: How often are blocks not re-useable for rebuild?

ponyboyt
02-17-10, 02:03 PM
This has me scared. Not just that, but any added cost. Jake, im almost ready with this 99. I dont want to touch this car myself, its too nice to eff it up and im a bit worried. But im also worried about any extra costs that may come up? What do you do with the A/C ? Im sure i have more questions, and maybe this'll help other people too?

Submariner409
02-17-10, 05:56 PM
To answer your thread title: "About as often as any other engine block removed from a vehicle for any number of overhaul reasons."

If there's enough "meat" left to do a stud install the rest of the block is normally OK - BUT, just as with any other engine, if a cylinder or liner is cracked you now have a boat anchor.

97EldoCoupe
02-17-10, 06:19 PM
To answer your thread title: "About as often as any other engine block removed from a vehicle for any number of overhaul reasons."

If there's enough "meat" left to do a stud install the rest of the block is normally OK - BUT, just as with any other engine, if a cylinder or liner is cracked you now have a boat anchor.

A very light boat anchor but that's correct. These cracks cannot be repaired.

A cracked cylinder, with a full cooling system - will produce loads of white smoke, that doesn't stop. So heavy you won't see the car behind you.

I've seen a liner cracked through the aluminum but not into the gray iron liner, but only once.

Why do the cylinders crack? Hydro locking. The rods are so strong on 93-99 Northstars that before the connecting rods will bend, with hydrolocking, the cylinder expands enough to crack on the compression stroke. This is a rare occurance but it can happen.

I wouldn't be too worried Mason, I'm usually reasonable with blocks provided I have to use another one. I charge between $300-$500 more if a block is cracked on the 93-99's, and in reality I've only seen cracks in about 3% of all engines I've worked on. HG jobs, rebuilds/re-cons, and my own, I'm going to guestimate that I've worked on about 140-150 Northstars to date.

00+ will bend the connecting rods before the cylinders will crack. This in turn creates an out of balance condition and usually winds up in shards of aluminum hitting the ground..., because the owners don't realize that "shake" is extremely dangerous to the health of their Northstar.

ponyboyt
02-18-10, 01:22 AM
this thing smokes a lot, white steam very much.

I may have to keep this other engine i have... well, i have two.. and they both have the abiklity to go in the newer mounts.

97EldoCoupe
02-18-10, 05:15 AM
Actually Mason if I do the whole job for you I will wind up pulling the engine anyway- to tear it down takes me a 1/2 hour to see the cylinders. I'll let you know if it's cracked. If it is, bring down one of your other engines and it won't change the bill any....

ponyboyt
02-18-10, 11:09 AM
another thing i wanted to know about; my 97 is noisy, especialy in the morning. Very loud, cant even call it a tick. I usualy let it warm up enough just to make the temp needle start to move (so its just above the bottom line) and the noise goes away. Piston slap? Anyway, once thats gone it still has a tick, sounds like its in the top end, maybe lifters? Like a lot of other people, i want this 99 perfect or as close to that as i can get. As of now it seems to run pretty quiet, has a really bad misfire but that could be due to the headgasket gone and burning antifreeze? Maybe not cause that thing was dry when i started it (took a minute to burn the antifreeze out) and it was still misfiring. What do you do about tp end noise?

ponyboyt
02-18-10, 01:33 PM
Ok well... Brandon just called and asked for my keys, wants to pull the ngine Monday. Maybe the two of us working on it can get it out nice and clean. We are both curious about pulling it out the top. He has some tricks uphis sleave, (this guy deals in a lot of scrap.) He can be a bit dangerous heh, but if i pay enough attention we should be able to do it nice and clean.

I'd like to know: what should be removed and what can stay on? I assume (i hope) you dont just need bare block and heads? Or do i need to strip it right down before i send it over?