: Calling all wait4me handheld owners....number of miles?

neuronbob
02-10-10, 11:12 PM
I have decided to pull the trigger on a wait4me handheld. FINALLY. Spoke with Jesse last week, with Hannah today and they were patient and helpful with questions.

Before I spend the money, I want to know how many miles you guys have had with the handheld and whether there have been any mechanical issues.

I've pretty much had it with the funky stock transmission programming. An example: When in "D", I accelerate to pass on the freeway, and take my foot off the gas to allow for traffic. The tach remains stuck at 2.5k rpm for what seems like 5-10 seconds....almost as if it is waiting for me to get back on the gas. This lack of responsivity is rather annoying. At this point, I use "D" only in inclement weather when I don't want to have fun as I'm driving. Otherwise, I'm in Sport mode all the time.

Is there new tranny programming I should be aware of from GM prior to doing this upgrade?

Thank you! And thanks again, Jesse, for answering my n00b questions over the phone! :thumbsup:

GMX322V S/C
02-11-10, 02:59 AM
I ran mine for over 8,000 miles without a problem.

richeic77
02-11-10, 05:49 AM
I don't forsee his tune being an issue. Many people here are running it with no issues.

cbloveday
02-11-10, 06:22 AM
I got mine about a month ago and have put maybe 1,000 miles including a one way trip of 170 miles to Indiana and back. As stated many people have used this program for a long time and that is why I pulled the trigger. The only issues I've experienced is, I have trouble sleeping for wanting to drive my car! :)

musclesbmf
02-11-10, 09:54 AM
I ran mine for over 8,000 miles without a problem.

ME too. It's the best bang for the buck by far.

Mark

neuronbob
02-11-10, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the comments so far, keep them coming.

My needs are modest....I just want a more responsive tranny and a little extra power. My only other power mod may be an intake, either Jesse's upcoming plastic one or just a modded airbox. I don't need to make 600 whp.

Does anyone know whether GM plans an update to our tranny programming?

LITTLEELVISDAN
02-11-10, 10:40 AM
Had mine for my STS-V for over 50k now. No issues.

Fubar75207
02-11-10, 10:56 AM
As I understand it, the "D" position retains it's stock programming with Jessie's tune. His custom programming only affects the "Sport" position. I have had the engine and transmission tune on my '09 CTS-V for 20k+ miles with no issues.

jwa999
02-11-10, 12:04 PM
Running it for 8000 miles. Actually currently using the "performance", not the "max". Tranny very smooth, except 2nd-3th has a little hick up under power.

First time I got it, I had to pull the BCM fuses. Then a firmware upgrade for SCT fixed that problem, but last time I got it back after an a/c fan module replacement, I had to start pulling the fuses again!

Driving is improved even in "D" mode, because you will get more torque at lower rpms. I know the loaner 3.6 cts' i get will *really* go nuts on the tranny sometimes. Won't upshift.

My only other mod is the K&N filter I put in last week. I had already taken out the snout from the air box and the brake duct for cooler air. The K&N filter seems to have given me 2 extra psi. Needle now goes to 10psi. Car just flies, especially in manual mode. Cooler air probably helped too.

Hans.

Titaniumseeker
02-11-10, 12:10 PM
I've been running my max tune for over 5400 miles with no problems. Some mods include headers and exhaust with more to come.

gnxs
02-11-10, 12:10 PM
Maybe 5k-6k miles on my car since using it.....runs great, 0 issues.

GMX322V S/C
02-11-10, 02:15 PM
Running it for 8000 miles. Actually currently using the "performance", not the "max". Tranny very smooth, except 2nd-3th has a little hick up under power...I was under the impression that the "performance" tune just affected the ECM, while the "max" tune programmed the TCM as well (I always ran the max tune). Mine still has that 2-3 "hiccup" every now and then--but only for the first time after a startup.

jwa999
02-11-10, 03:39 PM
I was under the impression that the "performance" tune just affected the ECM, while the "max" tune programmed the TCM as well (I always ran the max tune). Mine still has that 2-3 "hiccup" every now and then--but only for the first time after a startup.

When i restored to stock before bringing it to the dealer, I noticed how smooth the car drove compared to the "max performance". Kept driving it at stock for about a week. Did notice the lack of performance a lower rpms, so i put the performance tune back in. Been driving it very happily since. Don't know if I got tuned to the tranny, or the tranny is tuned to me. Was thinking to put the max back in to compare the difference.

Hans.

neuronbob
02-11-10, 05:29 PM
As I understand it, the "D" position retains it's stock programming with Jessie's tune. His custom programming only affects the "Sport" position. I have had the engine and transmission tune on my '09 CTS-V for 20k+ miles with no issues.

