: US car insurance???

Albertan
02-16-10, 12:34 PM
My daughter live in Houston. She now has car insurance and has been looking around for better rates. So she is asking me about various options etc. Being in Canada, I have NO IDEA.
Can anyone tell me what she should be including in her insurance. She has been checking with Geico and they keep sending her questions but she doesn't know how to answer. ie uninsured motorist bodily damage??
HELP!

Stingroo
02-16-10, 12:44 PM
It varies by state. I don't know Texas, so I can't help. If she checks the big companies, I know for a fact DO NOT use Progressive, because they don't give you accurate representation of minimum coverage in your state (at least, not in Florida when I was checking around).

orconn
02-16-10, 01:39 PM
She should get in touch with a real live insurance agaent and have him or her explain the various components of a car insurance policy and make which types of coverage amke the best sense for her. Relying on the internet for a decisive is not a good idea when you don't understand the types and nature of the coverage options available. She should get someone who can explain this imporatnt coverage to her so she understands what she is buying and whether she has covered with insurance her potential liabilities; once she has a good understanding of what she is trying to accomplish by purchasing car insurance she acn then intelligently shop for the best ptice for that coverage. The same goes for the purchase of "Renters" or "Homeowner's" insuramce.

Submariner409
02-16-10, 02:49 PM
Over many years and many U.S. Navy moves I have had great success and excellent (low) rates with State Farm. She should use her local agent, one who is most convenient to home or work.

Ranger
02-16-10, 05:11 PM
Sub, you don't have USAA? I'm surprised.

ben.gators
02-16-10, 05:21 PM
My daughter live in Houston. She now has car insurance and has been looking around for better rates. So she is asking me about various options etc. Being in Canada, I have NO IDEA.
Can anyone tell me what she should be including in her insurance. She has been checking with Geico and they keep sending her questions but she doesn't know how to answer. ie uninsured motorist bodily damage??
HELP!

If she is just looking for minimum state insurance (liability), she can easily google minimum state insurance requirements in Texas, and then get quotes online for that from main companies. I can suggest these three companies that I found them very cheap: 1- Geico, 2- Progressive, and 3- AllState.
May be one of them may not be very active in Texas.

But I need to say that I never ever have had accident or claim, so I have no idea how they treat people when it comes to action! But I can say that they are very cheap and affordable. I have been switching between them for better rates, and my current insurance rate is 150$ for 6 months! :D :D

cvettr/cts-v
02-16-10, 07:09 PM
I agree she needs to go to a big insurance company such as state farm or whom ever is close talk to a live person see what the state requires and what fits her needs. once she has that understood she can then price geico and the other internet companies and compare apples to apples.

iowasevillests
02-16-10, 08:19 PM
I highly agree with going to a live agent, I've had great success with Farm Bureau but I also live in a rural area, gerew up on a farm and now own a small acreage. State Farm, Allstate, one of the local insurance companies, but talk with a real agent and get a baseline for price to compare the online guys against.

codewize
02-17-10, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't use any of the big advertisers. I'd work with a local agent so you have a personal contact. They'll usually work to get you the best rate and they'll insure that you have what you need.

My agent won't even write minimum coverage because she says it not enough any more. Not that I would have the minimum anyway. I'm insured by Erie, apparently they're a pretty prestigious company and they're rates can almost never be beaten. Them and State Farm have excellent rate on the correct coverage.

I'm in NY and I'm sure TX is different. Also have her ask about and take the defensive driving course. It's a few bucks to get the paper and it saves you 15%, at least here in NY. That may vary as well.

Ranger
02-17-10, 11:36 AM
I also have Erie. Cut my rate from Farmers in half when I switched, but I don't think they are in Texas.

CadillacCastle
02-17-10, 12:20 PM
Farm Bureau is the lowest priced I have found in Texas. I pay 260.00 for 6 months of full coverage for my 1998 Deville. I was told about Farm Bureau having the best price from a friend that worked for Allstate insurance. I was paying 115.00 a month at Farmers insurance before I changed to Farm Bureau. Geico was not cheap when I asked them. Also my house insurance is only 419.00 a year fron Farm Bureau.

Stingroo
02-17-10, 12:21 PM
Farm Bureau is the lowest priced I have found in Texas. I pay 260.00 for 6 months of full coverage for my 1998 Deville. I was told about Farm Bureau having the best price from a friend that worked for Allstate insurance. I was paying 115.00 a month at Farmers insurance before I changed to Farm Bureau. Geico was not cheap when I asked them. Also my house insurance is only 419.00 a year fron Farm Bureau.

WTF?! $260 for full coverage?

God DAMN I wish I wasn't 19 right now. :(

Submariner409
02-17-10, 02:39 PM
I pay my 4 State Farm policies as one monthly sum, and right now it totals about $1800/year, which includes the car, truck, home (with healthy riders for some interior content items), and property/accident liability on 3 condominium boat slips which we own and rent out. The car and truck are each about $400/year, home is $750, and slips are $260-something.

Albertan
02-17-10, 02:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. When she moved down there I set her up with an agent from Allstate. She had been looking at Geico and sent me a form that she was supposed to fill in. It had liability of 25,000! I've had liability of a million up here in Canada for years. No wonder some insurance is less expensive.
My brother in Dallas has State Farm. I already told my daughter that she needs the real live agent. So I think she will realize her insurance was reasonable to start with. I'll also have her check with Farmers.