: $300 for ceramic coating Kook's long tube headers?

Gary Wells
02-04-10, 09:10 PM
I am getting ready to have headers installed on my '09 CTS-v. I would like to have the primaries tubes back to the 1st connector ceramic coated, (not the full header length). Does $300 sound a little high to anybody else?

OldRoadDawg
02-04-10, 09:26 PM
That's about what I paid for JetHot (http://www.jet-hot.com/headercoatings.html) coating on a set of B&B headers for my V1 + shipping on top of that.

Gary Wells
02-04-10, 09:34 PM
That's about what I paid for JetHot (http://www.jet-hot.com/headercoatings.html) coating on a set of B&B headers for my V1 + shipping on top of that.
How did you like it, and do feel that it was worthwhile in combating underhood heat?

OldRoadDawg
02-04-10, 09:46 PM
Aww Gary... I knew you were gonna ask that.

After I got the headers back from JetHot I took my V to a tuner for the install & dyno tune... only to find out that he went out of business. So while I was in a holding pattern looking for another installer, everything fell into place to buy the V2. So I never got them put on. But they sure looked purty.....!!
Sorry, not much help for you.

Gary Wells
02-04-10, 09:56 PM
Yes, they certainly do.

Ross L
02-05-10, 08:25 AM
Gary, have you considered Swain? I've read only good things about their coatings. A much thicker , true ceramic. I'm sure you've heard of them over on the Buick forums. I did my GN headers black ceramic and they've held up nice just not as pretty. Lol.
Ross

Gary Wells
02-05-10, 01:43 PM
Gary, have you considered Swain? I've read only good things about their coatings. A much thicker , true ceramic. I'm sure you've heard of them over on the Buick forums. I did my GN headers black ceramic and they've held up nice just not as pretty. Lol.
Ross
Ross: I had their name on the tip of my tongue but just could not remember it. I have recommended their shop quite a few times over on TB.com as they were one of the first successful shops to then difficult processes. I believe that they were the first to do ceramic processing inside and outside successfully. Thanks for the reminder.

Caddyscat
02-07-10, 02:00 AM
I once had a set of SLP headers Jet-Hot coated on my 97 trans am. after about a month, they lost their luster. maybe it was because I never really got the car tuned after install and they got hot. They still look pretty bad ass coated tho.

Gary Wells
02-07-10, 08:40 AM
I once had a set of SLP headers Jet-Hot coated on my 97 trans am. after about a month, they lost their luster. maybe it was because I never really got the car tuned after install and they got hot. They still look pretty bad ass coated tho.
Caddyscat:
From my experience with turbo Buicks and other cars using any type of ceramic coating process, they will lose their luster but generally not that quick. Depends upon the amount of heat developed though. Even though they can and probably will lose their luster in high heat application / areas, they still keep the under-hood heat down and will extend service life of any accessories that is heat sensitive. And lusterless ceramic coat beats the heck out of rust from non stainless steel application and even beat the heck out of stainless steel application that turns brown.