02-02-10, 09:29 PM
Need help selecting mods

I am seeing Jesse of W4Me this month and definately want the following

heads
cam
lower pulley
tune

Question,

do I need upgraded fuel pump, heat exchanger, headers.

I do not track the car.http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/NUTKICK.gif

With headers I really do not want to be too loud and do not want to have headers with Corsa Sport if it is too loud. I do have the stock mufflers, just don't to waste the corsa sports, although i want the most from the mods.

Opinions please from more knowledgable than me.

Curtis

Razorecko
02-02-10, 10:17 PM
^ most silent exhaust option i know of is using the stock mufflers with the headers. You'll loose probally 10-15hp but sounds almost like stock until you go wot on the throttle. Borla makes really smooth deep sounding exhausts without drone but i've em'd them like 10 times already if they have anything in the works and they never got back. Kinda frustrating that the challenger has an aftermarket base 4x larger than ours and has been out the same amount of time...sigh

qictrk
02-02-10, 11:58 PM
Since your seeing him anyway, I think he will be the best judge as to what you need on your car. It depends on your wallet and what your goal is for the car. Your in good hands. Cecil...........

SlvrBullIT
02-03-10, 01:33 AM
^^^
Amen to that one

Gary Wells
02-03-10, 04:46 AM
If Jesse Bubb is doing the work, I would give strong consideration to his recommendations for what is required for your goals. Well, somewhere between Jesse's recommendations and your billfold's capabilities.

cbloveday
02-03-10, 06:38 AM
thanks guys

musclesbmf
02-03-10, 09:19 AM
I'm jealous!!!
I live too far away....

IPS Brandon
02-03-10, 10:45 AM
Need help selecting mods

I am seeing Jesse of W4Me this month and definately want the following

heads
cam
lower pulley
tune

Question,

do I need upgraded fuel pump, heat exchanger, headers.

I do not track the car.http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/NUTKICK.gif

With headers I really do not want to be too loud and do not want to have headers with Corsa Sport if it is too loud. I do have the stock mufflers, just don't to waste the corsa sports, although i want the most from the mods.

Opinions please from more knowledgable than me.

Curtis

Curtis,
What size lower pulley are you going with? What cam profile ect?

With out knowing specifics you can only guess. But i will give you some of our professional feedback.

You factory fuel pump will be fine, but you will most certainly need larger injectors. We like the new Bosch injectors because of their improved latency times and spray patterns.

You will also undoubtedly need a larger heat exchanger, to help moderate blower temps/ inlet temps. You will be moving more air and at higher pressure so there will be more friction. Get a heat exchanger.

The long tubes will definably help the back pressure on the engine from the increased boost pressure and air flow. They will allow you less stress on the engine, and increase output, even though the factory manifolds preform fairly well. If you are getting heads an cam, there is no doubt you would benefit from long tube headers, and as for sound they are very tame with stock mufflers. Ask Dr. Buzz on the forum he has this exact setup.

If your going so far as heads and cam, you should also very much consider blower inlet work, and throttle body work, the blower inlet.

If you have any questions let us know

Regards
Brandon
http://www.ipsmotorsports.net

cbloveday
02-03-10, 01:08 PM
Thanks Brandon

Here is the build set for Saturday:

Heads
Mild Cam
Heat Exchanger
8.5 Pulley
Injectors
Boost a pump (if required)
May do headers with stock cans or change midsection and retain corsa sports.
Dyno Tunes for my Handheld

3hr & 16 minute drive one way.

Vrocks
02-03-10, 01:17 PM
Thanks Brandon

Here is the build set for Saturday:

Heads
Mild Cam
Heat Exchanger
8.5 Pulley
Injectors
Boost a pump (if required)
May do headers with stock cans or change midsection and retain corsa sports.
Dyno Tunes for my Handheld

3hr & 16 minute drive one way.
cbloveday, I'm just wondering why you've decided on the 8.5 pulley over a 9 or 9.5? I spoke with Wait4Me about upgrading the heads and cam on my V with the 9" pulley, and he said it would put around 575 to the ground (auto) - that power level shouldn't be a reliability issue.

wait4me
02-03-10, 01:27 PM
He already has the 2.55 upper pulley. so that will be about 14-15 psi on his engine. Going to a 9 or 9.5 will be borderline too much blower rpm and would start requiring ported blower assembly, and modified heat exchanger intercooler brick to allow more flow of air thru it. So, i told him to leave it at the 8.5 mark, and then if he does want to go higher, then he can easiely just change to a larger pulley in 10 minutes in his driveway....

Cam choice in this situation will be in the 570 range, 230 duration on a 119 ls. Or if he wants big, then in the 620lift, 245 duration 121ls

cbloveday
02-03-10, 01:28 PM
Not sure why the 8.5. We discussed the 9 inch. He said I would have to change quite a few things. Do you have the 2.55 SC pulley as well? Maybe that is why.

Edit: Jesse just chimed in:worship:

zr1vet
02-03-10, 02:13 PM
Where in the mod process do different injectors need to be installed? Is it a must when changing heads and cam? Or does it primarily depend on how the individual dyno a/f numbers look?

09V
02-03-10, 08:53 PM
What size are our stock injectors? And that is a good question, do we have to upgrade once we add a 2nd pulley or do heads and cam play a role in flowing enough air to require more fueling?

Matt

IPS Brandon
02-04-10, 09:16 AM
Where in the mod process do different injectors need to be installed? Is it a must when changing heads and cam? Or does it primarily depend on how the individual dyno a/f numbers look?

You would determine by injector duty cycle, which is related to how much power the car is producing. Anything about 85% duty cycle, you should consider replacing with a larger injector.

As for A/F ratios, they can give indication of fuel pump flow, but for injectors, you can really just go off of duty cycle (demand on the injector, and it determines this by the load/amount of air calculated).

We have some drop in replacement injectors available now which are very nice. They are Bosch EV14 shorty style high impedance injectors, and are just drop ins. They come in many sizes 60-73-83 pounds per hour. They also have very good minimum pulse width times, allowing them to idle and drive very well, and the spray pattern from these injectors is very good to allow good atomization.

Regards
Brandon
http://www.ipsmotorsports.net

Greg*
02-05-10, 07:29 AM
What size are our stock injectors? And that is a good question, do we have to upgrade once we add a 2nd pulley or do heads and cam play a role in flowing enough air to require more fueling?

Matt

The LSA engine uses the same injector as the LS9 which is rated at 48 lb. I'm almost certain this car (http://www.lingenfelter.com/news/2009/12/first-lingenfelter-c6-corvette-zr1-9-second-14-mile-pass-9813-14574)has made some high nine second passes with stock injectors.