Now that's what I'm wanting to see, long-term effects. That makes me feel better. I appreciate everyone else's input as well, thank you so much! :thumbsup:

However, now I'm confused about the tranny tune. I assumed it was present on all of the tunes, and that it was used for "D" and Sport mode. This is an incorrect assumption? Sounds like another question for Jesse. I want the engine tune, too, but I really want my tranny to respond when I tell it to.

....and are you still having to pull out fuses with the new SCT firmware? I see one mention of not having to pull fuses above, but in speaking to Hannah yesterday, she indicated it was still needed. Not a big deal at all, just clarifying.

Probably putting in my order today if I can get work squared away early....

GMX322V S/C
02-11-10, 05:52 PM
...and are you still having to pull out fuses with the new SCT firmware? I see one mention of not having to pull fuses above, but in speaking to Hannah yesterday, she indicated it was still needed. Not a big deal at all, just clarifying...I never had to pull the BCM fuses, but having to pull the OnStar fuse may be hit-or-miss. The last time I restored to stock, I forgot to pull the OnStar fuse, but no problem; however, it did have a problem putting the TCM tune back in--then I remembered the OnStar fuse; pulled it and the tunes went back in smoothly. Since the communications are over a data bus, perhaps sources of interruption elsewhere on the bus need to be eliminated by pulling fuses.

Tony407
02-11-10, 11:28 PM
Maybe 5k-6k miles on my car since using it.....runs great, 0 issues.

Same with me, max performance tune. I have not noticed a difference between "D" and "S" in terms of Jesse's tune, only the inherent differences intended by GM.

Tony

neuronbob
02-12-10, 09:21 AM
Ordered last night.

I plan to do a full review detailing a post-dyno, transmission behavior, gas mileage, and daily driveability. There are very few people who have objectively measured the effect of the tunes and (being a neurologist and thus, somewhat of a detailed/trained observer by trade and geek by nature ;) ) I'd like to do as thorough a job as possible.

The mileage should be the easiest thing to document objectively because I track mileage with every tank of gas in my cars. The V's mileage I have tracked since the day I drove it home from Superior. The dyno will be straightforward as well as I plan to use the same shop I dyno'ed in last year, and I have a pre-number. The tranny behavior is harder to objectify. Any easy-to obtain measures I can do on the tranny?

Oh yeah, :woot: I hit 10k miles yesterday. :woot:

Vlakaz
02-12-10, 03:30 PM
Its sounds as if your car is stock at the moment (like mine), a dyno run before tune is applied and after rune is applied on a totally stock car would be interesting to see.

I would luv to see basic dynos like...
1. stock for a baseline
2. tune only
3. tune and KN Filter only.

Regarding a factory new tune, I thought I read on another post that someone took the car to the dealer and they noticed the auto shifting better afterwards... they were not sure if the dealer flashed the car with a new tune or not though. I plan to have the dealer check on new programs for my car once I take it out of winter storage and go complain about lack of response in D mode... if there is nothing then I too will likely pop for the handheld :)

neuronbob
02-12-10, 10:28 PM
^^^^^
I have a baseline dyno with only the Corsa Touring exhaust. If I have a chance, I'll do a pull immediately before and immediately after using the tuner. Not planning on a K&N filter at this time. If I do it, I simply will change it out when the time comes to clean, instead of cleaning it and risking oil on the MAF filter.

I saw a thread in which an owner had a new tranny installed, and the shifting was better. This is what caused me to ask above on a couple of occasions whether GM has new transmission software.

I spoke with Jesse today to inquire about a couple of points noted above. He indicates that the transmission tune works in both "D" and "Sport". The transmission situation I described in my original post is apparently normal for "D". I thought that behavior was only normal in the "Sport" mode as the car is anticipating my getting back on the gas, as in after a turn on the track. I do understand that the tranny will allow for a faster kickdown in other situations, instead of bogging the engine when you need to accelerate.

neuronbob
03-04-10, 01:11 AM
I tried the tuner last week. Got the tunes loaded without having to pull fuses. :woot:

Which tune is best for winter? I thought there was a separate winter tune.

I received mild, max, max with 160 deg, and valet tunes. I started with the mild tune and the fans came on immediately upon starting the car. I had no idea our fans were that loud. :D Kinda overkill for 30-35 degrees outside temp, no? Tranny shifts were awesome. Switched back to stock tune last week prior to the big storm that pulled through and since the weather is "nice" (temps mid-30s and no snow for the next few days), I thought I'd put the tune through its paces.

Still learning and evaluating....

