess I would reevaluate my practice if I had them on for six months at a time...but I am tightening the lug nuts weekly...I even use bearing grease on the lugs...some are shocked at that practice too...but I hate rust. And I am old...and feeble minded and getting weaker every day...lots of reasons to not torque too high.

V-Eight
02-19-10, 04:21 PM
Um, isn't the SRT-10 500hp and 525 tq? Or do you have it modded?

Prof
02-19-10, 04:34 PM
Um, isn't the SRT-10 500hp and 525 tq? Or do you have it modded?

Just a little:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/rfouts/1SRT%2010/Candy5.jpg

CVP33
02-19-10, 06:19 PM
Vredesteins have beaten the PS2's in every head to head test. They have a very stiff sidewall to help keep your tires from rolling over. The NT-05's are better than the Vredesteins. Using the transitive property NT-05's > PS2's. Vred's will run you $825-ish a set and the NT-05's are around $1,000.

thebigjimsho
02-19-10, 06:29 PM
Vredesteins have beaten the PS2's in every head to head test. They have a very stiff sidewall to help keep your tires from rolling over. The NT-05's are better than the Vredesteins. Using the transitive property NT-05's > PS2's. Vred's will run you $825-ish a set and the NT-05's are around $1,000.
You and your Vreds have no chance against me and my PS2s... :thepan:

CVP33
02-19-10, 09:17 PM
You and your Vreds have no chance against me and my PS2s... :thepan:

Probably true. But I'm running Toyo Proxes 4 now. It's the only thing that gives me any traction what so ever off the line.

thebigjimsho
02-19-10, 09:52 PM
Probably true. But I'm running Toyo Proxes 4 now. It's the only thing that gives me any traction what so ever off the line.
Sorry to hear that...

CVP33
02-19-10, 10:33 PM
Sorry to hear that...

Not me, traction breaks at 60mph are a hoot! :sneaky:

thebigjimsho
02-19-10, 11:02 PM
Not me, traction breaks at 60mph are a hoot! :sneaky:
See, garbage tires are good for something...

CVP33
02-20-10, 12:07 AM
Why yes, yes they are. That and 11.97 1/4 miles with 1.87 60 foots. :yup:

thebigjimsho
02-20-10, 12:52 AM
Why yes, yes they are. That and 11.97 1/4 miles with 1.87 60 foots. :yup:
Yawn...

V-Eight
02-20-10, 05:38 AM
Just a little:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/rfouts/1SRT%2010/Candy5.jpg

Ahaha, ****ing nice man.

Prof
02-20-10, 10:05 AM
Thank you. It has been a labor of love, and thank God for a generous sponsor...my well employed spouse!

asabase
02-20-10, 02:29 PM
It isn't going to go far until you fix that battery cable. :p

Prof
02-20-10, 06:25 PM
It isn't going to go far until you fix that battery cable. :p

Truck has been stored since December...and the battery is now located in the fender behind the right rear tire.

My wife and I just got back from the Chicago Auto Show...I was drooling over the Viper ACR...her comment was: "If you buy that one then you will have two, two seaters, that can be driven only during the summer...and you will once again be the owner of two black garage queens!"

She is so damn practical...and obviously just does not understand!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/rfouts/Supercars%201/IMG_0011-2.jpg

thebigjimsho
02-20-10, 11:11 PM
Truck has been stored since December...and the battery is now located in the fender behind the right rear tire.

My wife and I just got back from the Chicago Auto Show...I was drooling over the Viper ACR...her comment was: "If you buy that one then you will have two, two seaters, that can be driven only during the summer...and you will once again be the owner of two black garage queens!"

She is so damn practical...and obviously just does not understand!

Did you meet up with the Caddy group that went today??

Prof
02-21-10, 07:37 AM
I had no idea that they were going!

There was only one CTS V there...it was the sedan...no coupe. But the full sized hybrid (XTS Concept) was pretty slick looking!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/rfouts/Family/Vehicles/IMG_0002.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/rfouts/Family/Vehicles/IMG_0003.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/rfouts/Family/Vehicles/IMG_0004.jpg