Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1998-2003 STS Very Surprised

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ECha3 
#1 ·
You know how cars can look dated quickly?

Well...going back to the 1993-2003. Its still a fine looking car today in 2010.
Do you agree?

I think the 2005+ STS will also hold up to the years.

What do you think?

#3 ·
I totally agree. In my opinion, the fourth generation Seville introduced as a 1992 model was the beginning of Cadillac's comeback. Those models and the fifth gen that you are commenting on are great cars. They had (have?) it all, styling, engineering, features and quality. And yes, I know they're not perfect so don't start ranting about everything you found wrong with them. To me they are classic and will stand the test of time. I still admire one when I see a well maintained example. Sadly, I see too many that have been badly neglected.

I also think that the new Art & Science look that has migrated to the entire Cadillac line is another winner and will probably be in use for at least another ten years or so. High end examples, like the V series, will be treasured classics some day.

#4 ·
That's something that's always interested me. Sometimes a new car looks so revolutionary and "cool", and then 5 years later it's tired, ugly, dated, or just makes you go "what the hell were we thinking?"

My opinion on the 05+ STS is that it's pretty timeless, I mean, some cars just have a look that stands on its own without needing any context to look good.

#7 ·
Yep, they look good. In many ways I prefer them to the newer ones, except that they were FWD (but they look more or less RWD and this is a styling discussion).
I've driven my grandma's SLS (2002 or 2003 I believe) quite a bit, I really don't think it's any roomier or comfier than my 2005, but I do like how there is more wood on the interior, and in some ways a more substantial feel.

The only thing I didn't like about the old Seville was the horizontal tail lights... To me vertical tail-lights (or going back really far the bullets) are a Cadillac trademark, and are missed.

#8 ·
We really liked the looks of our '98 STS. I don't prefer FWD but otherwise, that was an outstanding car. I like my 2006 1SG better as a car and I thinik the looks hold up well. But the '98 had beautiful lines back to the squared-off tail like my old Triumph. That body was artistic when contrasted with the sameness of so many high-waisted modern cars. At least our STS's have enough style for Ford to copy! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.