: cts wheels

sserg25
02-11-10, 04:22 PM
I have an 06 cts and I was wondering if anyone else has had any issue with the stock wheels corroding. I like the stock wheel. I'd like to keep them if possible. Is there any thing I can do to prevent the wheel from corroding. Also I was if the wheels are covered in the corrosion warranty?

sserg25
02-11-10, 05:17 PM
Here are some pics of my wheels.

Jim D.
02-13-10, 05:10 PM
I don't have a lot of expertise in CTS wheels, but I am familiar with clearcoat issues, and it does look like you have common clearcoat issues that may or may not be related to ferrous particles, road salts or brake dust buildup compromising the clearcoat.

It also looks like the back side of the wheels is not clearcoated, possibly giving a pathway from the back edge.

Generally a wheel wax or -- what I find much easier to use -- a product like Mothers FX Spray Wax used after each wash helps prevent brake dust from bonding and makes routine cleaning easier.

You could also use a car wax (I'd say pure carnauba wax or synthetic) or a plastic polish.

If you have bare aluminum that is oxidizing, you're probably going to have to use a mag polish to clean it up initially, while at the same time not compromising the clearcoat that is remaining. Then use the wax for protection.

It's a difficult situation, especially where you have "weather." Keeping wheels clean is essential to protecting the finish. Even if you can't properly detail the vehicle and its wheels, sometimes a warm bucket of water and some suds and a little bit of time can prevent such worries before they start.

DupliColor has a spray wheel clear, which is available at most auto parts stores, and you could use it to do some touch-up -- in a pinch.