: Spark Plugs and Performance Gains-Fact or Fiction?

Dave1972
02-03-10, 03:04 PM
I see that one of the advertisers on this site has listed on their site (or at least endorsed a product that claims...) a 7hp increase if you upgrade to their endorsed product for the low MSRP of $342.42. On a stock 403hp Escalade that's almost a 2% increase in power by just adding better spark plugs. I'm trying to make sense of this and am coming up empty. Little things like the 2nd dyno run usually makes more power than the first just because the first will typically clean out carbon deposits etc. It's my guess that this is snake oil!?!

Thoughts on upgrading plugs/wires to gain power--Real or Fake?
:stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:

My best mod so far has been the addition of the Predator Diablo Tune and adjusting parameters after doing some data logging (thanks to Lew on their support forums for helping). After adding the GMPP CAI, I was unning very lean which is surprising for an otherwise stock set-up. Hoping to find a Corsa touring cat-back for the better sound factor and not expecting hp gains from that addition.

Submariner409
02-03-10, 03:26 PM
If one spark plug made "more horsepower and better economy" than another, one would think that Cadillac (GM) would jump on the chance to get the advertising and CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) ratings boost.

What if the aftermarket spark plug in question were run on the dyno first, then the stock plugs ? Would the results be different ?

FWIW, the ACDelco #41-987 Platinum plugs recommended for my 2002 STS are sourced from DENSO, a highly respected Japanese electrics manufacturer. It would be interesting to trace the source for later models..............

Dave1972
02-03-10, 03:49 PM
submariner--I couldn't agree with you more. If GM could they would. The claim of a 7hp increase by adding plugs and/or wires seems a little outrageous. Just wanted to spark some debate (pun intended) regarding some of this aftermarket "stuff".

humberto
02-03-10, 06:41 PM
I see that one of the advertisers on this site has listed on their site (or at least endorsed a product that claims...) a 7hp increase if you upgrade to their endorsed product for the low MSRP of $342.42. On a stock 403hp Escalade that's almost a 2% increase in power by just adding better spark plugs. I'm trying to make sense of this and am coming up empty. Little things like the 2nd dyno run usually makes more power than the first just because the first will typically clean out carbon deposits etc. It's my guess that this is snake oil!?!

Thoughts on upgrading plugs/wires to gain power--Real or Fake?
:stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:

My best mod so far has been the addition of the Predator Diablo Tune and adjusting parameters after doing some data logging (thanks to Lew on their support forums for helping). After adding the GMPP CAI, I was unning very lean which is surprising for an otherwise stock set-up. Hoping to find a Corsa touring cat-back for the better sound factor and not expecting hp gains from that addition.

SCAM! You would never notice a horsepower gain by just replacing plugs unless of course your original plugs were bad.