: Synthetic Oil

producerman
02-03-10, 10:08 PM
I run synthetic 5w30 penzoil in both my Escalades - 08 has 90,000kms and 06 has 102,000 kms. I just changed my oil today in the 08 and was wondering.

Because it is synthetic oil should I just follow the computers instructions on both when oil life reaches 0% or should I reset it and still go longer. How many miles/KM does it take to go from 100% to 0%?

Just wondering.

Thanks

Dave1972
02-04-10, 09:23 AM
The oil life is a function of your driving conditions (including mileage). Some say that 5,000 miles (sorry I don't have conversion to Km) is a decent number to go by. My wife's Mercedes uses Mobil 1 from the factory and their oil change intervals are 15,000 miles or every year, whichever comes first. I've used M1 for years and years in all of my "stuff". I used to have a pickup that I used for hauling/trailering on a regular basis and changed every 5,000 miles or less depending on severity of weather and other conditions.

I have a feeling that if you wait for the oil life indicator to get to 0% from 100% you'll be putting on some pretty serious mileage. I use that as a guide, but since oil is relatively cheap anyway--I change it whenever I feel it's necessary.

Hope this opinion helps in some small way!

producerman
02-04-10, 03:24 PM
WOW - 15,000 miles to an oil change - never heard of that before! I would do like 6-8 oil changes in that time.

Thanks for the input.

buckeyefan007
02-04-10, 10:57 PM
You can buy AMSOIL synthetic that says it lasts for 35,000 miles with their filter.

ERACobra
02-05-10, 10:59 AM
Producerman

In Europe, Opel cars have an oil change interval of 18'750 miles or every year.
Is an normal interval here. Perhaps because oil is much more expensive in the old world. ;)

Greetings from Switzerland

Walter

evois
02-05-10, 02:04 PM
the new mobil 1 EP(extended performance) is made for every 15k mile interval. I use it for my honda pilot and change the oil every 14k miles. I am also using the mobil 1 EP 5w/30 in my new hybrid and at 7k miles it says 30% of oil use left. I'm sure it can go the distance, but under warranty, I am keeping what my MM says. BTW, porsche engines, the interval is every 20k miles because they have a dry sump lubrication.

JRfigo
02-05-10, 02:49 PM
Unfortunately the service guys at dealers are out there to rip you off and they will tell you that you have to change your oil ever 3,000 miles. It's a scam.

slimfro
02-05-10, 02:59 PM
Yup, a HUGE SCAM most peeps out there always fall for: idiots! It's sad to see so many victims of the Oil Change Industry Brainwash. I used full synthetic for all my vehicles and change oil once a year. Been doing that for years and never had a problem, however check the oil level every now and then.