: Water pump tensioner pulley replaced

derone
02-03-10, 09:41 PM
I'd been hearing a very high pitch noise for about 5 seconds when started in the cold. I thought maybe it was the Bose sound system at first and later started listening under the hood. I could hear a little crunching noise around the water pump only when cold. Pulled the belt cover, then the belt and the little pulley was tough to turn. Water pump turns easily. JThe car just turned 100k miles. Found just the new pulley locally for $40 at Carquest. A Gates part #38025. It's not a hard job to replace it; I'm glad I found out what it was, while in the driveway. :yup:

Submariner409
02-04-10, 12:10 AM
Good catch, BUT others in our same year group with a high-pitched whine from the engine room at cold start may be hearing the A.I.R. compressor feeding fresh air to the exhaust manifolds in order to light off the cat...........................

derone
02-04-10, 12:21 AM
True that, it sounded more like a schrill noise and it wasn't consistent like the AIR emissions pump(s).

tateos
02-04-10, 09:21 PM
I just started hearing this the last few mornings on the ETC - very high pitched squeak. It is only for the first 20-30 seconds, and it is intermittent. I got out and looked the first AM, and it seemed to be coming from the water pump area. I assumed it was a worn, dried out tensioner pulley bearing. I planned on changing it out this weekend. I checked it out again this AM, and was amazed to see that the squeaking was not coming from the bearing - the squeak was from the BELT slipping over the tensioner pulley! Wild and crazy stuff! I could see stationary tensioner pulley, apparently with a locked up bearing, and the drive belt slipping over it, making a really loud squeaking sound. After about 20-30 seconds, the pulley started to turn and the sound went away, never to come back the rest of the day.

Anyway, needless to say, the pulley, and/ tensioner is getting replaced this weekend as planned.

Submariner409
02-05-10, 11:56 AM
Make an offering to the Northstar gods - that tensioner pulley could have stranded you in Possum Trot, Tennessee. As an aside, I'll bet the tensioner spring/swing arm is locked so there's actually very little "tension" on the belt itself........change the belt, too.

tateos
02-05-10, 12:42 PM
Make an offering to the Northstar gods - that tensioner pulley could have stranded you in Possum Trot, Tennessee. As an aside, I'll bet the tensioner spring/swing arm is locked so there's actually very little "tension" on the belt itself........change the belt, too.

Yep - that's why it's important to listen and pay attention to unusual sounds coming from your car