: GM advanced two-way remote upgrade

djmodifyd
02-05-10, 11:22 AM
For those that may be interested, or that don't know about it, I got my two-way upgrade installed yesterday at the dealer.

Dealer did it for $280 + tax, took about 3 hours to install.

I really like it so far, i have a noticeable increase in range (dealer said upto 1500 ft range, up from the factory 200) I can easily start from places i couldn't before.

Also has advanced features (which have no point..but are cool anyway), the fob will show me my tire pressures, odometer reading, fuel tank level, and allow me to change radio stations on my radio (they say its for use when tailgating). It also shows a countdown timer for when the vehicle will shut off, and let you know if you are out of range of the remote.

and of course tell you when your hatch is open, doors locked/unlocked, and if the vehicle has been remote started.

All in all i think it was worth it, i wanted to do the GM upgrade rather then go aftermarket to keep things working correctly, and i like the fact that it ties in with all the other systems.

Alien
02-05-10, 11:29 AM
I guess the thing I see most useful is finding out if your truck is still in range... while your parked outside of your home...or is it going down the block, while someone pushes it...

evois
02-05-10, 11:56 AM
can it open the liftgate or window? I guess if you're that far away, there is no use for those function.

djmodifyd
02-05-10, 01:21 PM
I guess the thing I see most useful is finding out if your truck is still in range... while your parked outside of your home...or is it going down the block, while someone pushes it...

well..it is usefull if im at work and can't see it..or in the mall or something

djmodifyd
02-05-10, 01:22 PM
can it open the liftgate or window? I guess if you're that far away, there is no use for those function.

yes you can...has both buttons, one for glass one for liftgate. and yea if you're that far away you don't need it...but if you bump it, it will tell you its open ;)

Alien
02-05-10, 02:07 PM
well..it is usefull if im at work and can't see it..or in the mall or something

No... I agree ... not knocking it... I bought a Zoombak just for that reason.. to get an email if my truck leaves my yard....My cells set to notify me for that email account.

I even set it up at hotels I stop at to alert me there also..

BTW... what does it look like?

djmodifyd
02-05-10, 03:36 PM
No... I agree ... not knocking it... I bought a Zoombak just for that reason.. to get an email if my truck leaves my yard....My cells set to notify me for that email account.

I even set it up at hotels I stop at to alert me there also..

BTW... what does it look like?

I'll take a picture later if I remember

LeftLane
02-05-10, 03:51 PM
here is a pix http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Cadillac/2010/Escalade/Remote%20Start/?src=cadillac&tx_gmshopb2b_pi1[type]=gm

ugly to me :bonkers::bonkers:

LeftLane
02-05-10, 03:55 PM
can you still use your factory remote with the gm accessory remote?

WaterKing
02-06-10, 01:26 AM
Yes you can continue to use the regular factory remote interchangably. If you look in the manual you can see the vehicle can be programmed for several remotes and keys (can't remember exact number) and it is easy to program yourself. The only thing I do not like about the two way remote is it's size and the screen cover gets scratched easily.

trashguy
02-06-10, 04:03 AM
Is this just a remote or a module in the truck ? Can it be self installed?

djmodifyd
02-06-10, 03:45 PM
Is this just a remote or a module in the truck ? Can it be self installed?

its a new remote, module and antenna. You cannot install it because you need a techII to program it.

The antenna is attached to the 3rd row driver side window

Gigantor
02-08-10, 01:04 PM
Does it come with a carrying case?

LeftLane
02-08-10, 01:53 PM
Does it come with a carrying case?

no

http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Cadillac/2010/Escalade/Remote%20Start/?src=cadillac&tx_gmshopb2b_pi1[type]=gm

mattroberts123
02-08-10, 02:13 PM
A few guys made posts about this a year or so ago... if I remember correctly, they said that the remote was HUGE in comparison to the factory remote.

For the money, I would take it and have a REAL alarm put into the vehicle.

The Clifford brand by D.E.I. is a REALLY good high end alarm.. It also now has a module that you can buy, which allows you to control your car via your iPhone... so you can turn it on/off, lock/unlock, from anywhere in the world.

LeftLane
02-08-10, 03:25 PM
A few guys made posts about this a year or so ago... if I remember correctly, they said that the remote was HUGE in comparison to the factory remote.

For the money, I would take it and have a REAL alarm put into the vehicle.

The Clifford brand by D.E.I. is a REALLY good high end alarm.. It also now has a module that you can buy, which allows you to control your car via your iPhone... so you can turn it on/off, lock/unlock, from anywhere in the world.

Viper SmartStart
http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/

Biglife
02-10-10, 02:31 AM
How much do those vipers run installed? I hear it's more difficult than usual w the escalade...

djmodifyd
02-10-10, 11:39 AM
i went with the GM upgrade due to the fact that it is GM, there is no wire splicing involved, and i know it will work with all the electronics in the vehicle.

With complicated vehicles like these putting in aftermarket starters you tend to lose features on the vehicle.

mattroberts123
02-10-10, 12:07 PM
i went with the GM upgrade due to the fact that it is GM, there is no wire splicing involved, and i know it will work with all the electronics in the vehicle.

With complicated vehicles like these putting in aftermarket starters you tend to lose features on the vehicle.

I understand, and partially agree with your reasoning on this. The problem is that this is still the 'gm' factory alarm.... It is not an alarm by my standards, and still makes it easy for a criminal to steal the car. There are no glass break sensors or anything, so unless a thief opens a door, the alarm isn't going to go off.

I know they get expensive and there are wire splices involved... but if you want a true alarm and want to really prevent theft as much as possible... you basically have to go aftermarket.