Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Passenger shock is blown and leaks are plentiful

5K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  KaMaSuTrA 
#1 ·
Over the past few days I had noticed more clunking than normal while driving around the city. I threw the V on the lift real quick and sure enough, my shock absorber just told me to go to hell.

Then it appears I have a small leak coming from the vent on the differential.

Finally after looking around and removing the dust guard, my lower radiator hose looks to have a small leak also.

I got GMPP so I dropped it off at the dealer this morning, hopefully this all should get fixed. Don't remember if shock absorbers are covered, anyone got a passenger side FE4 lying around or maybe full FG2s just in case?

See less See more
#2 ·
Some guy just posted about potential blown shocks and asked if they were covered. Answers came in as, factory warranty: yes, gmpp or dealer warranty: no.

Might not your case, but just what I read a little bit ago. Also I think that the radiator leak is a tsb and the diff vent leak is common also.

#3 ·
Yea, it seems like shock absorbers not being covered under GMPP is the consensus. I have yet to get the lovely phone call from the dealer.

Referenced as Part Number #19150079

RockAuto has FE4s for 103.79/+ship
GMPartsDirect has FE4 for 104.85 shipped

Wonder if Lindsay has them in stock?

I too have also heard of TSBs with the radiator cracking and the differential vent. We'll see what happens...:bonkers:

#4 ·
Just got that wonderful call from the dealer. My radiator is definitely cracked so that's getting replaced. The differential vent is in fact leaking and its considered "normal breathing", the TSB if I remember correctly just adds a hose so it can "breathe" somewhere else. The dealership is treating the shock as a strut failure which would be covered under GMPP. I'll be getting update once parts come in.

#5 ·
nice! I 'think' mine is blown too. nice oil puddle spot forming where the passenger shock is but I have not been under the car yet. I am under GMPP as well, dropping her off tomorrow. ill add this to the laundry list....

were you experiencing any rightward wandering of the car, sort of like an alignment issue? mine seems to do this, and it has been aligned a few times recently.

#15 ·
Kamasutra, so you need a front shock? FE4?

#17 ·
Well if you already ordered one, nevermind. I was going to pay it forward as Darkman did to me and send you my used FE4 free of charge :)

#19 ·
Update time! Here are some pics of the old blown shock coming out.

Made in USA!

Heres the new shock and side by side comparison next to the old one.

Made in Mexico? ORALE! :cowboy:

My final good byes to the blown shock.

Car drives great now. :bouncy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.