: All was fine until... hard cold start prob

97etc
08-14-04, 07:21 PM
Hi Folks,

I have a 97 ETC with about 72000 km (that's 44k south of the border) on it which has been almost problem free (famous last words). I'm now having the problem a few posters have experienced: excessive cranking when cold and an occasional small backfire before it catches if I don't let it crank long enough. Absolutely no drivability issues or starting problems when warm. Needs at least 12 hours before it has the problem again. New battery, good starter, etc.

Left it at the dealer overnight. Predictably, no problem for them and no codes. Fuel pressure was 38 psi on startup, which they said was within normal range. Seems low to me and would suggest the fuel pump's on the way out - but would expect some hesitation when driving. FPR would only be the cause if warm, right? Suggestions are welcomed before I start shelling out.

By the way, called GM Canada about the fuel rail recall. My car was manufactured 02/97 so should be within the recall, but they said there wasn't one. Only had the ABS module recall on file which, unlike the fuel rail, shows up on the Transport Canada website <http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/search_e.asp>. Any other Canucks on the board get a notice yet? Thanks in advance.

Ranger
08-14-04, 08:37 PM
Yes, FPR would be more likely to cause hard starts when warm.

jeffreykeithpike
08-15-04, 01:56 PM
Is the fuel rail leaking? That would cause the problem you are discribing. Could be a tiny pin hole.

97etc
08-27-04, 02:38 PM
Thanks; meant to reply earlier. No apparent fuel rail leak - and the problem seems :suspect: to have gone away. Starting ok now, although it does crank a bit slower on the new battery than it did on the old Delco. No point spending time on diagnosis until something's more obvious.

JSMeloche
08-27-04, 03:43 PM
I called GM canada too and they told me no recall exept resealing the ABS module under the seat.