Somefun
03-04-10, 06:35 AM
[QUOTE=anonfrank;2168256]I tried the tuner last week. Got the tunes loaded without having to pull fuses. :woot:

Which tune is best for winter? I thought there was a separate winter tune.

I received mild, max, max with 160 deg, and valet tunes. I started with the mild tune and the fans came on immediately upon starting the car. I had no idea our fans were that loud. :D Kinda overkill for 30-35 degrees outside temp, no? Tranny shifts were awesome. Switched back to stock tune last week prior to the big storm that pulled through and since the weather is "nice" (temps mid-30s and no snow for the next few days), I thought I'd put the tune through its paces.

Velet tune? Does that come with the hand held tuner as standard?

CTSV4now
03-04-10, 05:09 PM
Had the tunes from Jesse about a week now. I am using Max Performance tune.

The very first time I went WOT from about a 40 mph roll in sport mode with TC in competition mode, the tranny shifted all the way down to 1st and I left at least a 10ft patch of rubber! It did that for at least 5 more 40mph punches.

Next day, it must have learned that it was losing traction because it didn't downshift to 1st when I duplicated the 40mph roll punch (did it on the same road and all). It went to 2nd and I had full traction. So I guess it learns as it goes. Anyone else have this experience?

neuronbob
03-04-10, 06:51 PM
Velet tune? Does that come with the hand held tuner as standard?

Jesse emailed four tunes to me to place on the handheld. The Valet tune was one of them. It limits hp and speed so valets (and pesky teenagers :D ) don't screw up your car.

I got my answer to my last question from Jesse himself...called him up today. The tunes work fine for winter driving, he says. He also explained the fans....they are on at max only with low rpms to maintain airflow.

New tank of gas....new tune (mild for now....)...time to experiment.

Tony407
03-04-10, 08:03 PM
It will be interesting to hear about your experiences with the different tunes. Since I've had mine I've only used max performance, so I have nothing to compare it to besides how the car came from the factory. I remember how I felt the first time I floored it after the tune: Holy crap! Violent! I love it! LOL

Tony

CoOlSlY
04-25-10, 05:58 PM
Today, with the max tune loaded, spirited driving, was in "D", floored it and when I left the accelerator, the RPM stayed stuck at 4500rpm. Have anybody been able to remedy this behavior?

cbloveday
04-25-10, 06:09 PM
No never

CoOlSlY
04-25-10, 06:13 PM
No never

So you mean you experienced it and there's no "cure"?

cbloveday
04-25-10, 06:17 PM
Sorry, no this never happened to me. Are you sure the mat didn't shift and disrupt the proper release of the accelerator?

CoOlSlY
04-25-10, 06:19 PM
Sorry, no this never happened to me. Are you sure the mat didn't shift and disrupt the proper release of the accelerator?

100% sure... Since it was staying at 4500rpm, I've put it in "sport mode" and it shifted right away

cbloveday
04-25-10, 06:25 PM
Very odd and dangerous. Has it happened more than once?

CoOlSlY
04-25-10, 06:48 PM
Maybe it's not clear but when I wrote that it was staying stuck at 4500rpm, it's more that when I leave the accelerator, the car will not shift, it will begin to decelerate but I tried it a few minutes ago and it stayed at 5500rpm and began to decelerate but I would "like" the car to upshift... I think amonfrank had this problem also.

Tony407
04-25-10, 06:52 PM
I don't get it, CoOlSly. Could you please explain what it's doing in more detail?

Tony

neuronbob
04-25-10, 07:19 PM
The behavior you describe is normal for the transmission programming and also happens with the stock transmission program, as I can attest from my own experience. The transmission is programmed not to shift in this situation as it assumes you are on a track and not on the street....it's an adaptive program that determines whether you are in a competitive situation in which you wouldn't downshift. This topic has been discussed a few times, and I myself asked about this when it happened to me. It is honestly a little annoying, but I have adjusted to it. I wish that type of tranny programming could be a button push away for when you are at the track.

As to the topic of this thread, I've now put about 3000 miles on with the tunes, judged mileage. I am in the final stage of my testing. I have been trying to get to the dragstrip for the last week....was going to go Friday night, but patient care nixed that. Will probably get there in about ten days. I also plan a dyno in the next week or two. After that, I'll write up a review and decide whether to keep the tunes.

HTH, Bob

Tony407
04-25-10, 09:02 PM
The transmission is programmed not to shift in this situation as it assumes you are on a track and not on the street....it's an adaptive program that determines whether you are in a competitive situation in which you wouldn't downshift.

This is what I think as well, but I was trying to ascertain if I was missing something. I want the car to hold this high rpm - at least for a little while - because I might be approaching a turn in which case I want it to hold the lower gear.

Tony