Cadillac Owners Forum banner

looking at an '05 ESV Platinum

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  jnrsesv 
#1 ·
Ok fellows I posted here a few days ago about this suv. I now have all documentation on this vehicle. Many of you looked but only a couple reponded. Maybe you are willing to type yea or nay atleast this time, thank you.

Heres the scoop: '05 ESV Plat, 118,000 miles (23,600 a year) This vehicle is immaculate with the exception of 2 Nav buttons show wear ($67.00 on evilbay) and the ALC needs to be replaced (I will do the repair). Corporate bought and owned from local Cadillac dealer. Serviced exclusively at same dealership (I picked up an inch thick folder with records this morning). The worst mark on said records was a repaired/respray right front bumper. Oil changed every 3,000. New Michelins. They are willing to take $17,000.00 for it. KBB is at $20,700.00 with that mileage.

Should I purchase it or run?
Thank you all who had responded and to those that will yea or nay.
Rick

#2 ·
I bought my 05 ESV Platinum in Jan of 09 with 45,000 miles. Mine was "mint" (it really wasn't - the headliner has splatter spots from someone getting their brains blown out(or god knows what!) and the hood had a dent in it that I didn't see until after I picked it up, oh well). Other than that though, it was fine. It had a bunch of minor repairs previously, but all warrantied and no body work. Mine was CPO and I paid $22,500. I've got 78,000 on the clock now, and haven't hit any major issues.

I'm glad I got the CPO one, because a few things broke - most major being a damaged pitman arm/idler tie rod? - but all in all I've been QUITE happy with my truck. Platinum models are awesome - the heated/cooled buckets ROCK and the heated/cooled cupholders are a lifesaver in the heat. My family loves the dual-dvd too. I'm surprised that a truck with that many miles sells so expensively, but they're great trucks man. I'd just have them do a front/rear diff fluid change too just incase it hasn't been done! (or verify it in your maint records)

Good luck!

#10 ·
The miles would turn me off unless it was super cheap and clean.Especially bangin on 120k.$17k doesn't seem like a lot for 05 ESV but for 120k it does.I'd look at 05-06 Tahoe's with low miles for that amount.

With that being said, the 6.0 is a great engine.The front diff would be my main concern.They are the weak point...and rear shocks/air pump.

#11 ·
Yea, you could buy a slightly older one with less miles and mint conditions. Lots of these out there. Besides after a certain mileage (like that one), cars and SUVs start showing little problems here and there - even if serviced regularly- until you will find out how annoying that could be. I have bought my '02 for 11K with 39.000 miles on the dial and almost never had any problems. I know higher luxury attracts, but a Cadillac is still a Cadillac!

#12 ·
I personally wouldn't buy it with that many miles, the money could be better spent somewhere else IMO, But its your buck. I would get it inspected for a second opinion by an independent mechanic to prevent any nasty suprises.

Not a Bad Price but that's prob. due to a hidden issue or the mileage.

GL

#13 ·
When I stopped in at the local dealer that sold and serviced this vehicle to get the records, they were willing to share their ideas about the suv (I think the dozen donuts helped). Again the records showed NO major issues. They basically said the ESV inquestion is a good running vehicle, well maintained (again by them) and that the company that owns it also purchases several Cadillacs a year through them. The dealership would not give their opinion whether or not to purchase it. I have until this Monday to make up my mind.

I am suprised with 134 looksies at this thread there are only 10 responses. I do thank the guys that have replied, don't worry about hurting my feelings or being honest that is what I am looking for from you "experts"! Really who better to ask than Cadillac Enthusiasts anyways. :)

Thank you for your replies!
Rick

#14 ·
Update: Well guys, we took possession of the vehicle (black/beige) yesterday. It had been fully detailed in and out and is cleaner than when we first checked it out! I have added chrome mirror covers and I think I am going to add the rear spoiler above the 3rd brake light. Other than that it'll remain stock.

#17 ·
Apparently a picture is worth a thousand words, but this is even better with sound!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WeLfXXHGkIw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WeLfXXHGkIw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

#19 ·
Yes I agree! Truck is Lu Scola's EXT. He used to be a regular on this forum when I started working on my truck, wonder what happened to him? I must have listened to that youtube footage a thousand times waiting to find a good ebay deal on a corsa sport.

#21 ·
Ducati, I agree with you. If it were not for the dealer records, I believe I would have walked. Along with the 100k maintenance service the dealer did change the diff oil, I am sure not with Amzoil. But I was at the zone a couple days ago and standing in line I picked up a jug of Amzoil and it said good for diffs. I will replace the front at least for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.