: TPS relearn

99Classillac
02-05-10, 12:55 AM
Anyone know if a 04 Northstar needs a newly installed TPS to be relearned or adjusted? I put a new TPS on the other day and it was ok, but I am still getting stupid idle problems and lag when I hit the throttle. RPM's actually drop before they go up. Some cars need to relearn or adjust the throttle position sensor. True for a N*? Any help would be appreciated.

97EldoCoupe
02-05-10, 01:57 AM
99 I'd love to help you here but my subscription to Service Information expired and I haven't renewed yet. Hopefully Ewill or AJ will come around and answer this. You've got an 04! Congrats, and change your coolant.... (lol) my '04 Bonneville was in need of HG's already. All done and purring like a cat.

99Classillac
02-05-10, 10:23 AM
Hey 97! Yea my coolant got changed by the dealer when the crossover gaskets went bad. As fasr as what is happening, I posted it in the Deville forum. I was getting high and low idles. I know it wasn't plenum because I replaced it earlier in 2009. I also replaced the pcv valve and hosing for it. I know there is no leaks on the intake manifold. I put it all together real nice. It ran for almost a year perfect. In Dec, I started getting a vacuum leak symtom again. It kept doing whatever it wanted on the idle. It also started to buck on the tranny. It would change gears real hard sometimes and on hwy, wouldn't downshift when trying to accelerate. At first I thought it was a vacuum leak, but the trans doesn't have a vaccum hose and I checked for leaks. I checked codes and got some trans codes like P1811 which is long shift code or something. I also got a P0121 code, tps inactivity. I figured it was the Throttle Position Sensor going bad and that was the reason for the no downshifting and messed up idle. I posted a thread about the TPS here. But anyway I replaced the TPS with a brand new one. I did the work myself, it was easy. It ran fine for a couple days, but yesterday started to do its idle thing again and no downshifting! So I pull codes and once again I get a P0121! I know the TPS is good. It's brand new. I read around some TPS's need to relearn or rather the PCM needs to relearn the new TPS. I know these TPS's aren't adjustable like the older ones. I'm just really getting tired of my DTS. I can't enjoy and drive it. I got it at 32K miles. It's got 95K now and every 10K miles, I've had to do something to this car. I have never went more than 10K with enjoyment. 10K miles isn't a lot. At least it not HG's. Knock on wood. But any tips from anyone would help. Anyone know where the PCM is. I'm gonna check the wires from the TPS to the PCM. Maybe there is a connectivity issue since sometimes the TPS seems to work, and like yesterday it won't. HELP!!!

97EldoCoupe
02-05-10, 04:14 PM
The PCM should be under the air cleaner box in a plastic case. I'm having my GXP emissions tested now- I hope it passes.

99Classillac
02-05-10, 07:40 PM
Found the PCM. Couldn't find the wire for the TPS. I give up. It's goin to the dealer on Monday. Lindsay Caddy, hopefully EWill3rd will look at it and fix it for me.

Ranger
02-05-10, 11:03 PM
Ask for Bill.

ewill3rd
02-06-10, 11:02 AM
Ranger we have 3 Bills now, and two are techs :(

I have been talking to 99 and he knows who to ask for specifcially.
I have a big job coming in Monday morning but I'll work this one in too.

Provided anyone can get out! The weather, as you may know, is pretty insane right now. Not sure how long it will take the county to remember my street is here.

99Classillac
02-06-10, 05:06 PM
Lol yea it's still snowing out there. I hope they clear the roads by Monday.

99Classillac
02-12-10, 12:07 AM
Bill fixed my car! Man I feel great! It ended up being the IAC. It was stuck and making the PCM think the TPS was wrong or something like that. Bill can explain. Its weird that the code I kept getting was a bad TPS code, but the TPS was fine and I was not getting codes for the actual problem. Plus I was getting symtoms of a bad TPS. It's weird. Learn new stuff all the time though. Glad I got it diagnosed and fixed. I coulda replaced the part myself, but I didn't wanna keep throwing parts at the car hoping it would fix the problem and not be sure. I'll pay more if I know that what I am paying for will definitely fix the problem. Glad I took it to Bill though. I know I got an honest assessment and not some BS hyped up "problems" I need to fix "asap". Thanks Bill.

ewill3rd
02-12-10, 08:17 AM
You are most welcome.
I still find it hard to believe you faced such harsh road conditions to bring it down, but at least it gave me something to do :lol:

I'll be here if you need anything else, just let us know!