: Oil pan gasket material?

malibuandryan
02-15-10, 02:53 AM
Hey guys, I now have the engine on the stand..(it was very difficult to separate that engine from the trans)...anyways does the oil pan actually have a gasket? I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't.....What supplies do I need to reinstall this oil pan.....I haven't taken the pan off yet.....by the way, I don't know if I did this right, but the only way I got the engine to seperate was unbolting the tranny mount to cradle(doing that allowed me to maneuver the tranny enough to allow the engine to lift straight up)...Was I suppose to do or was there something easier??....Anyways I got it out and know I'm not looking forward to putting back in:crying:....Thanks again

1997 Deville Concours

Krashed989
02-15-10, 04:51 AM
the oil pan has a molded silicon gasket... If you replace it with another of the same type, I have had success with using the gasket and running a bead of RTV on the inside and outside of the gasket. I used my finger to spread the inside bead so chunks of RTV wouldn't be floating around in the crankcase... The dealership will not replace that with another silicon gasket. Instead they have an extremely thick RTV sealant that they use.

cl1986
02-20-10, 01:04 PM
i did the pull the gasket and use the gm sealant as described in the service bulletin, working great i have no leaks anywhere WOOHOO!

The gm sealant is so thick it stays right where you want it, i actually had to heat mine up just to get it out of the tube. I also did my half case with same procedure

for me it was the starter giving me issues for seperating the motor (you probrably had yours out?) Dont worry about it, it goes back together just fine, i even thought it was easier putting it all back together.

malibuandryan
02-20-10, 02:19 PM
I just purchased a new Felpro gasket for the oil pan...What I did was clean up the surfaces, installed the new oiled seal on the oil pan and torqued down all bolts, also with Loctite.....Do you think I need to remove freshly sealed oil pan and apply RTV sealant along with the gasket??? To me it looked like it sealed very well? Let me know what you think.........Plus I think I'm going to use some RTV sealant on the timing cover along with the old seal....Ryan

1997 Deville Concours

Krashed989
02-20-10, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't trust just the gasket... but that's just me.

cl1986
02-21-10, 11:52 AM
i agree, pull it back off and at least surround the seal with the rtv (only use the gm rtv $10 a tube, nothing else will work, get it at the dealer)

i wouldnt use anything on the engine front cover, krashed says if that silicon seal is getting hard to replace