: CTS-V and AMG Warranty mods

FormerBMWOwner
02-03-10, 11:28 AM
Is anyone aware of a firm, authorized by GM, that will mod new CTS-V's and maintain factory warranty similar to what AMG does for Mercedes?

Vrocks
02-03-10, 01:10 PM
Is anyone aware of a firm, authorized by GM, that will mod new CTS-V's and maintain factory warranty similar to what AMG does for Mercedes?
They had a high performance division (the V series, ZR1, etc) but I think it was disbanded about a year ago. They said there will be future V series cars but as of right now I don't think they have an offical firm or divsion.

thebigjimsho
02-03-10, 01:39 PM
I'm not sure what the OP means since MB ingested AMG and has been running the ship for awhile. It's in-house like the V is for Cadillac and M is for BMW.

If you mean an aftermarket tuner that works closely, like Alpina, I don't think there is any firm currently trusted to mod away and fully keep the factory warranty.

Bigron
02-03-10, 02:22 PM
That would be like asking if Cadillac had a BMW M division or a Chrysler SRT group.
The V division is that group for Cadillac. As for factory performance parts, I know the V1 had an exhaust by Corsa that was factory approved. Haven't looked into the V2 yet.

Florian
02-03-10, 03:32 PM
Lingenfelter does mods, so does Mallet and they offer a warranty of 2 years, I believe.

F

whisler151
02-03-10, 03:33 PM
He means does Cadillac have anything like Dinan for BMW. You can have the dealership mod it and keep the warranty.

Short answer...no.

Edit: Like Florian said, there are some aftermarket tuners that will warranty their parts. Not sure how that would hold up at the dealership if you ended up blowing the transmission.

Gotham CTS-V
02-03-10, 04:58 PM
Mercedes AMG does not really have any aftermarket tuners that are warranty friendly. There is Kleeman, Renntech, and Brabus but these really are not authorized by MB. If something goes wrong, you will most likely pay. Some dealerships install the mods though so they will make sure it goes through the warranty fine.

There is a local guy by me who has a partnership with the GM dealership and when he mods your car, you go to that dealership for service and you don't have any problems. So every dealership is different.

undertaker
02-03-10, 09:59 PM
Mallett was the only one I knew of, and they went belly up within the past year.

BeagleBrains
02-03-10, 10:50 PM
Copied from: http://www.mallettcars.com/faq.htm
Q: Does the Mallett conversion void the factory warranty?
A: No! The factory warranty remains intact on all components not altered by Mallett Cars, LTD. This means that if you have trouble with the radio in a Mallett 435, for example, any Chevrolet dealer can fix the problem under the terms of the factory warranty. In addition, Mallett Cars, Ltd. provides a 2-year/24,000 mile warranty on all the components we install, including the engine and shock absorbers. If, under normal usage, these components fail, they will be repaired or replaced by Mallett Cars, LTD (vehicle shipping not included).
The Mallett Cars statement: "warranty on all the components we install" implies that their protection is outside of any GM Warranty. As to any concurrent continuation of the GM Warranty, that is not identified here.

garfin
02-04-10, 06:48 AM
The closest thing that GM is involved with the ZL program that SLP does on the Camaro.
http://slpcamaro.com/zl-models/zl550-zl575/

Any of these models can be ordered and delivered through a Chevy dealer. SLP is classified as a Tier 2 supplier and their cars carry a parallel 3 year warranty on their work in conjunction with the standard GM warranty.
Work done on the cars in any of these programs does not void the GM warranty.

I'm sure Ed and Dave would love to do a program for the CTS/CTS-V, but I'm guessing that the main hurdle would be profitability, based on unit volume/demand that would be significantly lower than that of the Camaro.

FWIW, the program that SLP does for the V6 Camaro might be adaptable to the DI 3.6 CTS, since it's the same engine.

Best regards,

Elie

CIWS
02-04-10, 07:45 AM
He means does Cadillac have anything like Dinan for BMW. You can have the dealership mod it and keep the warranty.

Short answer...no.

Edit: Like Florian said, there are some aftermarket tuners that will warranty their parts. Not sure how that would hold up at the dealership if you ended up blowing the transmission.

:yeah:

Any aftermarket work done by other than a dealership MAY permit a dealership to deny a warranty repair related to that modification or something that they deem could affect it. If you get an upgraded pulley for your engine, that should have no effect on the warranty that covers the radio or your seat covers wearing prematurely. But like someone on here just experienced their motor mounts going bad was denied as a warranty repair and the only performance mods on the car are headers and an exhaust. The dealership would have to remove the headers to get to the mounts to replace them and they're not going to accept the liability of doing so because then they own it/them if something like an exhaust leak occurred. It's called Mod Hell for a reason. :lildevil:

02-06-10, 11:31 PM
lookup the magnuson-moss warranty act. Basically it is hard to completely "void" a warranty. In order to deny warranty service, the dealer must assert that your modification caused or was directly related to the failure. This means different things to different dealers. It you add a CAI and headers, and then your NAV system goes bad, maybe it is warranteed. But if you blow your diff, a dealer might be able to assert that your HP increase overloaded your drivetrain, blah blah blah.

And...as someone posted previously, AMG is to MB what GMPD (r.i.p.) was to Gm and Cadillac. The difference though was that AMG was an independent tuner that was bought by GM. GMPD (I think) was built organically from within. At least we can still enjoy the V series as the fruits of their labor.