: Trying to do this LED conversion

Stevie C
02-18-10, 12:36 PM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x37/hs_int0092/led2.jpg http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x37/hs_int0092/led.jpg
I saw this 'lade on ebay. Ive seen others like this but with vertical LED's, I really like this one cus it really does look like the audis and i personally like the horizontal better than vertical. Im really trying to replicate this one. Does any website sell already made healights like this? If not can someone give me detialed info on how to replicate it myself, THANKS!

slimfro
02-18-10, 03:29 PM
I'vent bought my Lade yet or worked on one but it seems pretty simple from all the readings i've done and my experience installing eletronic stuff.
1 - You will need some LED strips, either cut them or order the exact length which you can measure yourself from the headlight.
2 - You will have to take your headlight off and bake them to be able to get to the inside by prying them open once out the oven.
3 - You will have to drill tiny holes or find a way out for the strip wires.
4 - Connect the wires to your parking lights or whatever else of your choice if you wanna be able to turn them on and off. I would go with the parking lights so everytime you remotely lock or unlock your truck they come on.

Stevie C
02-18-10, 04:49 PM
What do you mean by baking in oven? Could you please elaborate?

dixit
02-18-10, 09:28 PM
What do you mean by baking in oven? Could you please elaborate?

The clear lens is actually sealed to the headlight assembly. If you look closely you will see essentially this black sealant between the clear lens and black plastic portion (the headlight assembly). The sealant is a very sticky and solid when dried. Almost impossible to take the lens off without breaking it.

What people do is bake the headlight in an oven at say 300-350F for say 10-15mins or whatever it takes for that sealant to become nice and soft and gooey-like. Then you can essentially pull the lens off fairly easily.

And dont worry baking the headlight in the oven isnt going to melt it, plastic of that nature doesnt melt at 300F, requires much higher temps.

Ive done this many many times.

Other methods are to use a heatgun and heat just the sealant part, but its hard cause you can easily melt the plastic (given that heatguns can hit 1000F) and as you move around the side you just heated is cold now. Oven works best to heat it all at once and just pop the lens off.

Dixit

MATCHN_TOYZ
02-19-10, 10:02 AM
Hey Stevie C.... Sorry to be the one to break it to you but this mod is very hard to do. If you havent done a few mods with any type of electrical connections and or taking lights apart this might not be the thing to do on a weekend.

Like slimfro and dixit said you will have to take your headlight apart (not that hard) but the drilling and LED work you have to do will be challenging. One wrong drill into your headlight and it will be noticeable... plus you have to make sure that your headlight is still water tight. Dont forget that drilling is not reversible... so if you need to sell or trade in. Just something to think about.

Hope I didnt come off the wrong way... Im by no means sayn ur not capable of it...but just want to make sure you know its a hard mod to do. but if you feel up to it and you can do it... DO IT :thumbsup: Trust me im all for custom mods

Good luck

slimfro
02-19-10, 04:32 PM
It's funny i was thinking the same too: it seems like you don't have enough experience as of yet to do these kinda mods. I'm not saying you aint smart enough but it takes practice and yo uwill have to learn the hard way but messing something up like we all did before. Plus you dont wanna mess something up on such an expensive truck. If you have enough confidence to get it right just go for it but be ready to spend a lotta money in case you mess something up.