: ESV getting 8.9 MPG

Biglife
02-09-10, 08:48 PM
The average mileage for my vehicle used to be 14.7 but since I've been driving to and from class (distance of 2 miles) I reset the computer and have been averaging 8.9 MPG. Can my small distance commutes really account for this terrible gas mileage or is there something wrong with my vehicle? I'm taking it into the dealership next week for some unrelated maintenance, should I have them check/replace anything?

TIA

PreachRR
02-09-10, 08:54 PM
Unfortunately that seems to be the way it is.. It seems as if my truck drinks heavy until it reaches operating temp and then she leans out.. Might be an electronic choke feature in the programming.. and you doing all of two miles never get to that full operating temp..

CaddyMan421
02-09-10, 09:58 PM
I would think that is pretty normal. I drive 3 miles in the EXT everyday back and forth from class through the city and average anywhere from 10-12 mpg. I do think your truck is a bit heavier than mine but I can't say for sure. On the highway I get about 17-19 mpg depending on conditions.

Now if you are driving on the highway with minimal traffic I would think something is wrong.

Biglife
02-09-10, 11:08 PM
Thanks for your quick replies I guess I'm somewhat relieved although it's a shame I have to live with this MPG. I will most likely be purchasing the Diablosport tune and possible the Volant or GM CAI but from what I've heard these are a wast of money.

evois
02-09-10, 11:21 PM
try using better gas, I use shell or exxon or bp and get better mileage.

sj1400
02-10-10, 12:23 AM
How is that 2 mile commute ? Stop n go traffic the whole way ?

Biglife
02-10-10, 02:14 AM
I hit one stop sign but not too much stop and go - I'm pretty sure the MPG is due to my commute I should probably start riding a bike to class at the end of the month when I'm running low on $$ hah.. I only put 93 octane in my rig but I'll start sticking to Shell to see if that changes again. Thanks for the suggestions and help everyone!

Robert (GA)
02-10-10, 03:39 PM
If you are only driving 2 miles and your speed is 25-35 mph your mileage will suffer. I had a similar situation when I had a 94 Roadmaster. I was driving about 2 miles each way to work at 25 mph tops and only got about 10 mpg on average. When I moved and started driving longer distances at 45 mph or higher I went back up to 17 mpg for city and 25 mpg for highway driving.

Gigantor
02-11-10, 01:12 PM
If you buy an Escalade, great gas mileage is not one
of the drivers to purchase it, if you want great gas
mileage around town, buy a Civic.

My Escalade gets 19 to 21 mpg highway and 10-14 around
town, but if you have a heavy foot, you would be lucky
to get 10mpg

buckeyefan007
02-15-10, 07:43 PM
Where are you located. I know in the winter my milage drops also, seems the deeper the snow, the worse milage I get. In colder region I know they usually sell a different mixture of gasoline for the colder months and this also helps to decrease you milage. Like it was said earlier, this engines take a long time to get up to operating temperature, so in your short trip you are probably running full rich with your mixture.

Biglife
02-16-10, 01:23 AM
Ah that's a great point buckeye... The engine never warms up on my short trips in snowy conditions. It'll be interesting to compare my mileage now to my fuel efficiency in the spring

SouthernCaddy
02-20-10, 07:39 PM
I just drove 700 miles on vacation, set it on my ESV when I left, has some in town driven. Rode with the criuse on most of the way. Still reads 19.6 MPG and I ran 73 the whole way!!! And I went to the mountains in tenn so it used a little more going up and down hills.

Going slow and stoping will give you a false reading also. Want to know what you really get? Fill it up and drive it one week. See how many miles you went and then fill it back up and see how much gas it took. Devide the gallons into the miles and you will get a true reading!