: Which is better ?

snobyrd
02-18-10, 08:17 AM
Hi everybody I am new to this forum and LOVE CADILLACS ! My question to all is which is a better engine ; the 4100 or the northstar ? I ask as I have one of each ; an 1985 Eldorado with 98,000 mi. and besides replacing a wter pump never had any problem and a 1996 DeVille with a northstar with 75,000 miles that has had a water pump replacement & headgasket replacement and is now overheating again !! Trying to figure out if its worth keeping . My husband says "junk" the Northstar and get a Lincoln ( cring !! ) like him . Everyone tells me the 4100 is the one I should junk ( it was my Mama's car ) but it has never given me problems . Whats the real scoop on these two engines ?:confused:

Northstar333
02-18-10, 08:30 PM
The Northstar is better of course.

creeker
02-18-10, 11:58 PM
[quote=snobyrd;2153519]Hi everybody I am new to this forum and LOVE CADILLACS ! My question to all is which is a better engine ; the 4100 or the northstar ? I ask as I have one of each ; an 1985 Eldorado with 98,000 mi. and besides replacing a wter pump never had any problem and a 1996 DeVille with a northstar with 75,000 miles that has had a water pump replacement & headgasket replacement and is now overheating again !! Trying to figure out if its worth keeping . My husband says "junk" the Northstar and get a Lincoln ( cring !! ) like him . Everyone tells me the 4100 is the one I should junk ( it was my Mama's car ) but it has never given me problems . Whats the real scoop on these two engines ?:confused:

To get 98,000 out of your 4.1 eldo. is quite a rarity, to be honest they are not a great engine, you dont show where you live in your profile,
to rebuild a northstar correctly will run from $3500.00 t0 $5000.00,I asked where you live because there is a highly respected person in Ontario Canada that will do a complete head gasket job ( I believe he just put on a special for $1320.00 u.s.) both of your cars are on edge of an economic
decision, if it was me I would sell the eldo, while it's still running,98,000
miles as I said is rare. These are just my thoughts.

sven914
02-20-10, 09:53 PM
Both engines have their problems.

The Northstar is notorious for head gasket failures, oil leaks, and oil burning. The '96-'99 engines are under recall for oil burning and rear main seal leaks. If it fails, then (as creeker said) it will cost up to $5,000 to rebuild, or you have to buy another car.

The 4100 is also prone to head gasket failure; because of the aluminum block and steel heads. 4100's also get low end rod knocks, which require a rebuild, which isn't worth it. The main complaint is that they are underpowered (135 hp).

Both engines will last the life of the car if properly maintained; the coolant needs to be changed regularly. Your Northstar has already failed , been fixed, and is now failing again. The 4100 is still running, and there is no reason to believe it will fail. If the 4100 fails, you can easily replace it with an Oldsmobile 307 (it will mount transverse and bolt up to the old transmission). If the Northstar fails, you're left with a dead engine and a $5000 repair bill.

I would say keep the Eldorado, both for sentimental value and because you can at least replace the 4100 if you need to.