: Looking to buy a sts-v, what should i know

ray901537
02-11-10, 06:53 PM
Im looking to buy a sts-v and i was wondering what type of problems are common, what should i know that im not going to learn at the dealer? Ive been told to stay away from black raven, does GM have a paint issue? What else should i know before i buy a 2006 that im looking at? lol thanks alot guys!

jedhead
02-11-10, 09:05 PM
I would buy a Certified Pre Owned to get the 6 year 100K bumper to bumper warranty. I did have a wheel hub fail at 33K that was taken care of by warranty.

Bob

ray901537
02-11-10, 09:17 PM
yeah the one I may get comes with a limited warranty but its definitely not CPO...so i should be covered for at least a year but ill probably get an extended one....any other problems?? i cant wait for my V!!!!

PGA2B
02-11-10, 10:10 PM
Mine is Black Raven and my paint is fine (Needs a buff). How many mile are on it?

ray901537
02-12-10, 06:47 AM
48,000 not too bad

PGA2B
02-12-10, 10:27 AM
No, not bad. What kind of extended warranty terms are they offering?

Gusteve
02-12-10, 12:22 PM
If its a 3rd party warranty, and not a GM Certified one, you are probably throwing your money away.

Cataract
02-12-10, 01:50 PM
I am a new owner as of a couple weeks ago. I love the car, definately a large car, but it handles very well with little body roll. I am definately impressed.

My Caddy rep told me that they can't extend the GM warranty unless it currently is still under the factory warranty.. maybe look for a late build '06 or a '07 so you have a chance to extend it if you like? Try giving your local Caddy dealer a call, they gave me a ton of good info about the car, GM warranties, and I even got a pre-purchase inspection done with them where they found a few malfunctions with the car (which they fixed under warranty the day I actually bought it, for FREE!)

ray901537
02-13-10, 07:25 PM
yeah i just put the downpayment on it and will be picking it up this week! i am going to go to my local caddy dealer to extend the warranty because it is elidgable, but is there a reason that everyone tells me to get an extended warranty on it? are there common expensive problems i should know about? i know a warranty is a great thing to have but all i keep hearing is get the warranty! haha

PGA2B
02-13-10, 08:18 PM
Becuase of the complex computer systems and Supercharger I recommend the Ext Warranty. Repairs can be costly if something fails. I didn't think the Cadillac Warranty program applied to cars not bought through a Cadillac dealer??

MacMuse
02-13-10, 10:37 PM
In this case, "Extended Warranty" probably refers to the GMPP offering which can be added to any GM still covered by the original warranty. If differs from CPO (Certified Pre Owned) coverage that is only available on select cars resold by GM dealers. The best GMPP (Major Guard) does not cover as much as the CPO.

06stsv
02-14-10, 09:15 AM
I bought my 06 with 47,000 miles. I went to my local cadillac dealer before the 50,000 miles warranty ended. You have to get the extended waranty done before the factory warranty ends. I purchased the GMPP (Major Guard) warranty for and extended 24,000 miles. I think i paid at the time like 1,500, which i did not think was to bad. But they gave me the option to pay this amount over a 12mouth period interest free. Next month is my last month to pay :)! Also, you choose your deductible. I think mine is 200! But i had a radiator and hub replaced. No problem, the dealer didn't even charge me my deductible and rolled it into the factory warranty for me. Overal, i would highly getting a warranty. Hope this helps.

Nick!

ray901537
02-14-10, 01:02 PM
yeah this really did help guys thanks alot!